sex drive vs. no sex drive

For discussion of general issues pertaining to asexuality.

are you an asexual with a sex drive but no sexual attraction?

Yes
64%
I don't have a sex drive
29%
I experience sexual attraction
No votes
I don't see myself as asexual
7%

Total votes: 14

michaels

sex drive vs. no sex drive

Postby michaels » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:40 am

I would love to see statistics on what proportion of aces have a sex drive (and just don't experience sexual attraction). If anyone has statistics kindly post.

In the meantime, if you care to share, do YOU have a sex drive? I'll vote first and say I have something of one, although it's inconsistent and undirected.

Dargon
Mega Member

Re: sex drive vs. no sex drive

Postby Dargon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:56 pm

I voted the last option; I assume it is there so non-asexual folks such as myself don't go skewing your results.

That being said, for what it is worth, for years before I ever felt any sexual feelings towards anybody, I did still experience a rather undirected sex drive.

michaels

Postby michaels » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:33 pm

Dargon, I included that last option mostly for you. :) I'm not aware of any other sexuals who frequent Apositive.

Siggy

Postby Siggy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:10 pm

http://www.kinseyinstitute.org/publications/PDF/PrauseGrahamPDF.pdf
See table 2. It's on a 7 point scale from 1 (never masturbated) to 7 (4 times/week or more).
Frequency of masturbation for asexuals: 3.7 +/- 2
For non-asexuals: 4.5 +/- 1.9

Mind you, this is just a proxy for sex drive, which may not mean quite the same thing as frequency of masturbation. But I hope it gives you an idea.

michaels

Postby michaels » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:46 am

Siggy, thank you very much. That's useful information.

The gap between sexuals and asexuals in terms of frequency of masturbation isn't as pronounced as one might think. Lost of asexuals seem to have undirected sex drives.

Lich

Postby Lich » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:36 am

This is difficult for me to say. My organs are in working order. Should I be physically prompted, I'll get aroused, it's unavoidable for me. I don't seek it, nor do I need it in my life though. I'm not any less of a person because I don't have the urge to f*ck or be fucked, but alas. Physical stimulation is just as it implies, obnoxiously stimulating.

mizx

Postby mizx » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:56 am

Lich wrote:This is difficult for me to say. My organs are in working order. Should I be physically prompted, I'll get aroused, it's unavoidable for me. I don't seek it, nor do I need it in my life though. I'm not any less of a person because I don't have the urge to f*ck or be fucked, but alas. Physical stimulation is just as it implies, obnoxiously stimulating.

Kudos for being able to put into proper words what I've been thinking for the past half a decade :clap: