Ranty Post - skip if you like

For discussion of general issues pertaining to asexuality.
jmb
Established Member

Ranty Post - skip if you like

Postby jmb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Can someone please explain to me when it became "wrong" to have a non-sexual orientation and zero interest in having sex?

I'm sick and tired of saying "I'm not interested in it" and having 100 people jump down my throat "But, Asexuals can have sex!"

Of course they can so can ducks and frogs and cats and many other species. It still doesn't change the fact that I find it boring and I don't have an interest in it. (Procreation aside-and since that hasn't happened yet, I doubt it will.)

The message I'm getting these days is that I'm somehow LESS of an "Asexual" because I don't have an interest in sex outside of procreation.

<end rant>
"He won't be your assistant" - Greg Lestrade
"But I need an audience" - What Sherlock Holmes meant to say.

Disjointed

Re: Ranty Post - skip if you like

Postby Disjointed » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:03 am

I wouldn't agree all asexuals can have sex..many identify wrongly instead of identifying as a libidoist but I get your drift jmb...it's reverse majority

jmb
Established Member

Postby jmb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:29 am

Well, I wouldn't say all sexuals can have sex either. Going by AVEN's definition of Asexual (Which they say they use to parallel other sexual orientations), one could have sexual attraction to another, but no desire to have sex - with nothing medically wrong with them.

By the by - for anyone who might be wondering, my 'chemistry' works just fine and I am not against others having sex.

But this... forced promotion/reverse majority gets old and tiresome. I can't even make a comment about my own experiences any more without people jumping all over me. What's the point of discussion if that's going to happen? That basically shuts down discussion.

Disjointed

Postby Disjointed » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:12 pm

Aven is becoming more restrictive by the day sadly. I personally welcome the point of view you have as a right to have that view. The only time i have been negative towards such a view is when it has been part of a "them ffn sexuals..insert anymore words" on those occasions I have seen asexual elitism and called out those who have taken that direction.

I want to be clear jmb that I do not hold your view in that category but yours is a personal clarification that should not be found offensive but part of a differing opinion entitlement.

jmb
Established Member

Postby jmb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:47 pm

I know you don't agree. (We've danced around this topic on other threads.) I don't expect people to agree, but just because a person's experience and/or opinion is different from others, doesn't mean that they should be told "Oh well, you're not XXX, then." (Yes, they went THERE.) Dear God, life would be grey and boring if everyone agreed and had the same experiences. If disagreement meant I wasn't a part of "a group", I wouldn't be white, female, single, American, etc. etc. Disagreement doesn't mean you loose membership in those classes.

Also, I've never said I'm against anyone else having sex. (I AM against being "forced" to witness sex. Swear to God, I was in an elevator with a couple and they started going at it right in front of me IN THE ELEVATOR! Yeah, sorry, I'm VEHEMENTLY against that! I consider that exceptionally rude and no one should be forced to witness others having sex - no matter their orientation.)

Random: This conversation wasn't on AVEN or Tumblr - it was in person, not that it matters - well, actually it does, because I thought it wouldn't be that bad in person. My bad for thinking people would be less rude in person than they are through online anonymity. Clearly, my judgement was in error. And maybe that's why I'm so angry - I was blind-sided by the in-person rudeness of people - AFTER they asked people to share their experiences/opinions, they proceed to attack the mentioned experiences/opinions.

Where's that closet? I'd like to go back in it now, thanks.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Closet?
Should I add a closet? Heck ... I'm still trying to figure out how to install a wet bar. :scratch:
:drink:
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

jmb
Established Member

Postby jmb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:07 pm

If I drank that would be a most welcome addition :D

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:36 am

I never got in the closet for two reasons...I was so full of myself that I had nothing to hide and....the only times I had a closet/wardrobe..the partner had it so full of clothes and shoes that nothing else would have fitted in...oo and me being a fat git as well

FalconEagle
Established Member

Postby FalconEagle » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:35 pm

... stepping in from the other side! They've got a point, even if they're a little pretentious and forceful with it. Take a look at any of the recent articles that focus on asexuality and you'll notice that the asexual in those interviews will emphasize that they're "not interested in sex". I think it may be something to do with that? It's something that is often emphasized, especially in the media (usually the author will note the definition of asexuality though). That feeling of alienation? I guess it works both ways, basically no one wins

Memes and in-jokes aren't really very representative, but they're the same... same emphasis

Ciri
Mega Member

Postby Ciri » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:49 pm

This is interesting because I am often told that I can't be asexual because I have an interest in sex. There has been a lot of elitism going on lately from sex repulsed asexuals calling themselves "pure asexuals".
You're all dead and I'm your eternal punishment.