Asexual Visibility, Apositive style - We get wild ideas!

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
KAGU143
Administrator

Asexual Visibility, Apositive style - We get wild ideas!

Postby KAGU143 » 09 Nov 2015, 05:34

We already have an alternate website address (asexuality2.org) which is set to re-direct people to our home page, but I was thinking about an idea that I had while writing a post this morning.

It seems to me that Apositive has more of a family feel than AVEN does, or maybe it's something closer to a team spirit.
(Does anybody else get this same feeling, or is it just me? )

I was thinking about trying to design something like an official "Team A" logo that could be put on T-shirts and etc, that we would sell at cost if anybody wants them.

The "A" would have the plus sign in the middle, just like our main logo, and I would probably use the 4 colors from the asexual flag, but it would otherwise be very subtle and not something that would openly tell the entire world about your sex life.

What do you folks think? Interested? Would you wear such a thing?
I'm just bouncing the idea around in my head right now, but if it seems like a good idea to some of you guys than I will go ahead and try to come up with a design.
If you have any other ideas, feel free to submit them.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

PiF
Apositive Star

Re: Asexual Visibility, Apositive style - We get wild ideas!

Postby PiF » 09 Nov 2015, 07:15

Whilst I accept we are a much smaller us...there is little or no them and us here between members and admins/admods i think that has been because conversations have largely been allowed to explore all possibilities/opinions without the need of a 1984 style of intrusion and censorship that has become the very standard and norm of the other place

in that regards. I actually enjoy signing into Apos in a way I rarely did in the other place...I think also hitting the key areas has helped rather fragmenting the board into tribes that seem to fight each other within the same forum

Can I be honest on the T shirt Idea Nancy?

I think Apositive looses a lot of search traffic because some assume Apositive means a blood group forum or an aids support forum so I'm not sure if the T's would be a....not a huge success at cost but more the name might see very few sold

am I way off here, If I am then I apologise.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 09 Nov 2015, 08:21

I know that we lose a lot of search engine visibility due to our name. In fact I had some misgivings about it from the very beginning for exactly that reason, but it wasn't my decision; it was Karl's, and at that time I honestly don't think that he wanted a lot of random people visiting just out of curiosity.
It's the name we have, though, and after almost 7 years it has grown familiar and comfortable. I don't see the need to try to change it, and besides, doing that would completely erase this website. We could archive what we have and link to it, but our little spot on the WWW would be gone.

At this point in time, I doubt if search engines have very much to do with attracting people to asexual websites anyway, at least by a percentage viewpoint. You can complain about his apathy toward AVEN all the time, as much as you want - I know that I certainly do! - but despite that, DJ has managed to make asexuality pretty much a household word, at least in the English-speaking world, and he deserves a lot of credit for that. Our members come from AVEN almost exclusively. I can't think of any exceptions at all, especially among those who are currently active.

I was envisioning T-shirts as more of a small private thing, just for our members, although they could certainly be made available to anybody else who wanted one. I don't even know if I could get Kæth to wear one. Maybe, maybe not . . .
But I would!

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 09 Nov 2015, 08:54

On a related thought, several years ago I made a design called "Unscrewed, Yet Illuminating" which eventually became one of several patterns that were available from CafePress via the old AVEN Store.
I was wondering whatever became of it and I tried to look it up online, only to discover that my version is GONE, and that it has been replaced by a different image using the same caption. I'm not sure what I think about this. It was never copyrighted, so there is no legal wrongdoing, but . . . ?
For one thing, I liked my original image a lot better than the generic one that's replaced it. I still have an old shirt which has it, and Kæth has another one, so it's not hopelessly lost, but I have no idea whether or not I still have the original BMP file, or even which computer it was on.

Also, I have a vague memory of being asked something about the use of that image or caption several years ago, but I cannot for the life of me remember the details of what it was about.

Stupid CRS!!
(Getting old sux.)

Edit: This old AVEN link, from when the image was still new, was as close to it as I could get. The image itself isn't there, but I found it interesting that a number of people really liked Apositive's simple "A" logo.
http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/3198 ... -graphics/

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 09 Nov 2015, 09:33

KAGU143 wrote:I was envisioning T-shirts as more of a small private thing, just for our members, although they could certainly be made available to anybody else who wanted one. I don't even know if I could get Kæth to wear one. Maybe, maybe not . . .
But I would!

It's funny....i had time to think about your post then my post and I just signed back in because I was wrong and missed your point.....Family

we seem to be a group of asexuals very much at peace in here and the t shirt would be more of a show of family rather than a i am asexual so i must have a t shirt

On that basis yes...I'd be interested

CatBunny
Established Member

Postby CatBunny » 18 Jan 2017, 14:41

I'm a graphic designer/concept artist, maybe I could help. I could spice it up with a lot of things like a mascot or something if you want. Maybe make it available to other aces or allies on one of those popular t-shirt sites. Someone's bound to buy it if you advertise it all over social media sites like tumblr lol

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 19 Jan 2017, 07:15

Hmmmmm . . . thanks for bringing back this thread, Cat.
I wonder, is the asexual community ready to truly support a more grown-up alternative to AVEN, or are they content to hang around on the playground with the kids who are still trying on (or inventing) a new sexual identity every few months as they struggle to find out what fits?

I ask, because I've been feeling discouraged by how dead this place has been lately. Kæth has lost interest in it too, so it's basically just me running it as a solo project, and I'm having trouble finding the motivation to keep it up. I'm only a few days away from celebrating my 13th anniversary since joining the asexual movement, and I'm tired.

If you build it they will come?

Well, this site has been "built" for quite a few years, and . . . . *crickets* . . . .

I think I could re-kindle some enthusiasm, though.
What kinds of ideas do you have? I really like the idea of a mascot. I always felt an affinity toward honeybees as good little asexuals, but some people are creeped out by them and I never tried to follow up on it.
A cute, readily recognizable mascot might be just the thing.

CatBunny
Established Member

Postby CatBunny » 19 Jan 2017, 14:17

KAGU143 wrote:What kinds of ideas do you have? I really like the idea of a mascot. I always felt an affinity toward honeybees as good little asexuals, but some people are creeped out by them and I never tried to follow up on it.
A cute, readily recognizable mascot might be just the thing.

I'm sure a stylistic bee would be cute, bees are the buzz all over the internet nowadays haha. People sure do love them. I thought of maybe sheep too since they always are the subject of most LGBT studies, they are pretty cute and their colors and black and white. Or those whiptail lizards that are completely asexual, although I guess most people don't care about lizards as mascots.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 20 Jan 2017, 04:13

Hahaha!
I think I needed a good pun this morning. ('Cuz I'm trying not to think about national events. *sigh*)

I always think of the whiptail lizards, too, when I consider asexual animals, but I wonder if maybe they're the wrong kind of asexual?
The thing I like about honeybees (the workers) is that they are clearly female, and in an emergency they CAN reproduce, but as a rule they can't be bothered because they have more important and fulfilling things to do.

CatBunny
Established Member

Postby CatBunny » 20 Jan 2017, 14:12

Well they do have lesbisn relationships so maybe they're more gay than asexual even if they reproduce asexually lol. I think bees are great since you can use their striped abdomen for the flag and you got a queen bee, maybe call it queen of aces or something.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 20 Jan 2017, 14:47

True. I was thinking that the stripes might be something useful to play with. Also, it would be easy to make their wings into a stylized letter A.
Or heck . .. the whole little bee could almost look like an A.
I was never good at that type of art. I can almost visualize it sometimes but I can never recreate what I think I see in my head.

CatBunny
Established Member

Postby CatBunny » 20 Jan 2017, 16:27

ah cool, would you like me to PM some sketches, maybe?

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 21 Jan 2017, 15:58

Sure! I think it would be fun to see what ideas you come up with.

(And Thank You! I REALLY appreciate this. You can't imagine what a lift it is to finally have something interesting happening on the site.)

Return to “Community & Public Visibility”