Am I asexual/aromantic/demi?

For discussion of issues pertaining to sexuality. Warning: Topics within this forum may contain frank discussion of a sexual nature.
EveyHeart
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: 23 Sep 2015, 11:43

Am I asexual/aromantic/demi?

Postby EveyHeart » 23 Sep 2015, 11:59

I was going to write a swift «am I asexual/aromantic?» entry, but I’m apparently starved for a conversation partner, seeing how this monstrosity was born. (That’s what you get from working 9 hours alone every day with only like 1-6 customers every hour and no one to actually talk to!!!!) Anyway, I understand how the length might make this unreadable, so let me apologize in advance. I kinda just needed to write down what I was thinking and feeling, and there isn’t someone I can talk about this with, so on the internet it goes. If anyone takes the time to read this and maybe even give me some sort of response, I would be forever grateful! (And please forgive any typos or grammatical errors, English isn’t my first language!)

Sooo. Where to begin. I am a 20 year old girl, and I am uncertain in my sexuality. Or, I’m getting kinda certain, but hearing someone else’s opinion might be helpful when you’re stuck discussing it over and over with yourself.

I have never really concerned myself too much with sexuality, as I firmly believe that love is love no matter what. I also didn’t worry to much about myself, thinking that I’d eventually figure it all out, probably when Prince Charming swept me off my feet, catching me just as I fainted from how much «luuuuv» I’d be feeling. (That’s kinda how reality seems when you grow up as a little nerd spending most of your childhood devouring books and watching fictional couples on TV, right?) I got my first «boyfriend» at age 8, but that was truly completely platonic. Still I felt the need to «break up» just in case when I actually got a real boyfriend (this guy asked me to be his girlfriend, and that makes it a completely legit relationship when your 10.), and that guy I «dated» for about three years. I say «dated», as we didn’t really hang out much, (due to some distance, different schools, and you know, me not actually being all that interested.), and when we did we usually just played my video games or did stuff I’d have done with or without him there. He endured, because «love», right? Poor guy. As our relationship reached the three year mark, with us having met up perhaps, ten times a year? (And a lot of that was at the «youth club» we both attended), we started fooling around. And by that I mostly mean kissing and making out, which was kinda nice (albeit a bit gross, and not something I would usually instigate), but I’d rather keep watching the movie that was on in the background. Being in a relationship (with someone I didn’t feel very relationship-y about) was very tiresome, and so I broke it off at age 13. I figured I was still just a kid, and that this guy wasn’t The One. At all. The guy didn’t quite see it the same way, and he was devastated to learn that we wouldn’t spend the rest of our lives together. (Which, just saying, can’t be normal at age 13 no matter what!!!!)

When I met this guy and started hanging out (through the youth center we both went to somewhat weekly), I felt flattered and excited at his attention, but this quickly faded out and turned into annoyance. I would usually decline spending time together, and to this day I can’t understand how he could take our break-up that hard. However, at the beginning of High School, I met a new guy. Let’s call him Jack. After a couple of months of everyone in class getting to know each other better, we became fast friends. We would talk for hours, we shared a lot of interests, and he was easily my new best friend. (Still is, actually.) His attention made me feel the same way as I did with Guy1, and I decided this was most definitely a crush. We started dating, (or rather, we became girlfriend and boyfriend, and hung out in class like we’d used too.) This lasted roughly two months, and I quickly became stressed, annoyed and uncomfortable being around Jack alone. When I broke up, he was a bit upset, but in the end I think he saw that it was inevitable. During the period we were together we kissed goodbye once, a peck on the lips like your relative might give you. I told people I broke up because I realized I felt like Jack was my brother, and that I really liked him but not «like that». After a while, when we were speaking again, Jack actually mentioned that he found me a bit weird while we were dating, seeing as I didn’t appear interested in anything sexual. Or intimate, at all. «I was thinking you might be, like, asexual, or something», he said, and I said «of course not», because I’m not. How could I be, when I’ve always felt like I have a high sex-drive and have masturbated frequently for at least ten years?

I decided that because my life was changing a lot, and I was going to move once every year in the next few years, it wasn’t the right time for a relationship. (Oh denial, you are my friend.) Also, I didn’t really want one beyond the promise of someone who was «mine» and knew me better than anyone, and would stroke my hair and sometimes cuddle and maybe live with me and… Basically a really touchy-feely best friend, in other words. I have had a lot of friends, and some of them even quite close too me, but our personal space is kinda huge, and we don’t usually touch beyond a hug hello or goodbye.

The reason why I’m reconsidering my life and choices right now, is because I’ve moved away from home and am living in a much bigger city. I’ve met a lot of new people, and two guys have now asked me out. In the span of one week. And as I panicked, and chanted to myself «no no no, I do not want to go out with you, no thanks, not gonna happen NOPE» I called my friend to complain, and her comment kinda stuck with me. I told her how TWO guys were asking me out, and she said, «you know, this is kinda the opposite of a problem!»

Which is true, seeing as «everybody» is thinking about sex every few seconds, and «hitting that» and thinking someone's «hot» or, excuse my language, «fuckable", while I’m just as into sex as everybody else… I just don’t really want to have it. With another person. Like, I’m just fine doing stuff to myself? Feels good, get’s it done the right way, and doesn’t have to include someone else and make it all emotionally messy. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that while I truly enjoy porn, erotica, smut, etc., I never actually envision another person while masturbating. I usually just think about the same stuff as usual, like what I should make for dinner, or what will happen in that tv show tomorrow night. And while I am more than capable of finding someone aesthetically pleasing, I never look at someone and think «I’d like to sleep with him/her, cause daym s/he’s sexy». And if I do, it feels completely hypothetical, and I don’t think I’d have gone through with it if the person actually offered? I sometimes feel really excited about new acquaintances, and I’d call it a crush, but it isn’t really romantic. It’s more the potential of a new and maybe someday close friend, I think. And as it dawned on me that being completely panicked and downright upset and angry because someone asks you out isn’t «normal». My internal rant went somewhat like this, «why does he have to upset the status quo? WHY? We’re friends, and YES I want to watch a movie, and have dinner, and cuddle on the couch, and do stuff and hang out and talk every day, but I don’t want your body parts inside me! And that’s apparently what you want, because why else would you ask me out on a date when we’re just becoming friends?! NOT FAIR, now I might have to stop hanging out with you if you only want me for the potential of a relationship, what a mess!» I’ve censored out the bad words, because I am a classy lady. Sometimes. Of course I didn’t write anything like this in response, it went more like «sure, that would nice :)», all the while thinking that after a date or two the whole thing would just die out when he realized that there was nothing there, or I (forcibly) pointed it out, like I’d already done twice before.

I had to tell one of the guys asking me out that I’m not looking for a relationship right now, (cause he was moving waaaaay fast, and asking me out every. single. day.), but I’m more than open for a friendship. (Cliche much? However, in reality I haven’t lived here long, and I have about three friends (who doesn’t know each other) that I see once a month, so new friends; very welcome indeed.) He answered that he understood that I felt we were moving to fast, and that he’d respect that even though he couldn’t help any «accidental feelings occurring over time» or whatever. Which is fine, seeing as I don’t think I’m gonna be his new lover no matter how many sparkly, magical rainbow fairies spray us in love dust. However it does make me feel «disconnected» or "on the outside", like there’s something most everybody else is experiencing and I’m just «wrong». I’ll be sitting at a bar watching a friend make out with someone she literally met twenty minutes ago, and I’ll think «this is completely weird. What the? Why would you do that with a stranger? ….why do it at all». I’m not a prude or a grandma, but I just don’t get the appeal.

But seeing as I’ve never had sex, I feel like I should at least try if the right person came along? I’m kind of feeling like my obvious conclusion to everything would be that I’m actually asexual(??) or aromantic(???), but how can I know? When I’ve tried to read up on this, it states that an ace/arom doesn’t feel sexual attraction, but I can’t know if I've felt sexual attraction if I actually can’t feel it?! Right? I’ve always been awfully interested in sex, but not in the «experimenting as a twelve year old» or playing doctor, but more like a scientist finding out how things work, how it all fits together, and what other people do. (And also how it seems to have everyone else in a frenzy, doing their alcohol-soaked mating dances, or sticking their tongues down each others throat in a CLASSROOM. (Seriously though, you’re fourteen years old, please don’t have foreplay on a desk during recess, oh God, please. <- traumatic real life experiences.)

Sometimes I do feel horny and think about truly «doing it» with another person, but thinking really hard about really doing it with this person may actually result in me no longer being in the mood. The only time I’ve felt like taking it further was under the influence of (not much) alcohol, making out with my best (female) friend for (then) give or take 12 years. She’s the only person I can imagine actually spending my life with, and it doesn’t make it seem less possible in my head seeing as she’s actually a lesbian.

But if the only person I might want to be «more» with has known me for 15 years, and been my closest friend for half of those, does that mean I’m probably demisexual? And I’m scared that the only reason I actually want a romantic relationship with anyone is for intimacy and having someone to be with, (and kids, dogs, suburban life, white picket fence, like «normal people» have), which isn’t really enough for most of the guys asking me out - expecting a «real» girlfriend happy to have sex and give blowjobs (just no) and making out and being all lovey-dovey with pet names and…. Sigh. I think I could put up with all that if it got me cuddles, intimacy and a best friend in return, but in the end that wouldn’t be fair to my partner. «Enduring» sexual activities isn’t the best foundation for a lasting relationship, or so I’ve heard. Haha.

(And no, I am absolutely not saying that being asexual is «abnormal». I honestly would be perfectly fine living without sex, I think. As long as I had a partner that loved me and «got me», and I could still get off on my own. However, even though my relatives support my claims that having kids now (at 20) is insane, they do inquire after potential boyfriends from time to time. (That’s all people my age care about, having 15 boyfriends a year, isn’t it?) Telling them that I actually have lots of suitors isn’t really something I’ll do, because that only makes everything worse. On the other hand, right now they’re all sympathetic and a bit sad for me, because I can’t get a boyfriend (and I’ll probably die alone surrounded by my 30 cats. No, but seriously, they don’t even think that, it isn’t a possibility because I’m gonna reach the top and become prime minister or something, and of course I’ll get married and have lot’s of crazy sex and make babies. And I do (really) want kids, I just don’t really want to do the nasty. Or necessarily have a father in the picture. This is a mess.)

Anyway, I’m pretty much done with vol. 1 of my autobiography, but I’ll have to say, writing all this was pretty therapeutic.

Finally I would like to know if anyone has any insights on how I should go on about «coming out» if the need should arise. I've pretty much been living on Tumblr these past couple of months, and even though I only follow fandom blogs the whole LGBT, Kinsley scale, CIS, feminism, racism, etc, etc, etc.-side of Tumblr have reached me pretty well. However, even as I’ve suddenly discovered the existence of asexuality and the likes, a lot of the people I surround myself with would probably think I’d experienced some sort of sexual abuse, that I just have a low sex drive due to mental problems, that I didn’t get enough love and intimacy from my parents as a child, that their divorce «broke» me, or so on. What are some good answers to what asexuality is? How do you usually say no to potential suitors? And not just strangers, but friends who’d like to take it a step further? Keep in mind that I might not be shy, but I’m not forward, direct, blunt or bold at all either! I’m much more likely to fumble out a polite and vague answer than say what I think and feel, which is something I’m working on. But it ain’t easy.

And finally finally, you know… Am I asexual or aromantic? Demi? Something new and exciting I don’t even know exist yet? :)

PiF
Apositive Star
Posts: 2265
Joined: 14 Nov 2011, 22:47

Re: Am I asexual/aromantic/demi?

Postby PiF » 23 Sep 2015, 20:50

Firstly welcome and wow what a wall of text

I'm sure others will be along soon

with regards to the old age question..am I asexual? ..asking people on the internet is a bit like like asking people to stick a finger up your bum then asking them...what did I eat last night? :lol: when only you know what you ate last night

I'll explain why later if I may as I'm popping out, dam dentists..anyway again welcome and we'll chat later and hope others will step in soon

User avatar
SpanishDuchess
Super Member
Posts: 271
Joined: 02 Sep 2015, 01:15

Re: Am I asexual/aromantic/demi?

Postby SpanishDuchess » 24 Sep 2015, 05:58

Glad to see a new member!
Betrayal is the only truth that sticks. ~Arthur Miller

PiF
Apositive Star
Posts: 2265
Joined: 14 Nov 2011, 22:47

Re: Am I asexual/aromantic/demi?

Postby PiF » 24 Sep 2015, 06:13

Right where was we...i'll cover some of your points but it will just be MY interpretation

EveyHeart wrote:Sooo. Where to begin. I am a 20 year old girl, and I am uncertain in my sexuality.


Don't worry, the biggest age group trying to find their place in the world is between late teens and early adult...your not alone

EveyHeart wrote: The guy didn’t quite see it the same way, and he was devastated to learn that we wouldn’t spend the rest of our lives together.


I think most will get that, now more than ever the first person you fall in love will almost 99.9% not be the person you spend the rest of your life with

EveyHeart wrote: After a while, when we were speaking again, Jack actually mentioned that he found me a bit weird while we were dating, seeing as I didn’t appear interested in anything sexual. Or intimate, at all. «I was thinking you might be, like, asexual, or something», he said, and I said «of course not», because I’m not. How could I be, when I’ve always felt like I have a high sex-drive and have masturbated frequently for at least ten years?


Common missconceptions...asexuality has nothing to do with masturbation, libido or high sexual drive...you will find some asexuals masturbate and some do not, some will have a high libido and some will have none and some are very sex positive whilst others are sexually repulsed...asexuality is the lack of sexual attraction...that is it

EveyHeart wrote:Which is true, seeing as «everybody» is thinking about sex every few seconds, and «hitting that» and thinking someone's «hot» or, excuse my language, «fuckable", while I’m just as into sex as everybody else… I just don’t really want to have it. With another person. Like, I’m just fine doing stuff to myself? Feels good, get’s it done the right way, and doesn’t have to include someone else and make it all emotionally messy. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that while I truly enjoy porn, erotica, smut, etc., I never actually envision another person while masturbating.


I would agree in some part but humanity has changed..certianly the internet generation when it comes to relationships. They seem to want a microwave one rather than a slow roast...instant, here and now then when finished a quick burst of "O wow is my relationship all gone...o wow is me...next" then 5 minutes later seeing the menu again

This approach to sex is just part of the jigsaw rather than the main picture..it's seen as a get in,,do it...move on so even the non emotional act of sex is being seen as a must do but do it as quickly as possible and get it over and done with asap..if this trend continues I see people building robots to have sex and relationships with

I've also said in the past..and this is where so many wrongly identify as asexual..youngsters more and more are thinking more about ME than WE..they are more likely to cater their life around what THEY and only THEY want for their future...in these cases, long term relationships are often the first casualty as they require for that person, too much compromise and too much effort seeing relationships as meh

when this happens..apathy towards all that relationships encompass is I feel, far too often being seen as asexuality

EveyHeart wrote: However it does make me feel «disconnected» or "on the outside", like there’s something most everybody else is experiencing and I’m just «wrong». I’ll be sitting at a bar watching a friend make out with someone she literally met twenty minutes ago, and I’ll think «this is completely weird. What the? Why would you do that with a stranger? ….why do it at all». I’m not a prude or a grandma, but I just don’t get the appeal.


well this pretty much ties in with what I've just said..they don't want a relationship as they are too much hard work, too many compromises and requires a daily effort more and more can't be arsed to do...but..they still have a itch from time to time that needs to be scratched that masturbation simply will not cure....I do not think it will surprise you that sexual disease through one night stands is on the increase

EveyHeart wrote: Finally I would like to know if anyone has any insights on how I should go on about «coming out» if the need should arise. I've pretty much been living on Tumblr these past couple of months, and even though I only follow fandom blogs the whole LGBT, Kinsley scale, CIS, feminism, racism, etc, etc, etc.-side of Tumblr have reached me pretty well.


Not a fan of the term coming out. It is so heavily linked to being gay that unless you are gay and declaring it, then who ever you say to .."I want to come out"...will think your gay..as to the tumblr, lgbt, kinsey scale etc, not one will add to clarity but all will add to the confusion

If I can bring this nearly to a close..it is no coincidence that the majority who identify as some form of asexuality..are females between 16-24, probably are aware of lgbt in some form and will more than likely be at uni/college..it is also no coincidence that the amount of people who identify as asexual of somekind drops off dramatically after the age of 24...make of that what you will.

For me asexuality is from birth and is a on off switch..you either are asexual or are not...for some they believe in a spectrum with more variances than an anime convention and that is why some people struggle with ...am i asexual

EveyHeart wrote: And finally finally, you know… Am I asexual or aromantic? Demi? Something new and exciting I don’t even know exist yet? :)


Which comes back to my earlier point...what did you eat :lol:

So for now..look around..read as much as you think you can and see what you feel applies to you but don't live your life as though that is all you are

welcome


Return to “Sexuality”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest