Ambition and Motivation

For discussion of general issues pertaining to asexuality.
Lehcar

Ambition and Motivation

Postby Lehcar » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:26 pm

So, I was wondering what kind of impact asexuality might have on ambition (professional or otherwise). I ask because I've heard this theory on occasion that the really ambitious characters in the world are fundamentally 'sexually driven'. Kind of a throw-back to the hunter-gatherer; whoever brings home the biggest piece of meat gets the best/most mates so can produce the babies and win the biological contest (as my bio teacher put it, whoever has the most babies wins! :lol:).

Following this idea, I don't think it's too far a leap to say that many people seek high-paying jobs, prominent status, and just generally strive to be the best in order to start/support a family. How much of ostentatious behaviour is due to a biological drive to reproduce? Are asexuals exempt from this?

I understand that there are those who identify as asexual and still want a spouse, 2.5 children and a white picket fence, and I completely respect their desires for such....but this doesn't describe everyone. Does the asexual community have a higher percentage of individuals willing to 'live and let be' than the entire population, because they don't desire the traditional family unit? Or am I just seeing more 'laid back' asexuals than there really are?

Just musing in the wee hours of the morn. :P
Last edited by Lehcar on Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emmarainbow
Established Member

Re: Ambition and Motivation

Postby Emmarainbow » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:35 pm

I strive to be happy. And to help others to be so. No more, no less. :)

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:05 pm

I would say I am somewhere between laid back and ambitious. I don't want a family, yet I am working towards finishing my degree and getting a higher paying job, despite the fact that I can live quite comfortably on what I currently make. Take that as being ambitious if you will.

ghosts

Postby ghosts » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:32 am

I'd say I'm laid back, but that doesn't mean I'm not ambitious. I'm a generally pretty motivated person, but I'm not aiming to have biological children, soooo... ::shrugs:: I also know some pretty motivated sexual people who aren't looking for marriage & children.

Shockwave

Postby Shockwave » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:33 pm

I'm not an ambitious person when it comes to money and career, those things just aren't very important to me. When I believe I have a duty or obligation to fulfill it's different, that I take very seriously.

ily

Postby ily » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:31 pm

This would be an interesting poll. No, I'm not traditionally ambitious. I can work hard, but only on things that interest me, and even then, only when the mood strikes. I want the products of ambition, but I'm not good at the process. My competitive spirit is pretty much zero, which is really killing me in the work world. Trying to show off or be better than someone else is foreign to me; I hate it.

Placebo
Established Member

Postby Placebo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:36 pm

I'm pretty ambitious and driven, but I'm also quite lazy sometimes.

That said, in my field (the sciences) the classic picture of a "successful" scientist is the lone wolf image, the ambitious driven male working ridiculous hours in the lab to discover __________________ at the expense of ____________________ (pretty much anything). Although, granted, this isn't a field where ambition usually leads to large pieces of meat or money or nice tangible things like that, so it probably draws rather odd folks. And admittedly most of the scientists I know are married, but that image seems to persist anyway.
"Now it's right for me to be me."

Phil Halvorsen, from "The [Widget], the [Wadget], and Boff" (Theodore Sturgeon)

wintermute
Established Member

Postby wintermute » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:36 am

I think saying that ambition is sex related is pretty simplistic, it assumes that we really are purely driving by instinct and have very little self control or even free will, which I don't necessarily agree with. I am ambitious in my work although I primarily look for happiness - I would work more hours for less money if I got to (for example) work from home, doing something I really enjoyed.

Even people who have unlimited means and no need to worry about financial stability usually still want to keep busy although you would think from a biological standpoint having secured all their finances forever they would want to settle down and spend the whole rest of their lives procreating, spreading their genes, but since that rarely happens I think there is probably a lot of other factors at work. But then I'm not an anthropologist so I could be talking through my hat.
Cicero wrote:"Neither can embellishments of language be found without arrangement and expression of thoughts, nor can thoughts be made to shine without the light of language"

Byggvir

Postby Byggvir » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:28 pm

I attend an elite college, and I don't understand the hankering for money many of my classmates display (while of course an equal number are headed off to South America to teach elementary school with no pay, etc). I don't need a swanky apartment on Manhattan or a vacation house in Martha's Vineyard. And I don't understand why people do. I just need a clean space with bookshelves, some furniture, and some natural light.

NightmareKitty

Postby NightmareKitty » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:21 pm

As much as that may be true especially in some career paths, I've actually heard the opposite in some cases (and from people I'm pretty sure aren't other asexuals too!) - that a lack of sexual distraction can allow for great productivity.

Myself? I'm pretty ambitious. Not necessarily in terms of money (though lots of cash would be nice), but in terms of actually making something out of my life. I've always wanted to do well at everything I did, sometimes to the point of frustrating myself or others, and I was pretty little when I decided that I'd do something to change the world. It might not be becoming the President of the US like I wanted to when I was 6, but it better damn well be near the same level of importance. I have some personal ambitions too, especially in terms of companionship, but those somehow seem less inevitable to me than my success in terms of career and purpose.