Textbook asexuals

For discussion of general issues pertaining to asexuality.
Mr. Paradox

Textbook asexuals

Postby Mr. Paradox » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:19 pm

Someone mentioned on AVEN that the latest edition of the standard textbook Our Sexuality by Robert Crooks and Karla Baur contains discussion on asexuality. Has anyone had a look at how it's presented? Does anyone have a local library with a copy? It doesn't seem easy to come by in the UK.

Are there other examples of asexuality making it into sex education or sexuality texts? This is, of course, fantastic for us.
"He cannot, however, long remain asexual when he sees the great peasant girls, as ardent as mares in heat, abandoning themselves to the arms of robust youths."
--Havelock Ellis, Studies in the Psychology of Sex

Dame du Lac

Re: Textbook asexuals

Postby Dame du Lac » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:27 pm

You can get it new on Amazon but its £34.99 and there's only one copy left. Or you can get it second-hand for £31+ p&p. If I remember tomorrow I'll have a look around some second-hand bookshops.

ghosts

Postby ghosts » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:49 pm

I looked at Central & Western Mass catalogs - the newest edition that any library has is 1999.

Mr. Paradox wrote:Are there other examples of asexuality making it into sex education or sexuality texts? This is, of course, fantastic for us.

Well, I have just a minor example. I took a class a couple semesters ago - a Women's Studies course called Queer America. I mentioned asexuality to the teacher (this awesome grad student teaching it), and he ended up changing the syllabus to include asexuality at the end of the semester! Unfortunately he didn't have enough time to cover that much of it, but I think the assigned readings were to go look at AVEN and to read one of the articles (newspaper or something) he included. :P

pretzelboy

Postby pretzelboy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:49 pm

The library here doesn't have any recent copies. I know that the 2001 edition didn't have anything about it (I know because I was really confused by my sexuality at the time and that's the book I looked through to see if I could find anything that helped, and I didn't, though I did learn some other things, of course.) Amazon says the the newest one came out in 2007. Its not yet on Google books--they only have through the 2001 edition. I have found asexuality in a few human sexuality textbooks.

A book called "Exploring the Dimensions of Human Sexuality" by By Jerrold S. Greenberg, Clint E. Bruess (2006) has a short bit and a reference to AVEN.

Interesting enough, there is also a very brief mention in "Sexual choices : an introduction to human sexuality" by Gilbert D. Nass, Roger W. Libby, Mary Pat Fisher. (1981).