ace rings and the cold

For discussion of general issues pertaining to asexuality.
Michael Smoker
Established Member

ace rings and the cold

Postby Michael Smoker » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:12 pm

Sorry if this sounds like a frivolous thread, but I almost never wear jewellery, so it isn't something I have experience with.

My ace ring is metal, and I wore it outdoors today in sub-freezing temperatures. I was bothered by the coldness of the ring. What do people usually do about that?

Michael

Dargon
Mega Member

Re: ace rings and the cold

Postby Dargon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:57 pm

Can't say I can relate to that. I wore my ring for several years until it ended up at the bottom of the San Marcos river last summer and has not been replaced. When I did wear it, well, as a native Texan, sub-freezing is not a common occurrence.

I suppose the most I can suggest is either keep it gloved or remove it when it is that cold.

Joe of Loath

Postby Joe of Loath » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:03 am

Never noticed it, and it's only recently gone above minus 10c here.

If your hands are cold, wear gloves I guess?

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:19 am

I never really got serious about wearing an ace ring. (You mean the black one, right?)
I bought one several years ago and promptly broke it, so I got another one and I keep it on a ring stand. Kæth and I considered getting black titanium wedding bands, but all of the options were ugly so we finally went with tungsten carbide instead. It is blacker than chrome but still very silvery and shiny.
My wedding band is fairly heavy for a ring, but I haven't noticed any problems with the cold weather. It might be because my hands are almost always cold and I keep them in my pockets as much as possible - sometimes even indoors. Gloves don't help me much at all since they won't keep me warm when I'm already cold. All they do is make my hands too bulky to fit into my pockets.

*goes to huddle in front of the space heater*
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Michael Smoker
Established Member

Postby Michael Smoker » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:38 am

Hmm. My ace ring is one of them fangly hash leaf thumb rings. I bought it as a temporary ace ring because it was dirt cheap, $9.99 and free shipping, and it was available in a size 15, which is the ring size I need for my middle finger. My plan was to get a better ring at some point down the road. Perhaps a tungsten carbide ring won't get quite so cold quite so easily. I hesitate to put gloves over top of my ace ring because it tends to catch on the inside of them and either make the glove difficult to remove or get lost in the fingerhole and have to be dug out. As for wearing it over top of the glove, it won't fit, and I take my gloves off and put them back on so often on most outings that I would be sure to drop it and lose it. But that's okay, we're going to have only five more months of winter in Toronto, so it should be comfortable to wear toward the end of May.

Michael