How to become one with being asexual: become a nudist

For discussion of general issues pertaining to asexuality.
CatBunny
Established Member

How to become one with being asexual: become a nudist

Postby CatBunny » 22 Oct 2016, 12:06

Saw a post online saying you can overcome sex repulsion and hatred of you body if you go around naked 24/7 , wear a lot of lingerie, take photos of yourself every minute, have tons of sex and so many asexuals are saying yes, this a great idea and sharing this encouraging ace people to do the same.

I... uh? What? Is this a proven method or is someone just talking about what they like to do on friday nights alone?

KAGU143
Administrator

Re: How to become one with being asexual: become a nudist

Postby KAGU143 » 22 Oct 2016, 16:08

I have no idea?
There was a time, back in the 70s, when I was very uninhibited about being nude or being around other nude people. I was young, though, and it didn't take very long for me to figure out that my indifference to nudity wasn't shared by my friends, all of whom were sexuals. For them, it led to thoughts of having sex or wanting to have sex, while for me it mainly led to thoughts of how to avoid bug bites. I think my own views became tainted once I realized that I couldn't trust other people to remain neutral about nudity, so I abandoned the idea of being in clothing optional situations pretty fast.

As for nudity helping to overcome body image problems . . . ? Yes, I think it might. That is, if plenty of other people are also nude, because humans really do come in a variety of shapes and sizes, all of which are perfectly valid, and almost none of them are perfect modeling candidates.
I don't think it will do anything to "cure" genuine asexuality, though. I didn't find nude people to be any more interesting, from a sexual standpoint, than any other kind of mammal. Dangly bits are all a part of nature, like hands, feet, tails, hooves, eyelids, lips, etc; neither disgusting nor arousing - simply parts of the machinery needed for biological life.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Thrasymachus
Established Member

Postby Thrasymachus » 08 Dec 2016, 12:07

What are you describing sounds like a suggestion to become a narcissist, Catbunny. I do think though that alot of people in this society have body image problems on the more shy end of the human spectrum -- and narcissism problems on the more confident end.

CatBunny
Established Member

Postby CatBunny » 13 Dec 2016, 08:37

KAGU143 wrote:As for nudity helping to overcome body image problems . . . ? Yes, I think it might. That is, if plenty of other people are also nude, because humans really do come in a variety of shapes and sizes, all of which are perfectly valid, and almost none of them are perfect modeling candidates.
I don't think it will do anything to "cure" genuine asexuality, though. I didn't find nude people to be any more interesting, from a sexual standpoint, than any other kind of mammal. Dangly bits are all a part of nature, like hands, feet, tails, hooves, eyelids, lips, etc; neither disgusting nor arousing - simply parts of the machinery needed for biological life.

well the weird psa if I could call it that I saw implied going full nudist at home. Like not just being comfortable naked in bed or showering but just eating dinner in the raw, all out all the time. Do your homework nude, work at home naked. I thought it was rather bizarre.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 13 Dec 2016, 17:10

I don't think I would see any problem with it at all as long as it stayed in the privacy of a person's home. I'm not sure if it would help body image issues or not, but it probably wouldn't hurt.

CatBunny
Established Member

Postby CatBunny » 14 Dec 2016, 16:33

KAGU143 wrote:I don't think I would see any problem with it at all as long as it stayed in the privacy of a person's home. I'm not sure if it would help body image issues or not, but it probably wouldn't hurt.

well getting an exotic infection from sitting around naked has always been kinda a horror story i've always heard haha..

michaels

Postby michaels » 15 Dec 2016, 04:05

Let's turn the topic around to wearing clothes.

Clothes are good not only for keeping you warm or cool (yes, cool, which is why traditional Sahara Desert clothing is white), but also for comfort. My desk chair is metal, and when I sit on it without pants on, it literally bugs my ass.

But in a warm summer rain it would be nice to be able to strip naked. Wet clothes stick to me in an uncomfortable way and increase the risk of suppressing my immune system enough to catch a cold. (In a cold spring or fall rain nudity would be detrimental.)

Clothes are also pretty handy for expressing identity. Not much need be said about that.

Finally, clothes are a good outlet for creativity, and an aesthetic stimulant. Someone who is a snappy dresser benefits from applying their talent for dressing well, and other people benefit from seeing them well-dressed. (You don't have to stare at a well-dressed person, but, unless you are envious of them, it makes you feel good to see some real style.)

You'll note that I haven't said anything about clothes for modesty. Clothes for modesty only promote salaciousness. In the English-speaking world we aren't generally aware that people in other linguistic groups, such as France and Germany, are pretty blase about nudity because it's culturally acceptable among them. Anglos are oversexed precisely because of our prudishness. Prudishness accomplishes the exact opposite of what it seeks to accomplish.

CatBunny
Established Member

Postby CatBunny » 15 Dec 2016, 14:51

michaels wrote:You'll note that I haven't said anything about clothes for modesty. Clothes for modesty only promote salaciousness. In the English-speaking world we aren't generally aware that people in other linguistic groups, such as France and Germany, are pretty blase about nudity because it's culturally acceptable among them. Anglos are oversexed precisely because of our prudishness. Prudishness accomplishes the exact opposite of what it seeks to accomplish.

From what I read the post was kinda encouraging people to become nudists. Not just "be naked when you feel comfortable" but go naked almost every single day. The encouraging to wear lingerie and take selfies all the time on the other hand sounds less body positive less personal preference. See that's the problem I had with it, it's about personal preference but people act like it applies to everyone. People don't need to be in lingerie or nude all the time to love their bodies. If you want to be nude once in a while or wear lingerie sure do it, but feeling pressured to just go naked or do any of these things for no reason at all because it's "self love" is kinda bizarre. Same with it encouraging you to sleep with strangers will help you love yourself...I don't know if that's really a smart idea lol

The weirdest part though was asexuals commenting on it saying this will help the asexual community.

Bottom line you can do a lot of these things for fun but pressuring others to because you think it'll help them might not be a good idea.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 15 Dec 2016, 15:28

I really have a hard time equating a desire for frequent nudity with any aspect of asexuality, because I don't see asexuality as being related to a poor body image.
They seem like two completely unrelated subjects to me. They don't exclude each other; they just don't seem to overlap very much.
Now, if a person's poor body image has affected them so much that they fear any form of intimacy, then spending a lot of time being naked might help them. Maybe. But fear of intimacy is not the same thing as asexuality.

michaels

Postby michaels » 16 Dec 2016, 00:07

I agree with you both.

Return to “Asexuality”