anecdote on an encounter

For discussion of general issues pertaining to asexuality.
michaels

anecdote on an encounter

Postby michaels » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:29 am

I met someone online who lives about two hours east of me, and in the same country as me yet! Such meetings are like gold because they can lead to FTF friendships if properly managed. We had enough in common that we shared contact details on Skype.

This guy, who's 39, suggested that we go out together and "meet some girls." I told him that I'm asexual. He said "What's that?" I explained it to him in a nutshell. He admitted that he had trouble conceiving of someone who experiences no sexual attraction at all, but once he wrapped his mind around it, he accepted that such people exist and didn't make a big deal of it. Then he told me that he's _hyper_sexual. We chatted for a while about our contrasting perspectives and came to the conclusion that we're both happy with the way we're built and can coexist in peace. He made the suggestion that both his hypersexuality and my asexuality arise out of life experiences rather than being something we were born with, but he didn't elaborate. I didn't get the sense from him that he thought either of us should change.

I guess I can score this one as a win.

Dargon
Mega Member

Re: anecdote on an encounter

Postby Dargon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:25 pm

Seems to me that if you are on one end of the spectrum, it is hard to imagine living life on the other, none the less it isn't too difficult to imagine that people on the other end do live happily with who they are. Glad to hear you found someone like that.

AtomⓇ

Postby AtomⓇ » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:42 pm

That's wonderful. Sounds like you both come from a very respectful space. I have friends who've done a great job of made a mixed marriage work. Gives me a lot of hope!

catedamien

Postby catedamien » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:09 pm

Great story.so inspiring!