Asexuality in Men - Research

For discussion of general issues pertaining to asexuality.
Tankerbelle0

Asexuality in Men - Research

Postby Tankerbelle0 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:14 pm

My name is Maggie and I am an undergraduate psychology student at Northwestern University working in the Human Sexuality Lab. Our laboratory is interested in examining several psychological aspects of male asexuality.

We have put together a survey, which takes about 15 minutes to complete. The link is below.

https://weinberg.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/? ... uVmvYUiItv

We are also seeking men in the Chicago area willing to participate in a sexual arousal study which takes place on Northwestern's Evanston campus (compensation is $50 cash). A full description of this part of the study can be found within the questionnaire.

Please be assured: The only information collected for this research comes directly from the survey and laboratory portion. The data are confidential, and participants will not be identified in any way.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at sexualitylab@northwestern.edu

Thank you!

IRB Study #: STU00080751

Study Title: Dimensions of Asexuality

Principal Investigator: Dr. Michael Bailey

PiF
Apositive Star

Re: Asexuality in Men - Research

Postby PiF » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:40 am

The intial link seems to be not working

michaels

Postby michaels » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:17 am

Can we please have a biologist, rather than psychologist, studying asexuality for a change? It would bring some sanity to the demented and psychotic world of "self-identification."

runester

Postby runester » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:16 pm

This is a great idea!

Also, can anyone direct me to an asexual community that does not admit sexuals to its membership? Many thanks! :halo:

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:34 am

All research is welcome as long as it's from a serious body. I for one would like to show that asexuals are not just teenage girls going through a phase

michaels

Postby michaels » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:06 pm

PiF wrote:All research is welcome as long as it's from a serious body. I for one would like to show that asexuals are not just teenage girls going through a phase

Especially the 30-year-old women who aren't teenage girls at all.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:21 pm

runester wrote:This is a great idea!

Also, can anyone direct me to an asexual community that does not admit sexuals to its membership? Many thanks! :halo:

I don't know if there are any that remain? If there are, I want no part of them.

There used to be one about 10 years ago and it was WAAYY too weird and cult-ish for me.

You can read more about it in the history article that's at the top of this section.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Ciri
Mega Member

Postby Ciri » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:44 pm

michaels wrote:Can we please have a biologist, rather than psychologist, studying asexuality for a change? It would bring some sanity to the demented and psychotic world of "self-identification."

No. Because that would still be Biological Psychology. Psychology is the study of human behaviour including attraction. Even if you wanted to study brain structure, neurochem it would still equate to Neuropsychology.
You're all dead and I'm your eternal punishment.

Omnes et Nihil
Established Member

Postby Omnes et Nihil » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:14 pm

Tankerbelle0 wrote:My name is Maggie and I am an undergraduate psychology student at Northwestern University working in the Human Sexuality Lab. Our laboratory is interested in examining several psychological aspects of male asexuality.

We have put together a survey, which takes about 15 minutes to complete. The link is below.

https://weinberg.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/? ... uVmvYUiItv

We are also seeking men in the Chicago area willing to participate in a sexual arousal study which takes place on Northwestern's Evanston campus (compensation is $50 cash). A full description of this part of the study can be found within the questionnaire.

Please be assured: The only information collected for this research comes directly from the survey and laboratory portion. The data are confidential, and participants will not be identified in any way.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at sexualitylab@northwestern.edu

Thank you!

IRB Study #: STU00080751

Study Title: Dimensions of Asexuality

Principal Investigator: Dr. Michael Bailey

FYI: Dr. Micheal Bailey (the supervisor of this work) is notorious for using physiological arousal (and only physiological arousal) as a measure sexual orientation, and is also the person primarily responsible for the classification that calls straight trans women "homosexual transsexuals" and lesbian or bisexual trans women as having the paraphilia of "autogeynphila" (for anyone not familiar with that, see a list of some discussions: http://www.tsroadmap.com/info/transsexual-theory.html)

EDIT: just to clarify any potential misunderstandings re: the language used to express my point of information:
1) Bailey privileges physiological arousal above everything else when it comes to assessing/theorising sexual orientation. In doing so, he only uses these in any meaningful way. And this position of is his well-known. (I was not suggesting he has never collected any other kind of data.)
2) Bailey strongly promotes that classification of trans women, and his research is extensively cited by people who want to support it. His work is largely responsible for this classification being implemented. (I was not claiming he came up with the idea.)
3) The link above has discussions about the classification-- it's not about Bailey specifically. Note: "that classification of trans women...." was the antecedent of the "that" in "not familiar with that".
Last edited by Omnes et Nihil on Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaels

Postby michaels » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:54 am

Ciri wrote:
michaels wrote:Can we please have a biologist, rather than psychologist, studying asexuality for a change? It would bring some sanity to the demented and psychotic world of "self-identification."

No. Because that would still be Biological Psychology. Psychology is the study of human behaviour including attraction. Even if you wanted to study brain structure, neurochem it would still equate to Neuropsychology.

You're assuming your own conclusions, Ciri. It is only AVEN's political dogma that asexuality has anything to do with attraction. I'd rather go into research with an open mind than rely on politically-motivated presuppositions to formulate my theories. Asexuality could indeed be purely biological, and it's only the self-interest of political lobbies that prevents us from getting at the full truth.

I know for a fact that not even all members of AVEN staff, past and present, completely subscribe to the political "asexuality is the absence of sexual attraction" dogma, let alone many members of AVEN and members of the general population--and far from many of AVEN's critics.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:08 am

It's true that even some in the backroom doubt asexuality is as simple as the lack of sexual attraction...I would hold that we define that because there is a very fine line between asexuality existing and it not existing at all

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:04 pm

I wonder given how much alleged researchers/graduates ask of our community wether we should stipulate that unless we receive feedback they would go on a barred list for future wishes of help?

It's just we get all these blah blah blah we are interested please have an input, then they rarely feed anything back. Tight wads