Japan's "Herbivore Men"

For discussion of general issues pertaining to asexuality.
Gingerbread

Japan's "Herbivore Men"

Postby Gingerbread » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:27 am

"In Japan, sex is translated as 'relationship in flesh,'" she said, "so I named those boys 'herbivorous boys' since they are not interested in flesh."

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/06/05/japan.herbivore.men/index.html?iref=topnews

ily

Re: Japan's "Herbivore Men"

Postby ily » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:57 pm

Hmm...it's hard to have a "keen interest in fashion" and also spend little money...
But that discrepancy aside, I find this really interesting, especially the part about a return to pre-Westernized sexual mores. I wonder if there's a female equivalent, or if women are seen as being on the "flaky and weak" side already.

I remember reading an essay in college about a guy who had to stop eating meat due to a medical condition, and it unearthed all these ideas that our society has on the connection between meat and manhood. It's funny that these herbivore men aren't literally herbivores, but they're painted in the same way as vegetarian men-- flaky, weak, not appealing to women. (However, to a longtime vegetarian girl like myself, vegetarian guys are pretty asexy!)

Gingerbread

Postby Gingerbread » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:46 pm

Hmm...it's hard to have a "keen interest in fashion" and also spend little money...

The extent to which this is true differs from place to place... Idk if Japan has lots of Goodwill/Salvation Army stores, but if they do it just may be possible. In the end it has to do with being hardworking enough to scrounge and then being creative enough with what you have!

Ily, I'm not very sure what you mean by pre-westernized sexual mores. Could you elaborate, please? :)

"Some guys still try to be manly and try to be like strong and stuff, but you know personally I'm not afraid to show my vulnerability because being vulnerable or being sensitive is not a weakness."

This pretty much sums up how I feel, in answer to the adequacy question. Everywhere you go, whether you are a man, woman, transgender, intersex... it doesn't even have to be a gender thing. You could be asexual or sexual (bisexual, gay, pansexual) whatever , there's going to be people telling you you're not _________ enough. I believe people need to make their own standards and not try to fit in them... That's just going to lead to more problems, like denial of self and horrible confusion.

P.S. Love your blog, Ily. :D:D:D

ily

Postby ily » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:42 pm

Haha, it's funny you say that because I work at Goodwill (in the office). And own way, way too many clothes. ;)

In the article, one person quoted said that before Japan had a big Western influence, men that you saw portrayed in literature had more in common with today's herbivore men. That's what I was referring to; I'm not a historian by any means, but it seems like an interesting topic.

And yay, thank you for the compliment! :mrgreen: I'm glad you read it.