What do *you* think causes Asexuality?

For discussion of general issues pertaining to asexuality.
FalconEagle
Established Member

What do *you* think causes Asexuality?

Postby FalconEagle » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:15 am

Edit: Removed due to stupidity
Last edited by FalconEagle on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

apsaf

Re: What do *you* think causes Asexuality?

Postby apsaf » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:05 am

This reminded me of a thread I read on another forum where lesbians were telling, jokingly, what caused them to "become" lesbians. Reading that, I realized that if orientations had causes, I should've ended up a lesbian as well... instead, I just turned out to be a feminist. Somehow, I didn't "become" turned on by females. Sexual attraction has less to do with your experiences or physical organs and more to do with your mind. You could biologically have a high sexual libido and still not feel sexually attracted to anyone.

I don't like it when people try to come up with causes behind asexuality because that implies (to me at least) that they would like to try and 'fix' it, otherwise, why would they ask? Nobody ever asks about the cause behind heterosexuality. What I hate the most is when people try to find biological, physical causes behind asexuality.

In my opinion, there are as many "causes" for orientations (all of them) as there are people. I think it goes back to your own character and personality mixed with your individual experiences throughout life. it's a mixture of everything for each and every one of us, like fingerprints. Even heterosexuals don't share the same heterosexuality.

I'll try to use examples because I'm finding it hard to clearly explain my idea, lol.
For instance, if someone lives through my exact same experiences in life but has a different character, they might grow up to be totally different from me, because of their reactions and the way they interpret or use those past experiences.

Or, someone might experience a totally different life from mine but ends up having a very similar character.

So, from your list, I'll check "b: it just is."

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:42 am

I don't really know.
My suspicion is that it is a combination of personality and life experience. So ... what causes people to have different personalities?

Something which hasn't been mentioned on AVEN (unless I missed it, which is possible) is that such a large number of asexuals are classified as INTJ on the Briggs-Meyer personality test.
Population-wise, it is one of the rarest personality types and yet it seems to be one of the most common ones among asexuals. I think that this is very significant, although I wouldn't know where to begin as far as figuring out HOW it is significant.

Anyway ... I just like to come by and throw a bit more confusion onto the pile.
*LOL* My job here is done!
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:15 pm

Huh, it looks like my post dissappeared.

When it comes to a cause, I suppose by definition there would be a "cause," but I figure it is probably quite multifactored and probably has numerous innate factors, so leveling it to any simple thing would likely be impossible. It would perhaps be easier to simply say "It just is."

The INTJ aspect is interesting, I do believe it was brought up on AVEN before, albeit it would have been years ago, as I recall the discussion occurring before my departure. I don't recall if there were any real discussion on the matter, but the correlation was indeed noticed. Some of the particular correlations were the large amount of introverted personality types (I believe majority of the population is extroverted, while majority of AVEN was introverted (albeit internet forums are often favored by introverts, so the sample is likely skewed)). Furthermore, as has already been pointed out, there was a rather significant population of the rare INTJ type (of which I consistently test as), as well as INTPs, which aren't quite as rare, but also showed high concentrations at AVEN. Again, as has been stated above, the significance of this correlation is, to my knowledge, unknown and undiscussed.

ily

Postby ily » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:43 pm

My answer to this question is always, "does it matter?" Would knowing what "caused" our asexuality change our lives, help us somehow, or significantly increase our self-understanding? I don't know, and considering we're not even close to determining a cause, it seems like sort of a moot point, as interesting as it may be to throw around ideas. (Typical words of an INTJ... ;)

I think people have noticed that INTJs on AVEN are predominant, but where are you supposed to take it from there? INTJ traits also seem to overlap with the autistic spectrum quite a bit, and there are a lot more people on the autistic spectrum on AVEN than in the general population. I can't say what this means, because there are neurotypical INTJs also, and I would assume, sexual INTJs. I also wonder how accurate the MBTI can really be in its ability to accurately capture the personality of every person.

Jicragg
Established Member

Postby Jicragg » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:41 am

Ily took the words right out of my mouth: it doesn't matter.

Some people do still wonder whether or not homosexuality has a cause and as far as I'm aware scienctifically nobody pays them any attention anymore. Once upon a time when they believed it was a problem yes it was important because they were looking for a cure. There is no cure because there is no problem.

You may as well question the cause of me liking tea. I like tea. The end.

*goes to find a question where an answer would actually matter*

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:14 am

I agree that it doesn't matter, but the geek in me still wants to understand all sorts of things "just because."
(Needless to say, I drove my parents absolutely nuts with the constant "WHY?" questions and I still haven't outgrown the habit of questioning everything.)

I think that asexuality is more likely to be taken seriously as a valid sexual orientation or personality trait rather than some sort of sexual hangup if it can be linked to SOME sort of cause, even if it only affects a small percentage of self-professed asexuals. Granted, there is no reason to think that INTJ or INTP personalities can cause asexuality, because they don't, and neither does Asperger's, but the statistics imply that there is some sort of connection, and I find that interesting.

A great deal is yet to be learned about how the human mind works. I don't think that finding a cause for homosexuality, for example, would automatically lead to people insisting that homosexuals get cured. I think that it would, instead, greatly invalidate the right-wing's belief that those evil gays could change their perverted ways if they only tried harder.
I think the same basic situation would apply to asexuality.

Ideally, I would like to see it proved, scientifically, that all of the various sexual orientations and personality types are perfectly normal variations caused by different versions of ______________ which, in human beings, occur during _______.

Erm ... so yeah. Some more research is still needed.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:15 pm

KAGU143 wrote:...and I still haven't outgrown the habit of questioning everything.

A very good habit to have, in my opinion.

I will say, I rather agree with both the "does it matter" and the "but I still want to know" aspects. Everything I'd have to add on the subject has already been said, so I'll just leave it at that.

Olivier

Postby Olivier » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:12 pm

I'd guess that INTJ and INTP personality are more likely to self-identify as asexual because they're more likely to have sat down and mulled over the fine detail of their sexuality than other personality types, and they're more likely to want to discuss it on an internet forum, besides.

*is borderline INTJ/INTP, sexual, and discussing this on an internet forum* ;)

pretzelboy

Postby pretzelboy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:53 pm

In asking the question of what causes asexuality, there are a few ways to go about this. One (which no one here seems to be supporting) is the "Let's find out what's wrong with this person that causes them to become asexual." In this view sexual (or heterosexual) is simply accepted as "normal" or "natural" (both unscientific, untestable, unmeasurable concepts that much of psychology holds onto dearly) and the question is "How come those people are weird?" If someone tells an asexual that they should go to a therapist to figure out the cause of their asexuality, they're probably not working with a theory that asexuality is caused by strongly valuing friendship, liking puppies, or loving one's parents. (Someone will, of course, note that lots of sexual people also value friendship, like puppies, and love their parents.) Rather, they'll suggest things like fear of intimacy, emotional problems, bad childhoods, sexual abuse, and the like. (And someone may or may not note that all of these are also true of lots of sexual people.)

The other approach to causes of asexuality would put it into a larger model of causes of sexual orientation in general. At present, there aren't any especially good theories. Lots of current research focuses on prenatal hormonal environments.

An interesting comment on the sociology of science is that if asexuality is viewed as a sexual dysfunction, attempts to find causes themselves viewed to be problems. (Actually, they just make unfounded claims about causes and not give a shit about whether or not they have any empirical foundation besides "clinical observation.") If asexuality is viewed primarily as a sexual orientation, then research similar to ongoing studies on causes of sexual orientation development will be perused. If asexuality is viewed primarily as a sexual identity or as a "social construct" or whatever, such lines of research will be viewed as inherently problematic.

disjointed

Postby disjointed » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:28 am

I feel like many of the above that it is for a very mixed bag of reasons

some will say it was they way they are wired

some will say following sexual abuse

some will say low libido or sexual indifference etc etc

I also agree that with the exception of dealing with the demons if they are what you feel makes you feel asexual...then in honesty..who cares why

Vittoria

Postby Vittoria » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:16 am

ily wrote:My answer to this question is always, "does it matter?" Would knowing what "caused" our asexuality change our lives, help us somehow, or significantly increase our self-understanding? I don't know, and considering we're not even close to determining a cause, it seems like sort of a moot point,

This is how I feel, as well. Knowing isn't going to give you the ability to be something else, if you want to be, which always seemed the point of knowing why people are the way they are. If a person is accepted by society they don't ask why. It's only when a person is different that they want to know why, as though finding the 'cause' means they can become the typical person. Just accepting who you are and dealing with the world from that point is much more productive.

ily wrote:I think people have noticed that INTJs on AVEN are predominant, but where are you supposed to take it from there? INTJ traits also seem to overlap with the autistic spectrum quite a bit, and there are a lot more people on the autistic spectrum on AVEN than in the general population. I can't say what this means, because there are neurotypical INTJs also, and I would assume, sexual INTJs. I also wonder how accurate the MBTI can really be in its ability to accurately capture the personality of every person.

I've always figured it was just that INTJs are more likely to be at home, on the computer. Extraverts are out, talking to people. INTJs are more likely to be happy talking to people online. The online community are much more likely to be introverted all together.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:18 pm

Vittoria wrote:I've always figured it was just that INTJs are more likely to be at home, on the computer. Extraverts are out, talking to people. INTJs are more likely to be happy talking to people online. The online community are much more likely to be introverted all together.

I would figure that would easily account for the abnormal number of introverted personality types, however, INTJs still make up a very small minority of introverts.

AFlyingPiglet

Postby AFlyingPiglet » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:18 am

I have no idea.

There again, we could ask this same question of what causes any type of sexuality.