Semi/demi/grey/pan..shouldn't they be sexual not asexual?

For discussion of issues pertaining to sexuality. Warning: Topics within this forum may contain frank discussion of a sexual nature.
PiF
Apositive Star

Semi/demi/grey/pan..shouldn't they be sexual not asexual?

Postby PiF » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:50 pm

My feelings on this are well known in that I believe this group should ..certianly on aven...have the grey forum shut down and open it again as a sub forum in the "For Sexual Partners, Friends and Allies"

My reasoning is as follows...you not a half vegetarian , you either are or are not.... your not half a thief , your either a thief or not...... your not half a ..well you get the picture

Also I think the term is offensive to sexuals...some will say " me I'm semi/demi/grey/pan" but they admit they have sexual attraction to others and to say well it's only one or two people...well that implies that sexuals are all f*ck monkeys and walk around humping anything for any reason..sure some do but the majority of sexuals do not unless...surprise surprise..they are sexually attracted to someone also

So they are a welcome sexual ally.... but asexual...no

I do listen to others views so I'd welcome them

Ciri
Mega Member

Re: Semi/demi/grey/pan..shouldn't they be sexual not asexual?

Postby Ciri » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:58 pm

I agee but when I voice that opinion, people hit me with rolled up newspaper.
You're all dead and I'm your eternal punishment.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Wear a ww1 german helmet with a spike on it and let them skewer their own hand

jmb
Established Member

Postby jmb » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:01 pm

PiF wrote:Wear a ww1 german helmet with a spike on it and let them skewer their own hand

If that would only work to get them to realise the truth. :silence:

Other than that, of course I agree with this post.
"He won't be your assistant" - Greg Lestrade
"But I need an audience" - What Sherlock Holmes meant to say.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:40 pm

I also agree 100% with the OP, although it's probably a minor complaint in light of AVEN having entire threads on kinks, fetishes, erotica, dirty fanfics, the intimate details of asexuals' sexual relationships, etc. I've also noticed some very dodgy activity there involving certain codewords.

jmb
Established Member

Postby jmb » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:33 pm

Michael wrote:I also agree 100% with the OP, although it's probably a minor complaint in light of AVEN having entire threads on kinks, fetishes, erotica, dirty fanfics, the intimate details of asexuals' sexual relationships, etc.

And God-forbid should you mention that such discussions might make "outsiders" question the validity of asexuality :sarc:

Michael wrote:I've also noticed some very dodgy activity there involving certain codewords.

I don't want to know (and yet I sort of do... such a conundrum.) :shifty:

Random: Whenever I get the notion that I should try to understand the "sexual world," I do read dirty fanfics or query sexual photos and the like. I approach it almost scientifically. The problem is - it puts me to sleep. I kid you not! I find it utterly boring - :yawn: The few times that I've come across 'not boring' fics and such, they usually describe bodies moving in a manner that is actually impossible and it shatters the image for me - and then I'm back to being bored :mrgreen:

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:06 pm

I've given up trying to understand a long time ago. What I do know is there are people with certain... tastes, and sometimes that happens to be watching teenagers post their initmate details. They've developed their own slang to stay under the radar.

jmb
Established Member

Postby jmb » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:12 pm

Michael wrote:I've given up trying to understand a long time ago. What I do know is there are people with certain... tastes, and sometimes that happens to be watching teenagers post their initmate details. They've developed their own slang to stay under the radar.

Not surprising, but still sort of... sad? Disturbing? I don't know, but my decision to leave AVEN is being confirmed as a good idea more and more everyday.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:36 pm

One of the reasons I don't tell anyone in person that I'm asexual. AVEN would be the first place they look, if they were interested enough.

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:11 am

I often follow any explanation of what asexuality is with "and if you go look this up you will find AVEN, and here is why you do not use AVEN as a source of information."

As for semi/demi/gray, I view them as being sexual, but very strongly linked to asexuality, due to not being as sexual as typical culture expects everyone to be. So they're allies, but they're allies that benefit from us much more than most people do, and thus are associated with asexuality. Similar to how gay and bi are not the same thing, but a lot of their issues overlap and therefore the groups are closely linked. Not to say that this is necessarily a good or bad thing, just that it makes sense to me why it's happened, and I'm not upset by it.

Though as for pan... as in "pansexual"? Or has AVEN come up with another pan-something since I was there? Because if that's referring to pansexual being grouped in with a, gray and demi, it has got to be using a different definition than I've ever heard of. I'm still not upset, but I am really confused....

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:39 am

The pansexual I was reffering to was the same and I know it largely along these lines...(although not comforteable with wikipedia, most definitions were more or less the same)

Pansexuality, or omnisexuality,[1] is sexual attraction, sexual desire, romantic love, or emotional attraction toward people of all gender identities and biological sexes

I'd be interested para to know how you view pan or omni

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:44 am

Yep, that's the same definition I've always seen used. So I have no idea what it's doing in with a, gray and demi....

CatBunny
Established Member

Postby CatBunny » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:14 pm

I thought it was well established demi/gray were sorta the gray area of sexuality, not complete asexuality but not completely 100% sexual? Also how is pansexuality even related to asexuality? It's stated as a non-asexual orientation.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:36 pm

I would agree that is is more a semi/demi/grey sexuality and NOT a grey semi demi grey asexuality.

However, the group missapropriating the term are mostly the age group desperatly looking for something to belong too and over time the community has let something that was never supposed to be...now be used far too often and in the wrong context..100% asexuals personally I feel are rarer than hens teeth and even more so if they are 100% life long asexuals

The pan thing, I wish I knew but look at the avatars with multiple descriptions on them and you will see far too many claiming pan and asexuality. I always felt pan was just another word for bi myself but was created to satisfy subsets of subsets of subsets that the sexual labelists seem to be obsessed with

Pans seem to want to hump anything that moves with sexual attraction poring out of every bodily orifice so have no relation or place being described as anything asexual

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:54 am

I haven't seen anyone claim to be pansexual and asexual at the same time. More likely they are claiming to be panromantic and asexual, which is quite possible.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:00 am

What's your view on this Michael?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JspFOVe9n8Y

CatBunny
Established Member

Postby CatBunny » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:49 am

I would think either bi or pan label covers the rest if they are attracted to two or more genders and for asexuality, it would make sense if they were in the gray area. But how does that even work all at once? My only guess is that they're confused completely and/or can't find a label for themselves. At least they haven't gone the more bizarre route and called them a weird label like pineapplesexual.
Last edited by CatBunny on Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:49 am

PiF wrote:What's your view on this Michael?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JspFOVe9n8Y

Thank you! There's always a first time for everything. I have now seen one person claiming to be pansexual, asexual and even heterosexual at the same time.

What they're claiming is, on the face of it, a contradiction. Presumably they know that and they explain their position in more detail in the video. Sometimes people do have positions that seem contradictory but then have an explanation as to why they are not - usually it's to do with using the terms in an inconsistent way.

So yes: the video is claiming something that, taken at face value, is a contradiction. Make of that what you will.

OTOH, the people who identify as panromantic and asexual are *not* claiming the same thing as this person, and the former accounts for the vast majority of people who use the labels pan and asexual.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:57 pm

Your welcome but all I did was go onto you tube and typed into the search bar...asexual pansexual

Just because i think a lot of the labels are not real but made up...doesnt mean i dont try and find out what they claim to be :D

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:57 am

Right - you can often find all sort of "weird and wonderful" things if you specifically search for them, even when they aren't common or typical of a certain population.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:10 pm

Ain't that the truth, I saw they were launching pieces of ace again on you tube, so I went looking for the original and first time they tried it 5 years ago...some familiar old faces like Ally, Egd, cale, vlad