The thing about cats

For discussion of general issues pertaining to asexuality.
Litterborn

The thing about cats

Postby Litterborn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:21 pm

As my username (hopefully) implies, I feel a kinship with cats. While the internet at large loves cats, I couldn't help but notice that the AVEN community sometimes goes as far as considering cats to be part of the ace stereotype - along with Doctor Who, and, to a greater extent, cake.

Like a lot of stereotypes, this one probably has a kernel of truth. I've been wondering, then, what it is about cats that would relate to asexuality.

I think part of it for me is that there's no sexual propaganda relating to cats. There's no default assumption that says that liking cats is an expression of sexuality. And the appeal of that is that I can do things with cats that I would find extremely hard to do with a human due to the sexual connotations that would come in play. Stroking. Giving a cat pleasure by touching his body in the right ways. Rejoicing at how pleased they are and how much they like it.

KAGU143
Administrator

Re: The thing about cats

Postby KAGU143 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:37 am

Hi Litterborn, and welcome to Apositive!
I didn't see an actual introduction post from you, but that's perfectly okay. I hope you will enjoy it here!

.. I guess that my interpretation of cats is different since I spent several years breeding, raising and showing the Cornish Rex breed.
I learned that cats are extremely sexual creatures and I can't help seeing them in that light so I see no connection between cats and asexuality at all.
(Look up the term "tomcatting"!)

All that being said, though, I am only one person, and my opinion isn't important at all.
I tend to think of birds as being somewhat asexual since the vast majority of them don't have visible genitalia. With many species it isn't even possible to tell the males from the females without surgical examination or DNA analysis. The sex act among birds is usually very brief and business-like and they don't seem to make much fuss about it. They still manage to make plenty of new birds though, so the appearance of asexuality is something that I am projecting onto them rather than something that is a real part of them.

An interesting topic! I don't think I've ever considered it before, at least not quite in this way.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

ASIC

Postby ASIC » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:01 pm

Indeed - I'd say that cats are customarily regarded by society as extremely sexual, since they are very noisy and obvious about their mating habits and highly promiscuous (to the extent, apparently, that the kittens of the same litter can have been sired by different males out of the many with which the mother has mated during the window after ovulation - in fact, ovulation in cats is triggered by copulation, which therefore has to continue for some time before it can result in fertilisation).

I wonder if there is a case to be made for regarding cats as essentially aromantic, though? ;-)

But then of course 'romance' is largely a human concept/construct...

Litterborn

Postby Litterborn » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:38 pm

KAGU143 wrote:Hi Litterborn, and welcome to Apositive!
I didn't see an actual introduction post from you, but that's perfectly okay. I hope you will enjoy it here!

Sorry about that, I tend to not post intros or share too much where it's not mandatory. I would have liked to sneak in unnoticed, so that I could pretend to myself that I'm a cloud of words and ideas rather than a real person, but in hindsight, there was no way I could pull that off in a small place like this. :oops: I still like it that way, especially because of how deep the discussions can be, from what I've seen so far. I suppose the small size of the community plays a big role in that?

Anyway, here's an intro paragraph: I'm a 26-year-old male, heteroromantic (well, demiromantic at most, but I like to keep labels to a minimum) and probably closer to "asexual" than to any other point in the spectrum. I found AVEN roughly 3 years ago and could never fit in. I've been wanting to join Apositive for a while, but hadn't found the right time. Liking it so far. See, I didn't have much to say. ;)

KAGU143 wrote:.. I guess that my interpretation of cats is different since I spent several years breeding, raising and showing the Cornish Rex breed.

Nice. Breeds like the Cornish Rex or the Sphinx are definitely not what comes to mind when I think of cats, but I'm pretty sure I could appreciate them if I ever had one.

KAGU143 wrote:I learned that cats are extremely sexual creatures and I can't help seeing them in that light so I see no connection between cats and asexuality at all.
(Look up the term "tomcatting"!)

I'm almost afraid to... but I probably will (EDIT: Oh. Okayyy.). It's clear that we've related to cats in different ways. For example, most of my cats have been neutered/spayed, so they never cease to be the cuddly asexual creatures that I like them to be. :mrgreen:

KAGU143 wrote:They still manage to make plenty of new birds though, so the appearance of asexuality is something that I am projecting onto them rather than something that is a real part of them.

Like people project asexuality onto Sherlock Holmes? ;)

ASIC wrote:I wonder if there is a case to be made for regarding cats as essentially aromantic, though? ;-)

But then of course 'romance' is largely a human concept/construct...

Good observation.

ASIC

Postby ASIC » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:19 pm

Litterborn wrote:
KAGU143 wrote:They still manage to make plenty of new birds though, so the appearance of asexuality is something that I am projecting onto them rather than something that is a real part of them.

Like people project asexuality onto Sherlock Holmes? ;)

Somehow I'm now picturing Sherlock Holmes perching on a branch with a row of miniature versions peeping for attention :D

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:45 am

I've never much noticed a connection between cats and asexuality... though I am now thinking that perhaps it's because of the internet's fondness for cats? Cats are very well known as something the internet adores, and asexuality seems to be far more present (both by 'how many people know such a thing exists' and by 'where are the communities') online than in real life. Perhaps the idea isn't 'cats are asexual' so much as 'asexuals are online, therefore, they like cats.'

Also, hello Litterborn!

Ragdollphysics

Postby Ragdollphysics » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:14 am

i'm new but i seem to fit into the stereotype
i like cats (although i wouldn't own one again)
i was entranced by doctor who as a kid
i liked his female assistants but only if they were smart in some way
i think sheldon cooper may be identifying as some kind of asexual of some kind :)

i love the big bang theory
i love Amy <3