trait vs. fundamental

For discussion of issues pertaining to sexuality. Warning: Topics within this forum may contain frank discussion of a sexual nature.
michaels

trait vs. fundamental

Postby michaels » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:04 am

I think it was Nietzsche who said "The type and strength of a man's sexuality go down to the bottom of his soul." But was he right? Is our asexuality something that fundamentally defines us, or is it just an aspect of us the way blond hair is just an aspect? Or, alternatively, are what we consider just aspects, such as blond hair, something that fundamentally defines us as well?

Dargon
Mega Member

Re: trait vs. fundamental

Postby Dargon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Depends on the person. Some people do seem to define themselves by their sexuality or their hair color. For others, it is just a trait. Likewise, some people define others by their sexuality or hair color, while others don't.

Astrid

Re: trait vs. fundamental

Postby Astrid » Fri May 04, 2012 4:40 am

I think people will be affected by their sexuality, be it asexuality, heterosexuality, you-name-it. I believe our sexuality affects the way we interact with other people, and the way we perceive other people.
Whether we consider (a)sexuality as being a defining trait for us depends on the individual, and how well aware we are as individuals of the way our (a)sexuality affects us.
Compared to a trait as blond hair, our sexulity isn't changeable in the same manner. I mean, it is so very easy to dye our hair and potentially "redefining" ourselves that way.
Personally, I have the feeling that my asexuality affects the way I perceive myself in relation to other people. For instance, I'd rather not have people considering me as a potential sexual partner, and I guess that I act in certain ways due to this. To me, that will in the long run define me.