Why is male genital mutilation ok but womens not?

For discussion of issues pertaining to sexuality. Warning: Topics within this forum may contain frank discussion of a sexual nature.
PiF
Apositive Star

Why is male genital mutilation ok but womens not?

Postby PiF » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:21 am

At the start I want to state I think both are wrong

the mutilation of a childs genitals unless for medically approved reasons...not voodoo hoodoo religious or antique beliefs...is pure out and out child abuse

but it never ceases to amaze me how many backward people there are that think cisrcumcision is acceptable

the old myths of it helps to stop infection is a lie, you are more likely to get an infection through circumcision than never having been circumcised...the best way to stop infection on a penis..it's called regular washing..so why are so many people so stupid and comfortable with this double standard of it being okay to mutilate males?

Thankfully more and more medical authorities are seeing it for what it is and are moving towards banning it

it angers me that males have less rights when it comes to being abused

flergalwit
Mega Member

Re: Why is male genital mutilation ok but womens not?

Postby flergalwit » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:36 am

I think that female circumcision IS worse than male circumcision, but that doesn't make male circumcision OK. I hope both will be outlawed before too long. Unfortunately, outlawing male circumcision is simply not politically viable at the moment, but attitudes can change over time.

At SF Pride 2013 I had a long conversation with one of the marching groups, the Intactivists (http://www.circumstitions.com/) - who were marching as a Pride group against male circumcision and spreading awareness of the issues surrounding it. I've never come across anything remotely similarly in the UK, but then widespread male circumcision doesn't happen here the way it does in North America; it's mostly only religious or cultural minorities who practice it here. In fact the Intactivist group said, as soon as they heard my accent, that they were pretty sure I was gonna agree with them. One thing I like in their approach was getting allies on board from different groups: Jews against circumcision, Muslims against circumcision, etc etc etc.

Isaac
Established Member

Postby Isaac » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:51 am

I think that male and female circumcision are equally wrong provided they refer to the foreskin and hood. The problem with female genital mutilation usually removes the entire external clitoris, whose male equivalent would be removing the foreskin and the gland, and this is much worse than circumcision.

Ciri
Mega Member

Postby Ciri » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:48 pm

I'm making an assumption here because I'm not very knowledgable on male anatomy.

In the case of female circumcision, there are more likely to be complications. It can make stimulation in that area really painful. If you just get rid of the 'hood' your basically exposing a load of nerve endings. It can also lead to infection. Scar tissue can irritate and become enflamed years afterwards. In Eastern societies, it can be used as punishment.

There is less social stigma tied to male circumcision. Although this can also lead to complications including accidental castration. Men and some women prefer the look of a circumcised penis, for some reason men think it makes it bigger.

Neither are right but I believe in both religious and cultural practises, men and women should be able to choose whether they are circumcised. When they are educated on the implications and old enough to make such a decision. Unfortunately in Eastern countries, in girls this often occurs before marriage which can happen as early as 8 years old. So their concept of age and acceptability can be slightly warped.

Also feminists.
Blame Tumblr. Tumblr feminists also sympathise with the woman who recently got a 1 year sentence for repeated abuse and rape of an 8 year old boy. Because the child was male.
You're all dead and I'm your eternal punishment.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:17 am

There is and has always been a double standard when women have sexually abused males in comparrisson to males sexually abusing women.

It seems odd that the very system that women claim discriminates against them..often discriminates in their favour

In regards to circumcision I just hope one day there is a world wide ban on it