Is social media responsible for the rise of sexual offences?

For discussion of issues pertaining to sexuality. Warning: Topics within this forum may contain frank discussion of a sexual nature.
PiF
Apositive Star

Is social media responsible for the rise of sexual offences?

Postby PiF » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:09 am

It's no secret I am not a fan of social media seeing it largely as people trying to get their 15 minutes of fame through at least one screen in their life.

What I have seen of it is shedloads upon shedloads of young impressionable women, posing in very little and doing trout pout selfies...yuk

But i began to feel if this is how young women see themselves..could it also be that young men see them in the same way and as a result the increase in the highest ever sexual attacks against women?

These figures are produced this year and by the crown prosecution office...similar to the u.s. district attorneys office but in our case it is for the whole of Great Britain

http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/latest_news/ ... and_wales/

Do young women understand that the increase in sexual selfies adds to the confusion on yes or no...and do young men understand the increase from women in sexual selfies does not mean an increase in women saying yes just by posting these?

I also understand particularly in colleges/uni's in the states there is also a rise in sexual assaults against women

so do you think women young women have lowered their standards...do you think more young men are now judging young women by selfies and social media

and do you think the rise in social media and sexual assaults are related

KAGU143
Administrator

Re: Is social media responsible for the rise of sexual offences?

Postby KAGU143 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:14 pm

Well . . . I'm very active on Facebook, and I don't see any of those selfies that you're talking about. I'm sure they exist, but they wouldn't be the sort of thing that any of my friends would be posting.
I keep up with several agriculture-related groups run by people in my local area, and they help a lot when I have extra chickens to sell or if I'm looking for a good deal on . . . well, almost anything, actually. Can you believe that there are actually people who want antibiotic-free manure so badly that they will come, shovel it up, and take it away - and all for FREE??!?

I also found a local Facebook group of people who pick wild mushrooms, and I have learned a LOT about how to identify them, especially since the members all live close to me and we see the same kinds of mushrooms popping up at around the same time. Those photos are beyond price!

Now, I understand that Facebook is rapidly being overtaken by old folks like me, and that the younger crowd is moving on to other, more interesting pastures, but I don't know any more than that since I don't want to get sucked in to any more time-eating websites.
I'm a weird kind of BRD because I don't tweet.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.