Survey finds 3rd of young Japanese men not interested in sex

For discussion of general issues pertaining to asexuality.
paranoidgynandroid

Survey finds 3rd of young Japanese men not interested in sex

Postby paranoidgynandroid » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:35 am

According to this article (from the Daily Telegraph), 35.1% of Japanese men aged 16 to 19 (from a sample of 671) said they are not interested in or averse to sex. Now days asexuality is generally seen as not experiencing sexual attraction and that isn't what this survey was asking, but it seems these guys could qualify as grey-a or demisexual (depending on how you define them and obviously how they'd self-identify). I'd be interested to hear what they'd answer if asked about experiencing sexual attraction.

This raises an interesting question about whether the occurrence of asexuality in the population varies in different countries/cultures.

Full article follows:

Third of young Japanese men not interested in sex

More than a third of Japanese males aged between 16 and 19 have no interest in or are actively averse to sex, according to a government survey.

Japan's birth rate stands at 1.21 per family, far below the rate of 2.08 babies that is required for a stable population.

As of March 2009, Japan's total population stood at just over 127 million, but that figure is projected to decline to 95 million by 2050. And if more drastic measures fail to encourage people to have sex - and hence children - then there will be a mere 47.7 million Japanese at the turn of the next century.
According to the survey of 671 men and 869 women, issued by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, 35.1 per cent of men aged 16 to 19 said they are not interested in or averse to sex, more than double the 17.5 per cent of men in the previous study in 2008.

"Obviously, the most important reason for Japan's declining birth rate is that people are not having sex," Dr. Kunio Kitamura, head of the Japan Family Planning Association, told The Daily Telegraph.

"Combined with the rising number of elderly people, this population imbalance is a major problem," he said.
Equally worrying, he said, is the increase in the number of married couples who are officially recognised as "sexless," meaning they have not had sex for more than one month.

The figure has risen to 40.8 percent of all married couples, up from 36.5 percent two years ago and 31.9 percent in 2004.

The government has attempted a series of campaigns to encourage couples to have more children - from making companies insist that their staff leave work at 6pm to increasing child allowances - but none of that is gong to have an impact if people are not going to have sex, Kitamura said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... n-sex.html

pretzelboy

Re: Survey finds 3rd of young Japanese men not interested in sex

Postby pretzelboy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:40 pm

One quote really stands out to me: "Obviously, the most important reason for Japan's declining birth rate is that people are not having sex," Dr. Kunio Kitamura, head of the Japan Family Planning Association, told The Daily Telegraph."

This is pretty clearly wrong. People can have lots of sex and still not have lots of babies. I'm pretty sure that Japan has plenty of means of birth control. A major factor in the declining birthrate is that raising children is incredibly expensive, especially when parents are exptected to pay lots of money to have them go to after school educational things. It strikes me as peculiar that this explanation isn't given, and instead a "not interested in sex" explanation is given instead. Something smells fishy.

I'm going to guess that they wanted to raise public "awareness" of how serious this problem is, and made sure to operationalize things in such a way as to get as large a number as possible to do this. Why I am not sure.

Michael Smoker
Established Member

Postby Michael Smoker » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:15 pm

Yes, the birthrate angle does sound like a red herring. So, too, in a way, is the fact that many teenage boys are not interested in sex. It could be a nation of late bloomers, or it could be that the hellish pressure to get a grade of 100% in every school subject, because 99% is considered a major failure, is emasculating those boys. But the telling statistic for me is that more than 40% of married couples are not having sex even once per month. It means something, and I'm just not sure what.

I would love to see statistics on what proporition of American married couples don't have sex once per month. It would make for an interesting comparison.

Michael

Siggy

Postby Siggy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:43 pm

This story is closely related to a subculture in Japan known as "herbivorous men". They're like metrosexual men who prefer simplistic single lives. I suspect this article hides a huge swirling vortex of issues, and that most of us non-Japanese are poorly equipped to understand it.

Ditto to pretzelboy. I am pretty sure that sex has nothing to do with it. The much more important fact about herbivorous men is that they prefer to be single.

Michael Smoker
Established Member

Postby Michael Smoker » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:58 am

disjointed, I see it as far more selfish to have children than not to have any. The decision to have a child is not made for the child's sake because the child doesn't exist yet. It is also not made with the child's well-being in mind, for the same reason. Most people have children for various self-centered reasons, ranging from "it's socially expected" to "my kiddie clock is ticking." And in many cases, the decision never to have children (such as the decision I made a long time ago) is made out of consideration for the unconceived and unborn.

Michael

apsaf

Postby apsaf » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:35 am

Michael Smoker wrote:disjointed, I see it as far more selfish to have children than not to have any. The decision to have a child is not made for the child's sake because the child doesn't exist yet. It is also not made with the child's well-being in mind, for the same reason. Most people have children for various self-centered reasons, ranging from "it's socially expected" to "my kiddie clock is ticking." And in many cases, the decision never to have children (such as the decision I made a long time ago) is made out of consideration for the unconceived and unborn.

Michael

WOW! This looks so much like something I'd written! In my community, I get so frustrated with people who consider me immature and/or selfish because I don't want to get married and have children. As a woman in an Arab society, I'm very proud of my accomplishments! I don't think that having a career and settling down in my own home, bought (though not fully yet, lol) with my own hard-earned money and with all the responsibility that this entails, is irresponsible. I know many women who only got married so that they'd be taken care of financially and many men who only got married to have someone to cook and clean for them. How am I irresponsible if I'm doing everything all by myself?

As for children, I love children, I babysat many children in my teenage years and I love my nephew now. But I'd be selfish if I brought another soul to this overpopulated and over-polluted planet while millions are orphaned and/or starving. If anything, I wish our laws would change during my lifetime, so that I would be able to adopt an unwanted child. I think it's also selfish to bring a child to the world just out of social pressure or because your biological clock is ticking while you don't have the means to raise a child decently (be it money or time). If I don't have enough time to dedicate to a human being, I'd rather not have him/her in the first place. How is that selfish?

Sorry for the long off-topic rant, I just really need to vent being the only asexual I know here and when I read something I totally believe in, I get too excited, hehe.

fridayoak

Postby fridayoak » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:05 am

I don't think it's just males like that there from what I've heard. My friend just got back from a year living in Japan and he was let's say frustrated by the fact that in his words "a lot of the Japanese girls there just didn't do shagging".