Labels and reasons why people doubt us

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
flergalwit
Mega Member

Re: Labels and reasons why people doubt us

Postby flergalwit » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:23 am

There have been regular squabbles, reports, mini-flamewars(lite), bannings, complaints about the moderation, conspiracy theories, factional disputes etc etc in the 7 years I've been on or lurking on AVEN. I can imagine it was a very different place when there were only a handful of users who all knew each other, much like apositive is now, but I don't think the change was due to the moderation; it was due to AVEN becoming large and high profile.

It's up to you whether you go on vid, but there is nothing wrong with presenting a different view on asexuality. You can give your view; I'll give mine; others will do likewise.

Incidentally an article came out the other day, which you may like, at least in part.
http://www.vice.com/read/asexuality-car ... d-falconer

The pictures were taken many years ago when I lived in Coventry and yeah before I had any facial hair. The quote that stuck out for me (and I don't necessarily even agree with but I expect you do):
"The criterion? Never feeling a sexual attraction to anyone at all. Ever."

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:18 pm

Jeezus Michael!

That should have had a tmi warning, never mind the lack of fungus on your face what about that shirt???? Who dresses you??? James May :lol: ...Ciri...take him clothes shopping pleaaaaazzzzzzze

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:41 pm

Yeah you're right; I wasn't wearing tie-dye for once. Shameful... (Why Ciri?? She sees me about as often as you do, Piffy...)

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:43 am

hi Narnia, belatedly, yes missed you

Not with anger but with sadness I saw this thread http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/1174 ... out/page-1

It rather ..as they do..continually show even pt members and long term asexuals are still confusing the lack of sexual attraction..with yes or no to sex

My asexuality is wether I am attracted to anyone sexually..which clearly is what asexuality is...so why is it people are still confusing it with should i or shouldn't I have sex?

The should I shouldn't i have sex is in relation to sexual beliefs, i.e. sexual repulsion, anti sexual etc..but still..when this continues in the largest forum for asexuals..still seems to get confused ..hey asexuality, that's where you don't have sex right? as sellers of a message, aven would not be an agency I would employ.

How do we correct this continuation of incorrect information?

CatBunny
Established Member

Postby CatBunny » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:39 pm

Oh wow, I commented on this when I still had an account, thankfully my comments gone, probably received some slack from some idiots on there. I said this is in no way is an actual sexual orientation, just possibly a description of what some aces might feel at most. Basically a new word invented for some random phenomenon. Some aces just think it is all just another description, although some are adopting it as a legit orientation.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:12 pm

Nancy perrrrleeeeze can we have a face palm smileeeeeeee

post 3... http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/1225 ... s-lexicon/

I must admit I am very tempted to use their terms but add the PiF definitions. it would blow some cobwebs of that i'm sure....very tempted :D 8)

CatBunny
Established Member

Postby CatBunny » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:53 pm

ewww i'm gonna puke claiming mental illness changes your orientation, essentially claiming your orientation is simply a mental problem. Neurodiversity movement should burn slowly and painfully. I've never seen a more disgusting movement in my life, having struggled with a mental illness and seeing people acting like mental illness is a gift. Ugh.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:33 am

Okay lets roll with it and see where it goes

Abrosexual-A sexual person who goes around calling everyone "Bro" despite not even being related to them
Acosexual- A sexual person who has a fear of Acorns
Adfectual/Adfectusexual/Affectusexual/Adfsexual- A sexual person who likes to play scrabble and get the highest score
Aegosexual/Autochorissexual- A sexual person who loves holidaying in the Agean and having sex in their car
Akoi(ne)sexual / Aprosexual aka Lithsexual- a sexual person who likes to draw on limestone with wax crayons or likes Japanese fish
Allosexual- A sexual person greeting from someone who is French... bonjour Renee mon cher
Androsexual-A sexual Person who gets the horn watching the programme Andromeda..i think it's the tight costumes at comi con that does it
Apathsexual-A sexual person who can't be arsed
Apothisexual -A sexual Person who may have been dabbling in cannabis..apot head
Apressexual-A sexual/Asexual person who used to study to be a journalist but now anyone can call themselves a journalist by doing a crappy blogg..Hiya Ivy :D
Asexual-A Person who does not experiences sexual attraction ...Normally life long and 100% but some want to join the gang, hey why not
Bellussexual*- A sexual person who is obsessed with Harry Potter and the character Bellatrix Lestrange
Bisexual- A sexual/Asexual very greedy Person :D
Boreasexual-A sexual person who to avoid at parties, they would bore the tits off you..or they get the horn at seeing the northern lights
Burstsexual-A sexual person who experiences sudden orgasms...don't stand too close to them and they always carry wet wipes
Caedsexual/Kalossexual- A sexual person who likes to do hair removal and watching the programme about monks at the same time
Cupiosexual-A sexual Person who spends more time on ok cupid than they should..and still only ends up with their hand for enjoyment
Demisexual-A sexual Person who orders their frothy coffee from starbucks
Fraysexual- A Asexual Person who used to be a hippy but has now grown older and got a proper job but still wears frayed stringy tie dye clothes at the weekend..hiya Michael :D
Greysexual-A sexual person who goes to starbucks with the demisexual but orders dirty dishwater as a drink
Gynesexual/Gynosexual-A sexual Person who takes photos of their nunu and laughs and laughs and laughs
Heterosexual-A sexual/asexual Person who is straight
Heteroflexible-A sexual person who wants to be a circus performer or gymnast
Homoflexible-A sexual person who wants to stand very close behind that circus performer or gymnast
Homosexual-A sexual/asexual person who might have to share the remote as they may have a same sex partner
Hypersexual-A sexual Person who is a very very horny fucker
Hyposexual-A sexual Person who is the opposite of above
Idemsexual-A sexual Person who often buys products with the letter I at the front of the name
Nebulasexual- A sexual person who has asthma and uses a breathing device
Novisexual-A sexual person who who comes from Novi in Michigan
Omniasexual- A sexual Person who just loves sparkles and glitter but not much else
Pansexual-A sexual Person who has a kitchenware sexual fetish...and they will f*ck anything given the chance
Placiosexual- A sexual Person who likes to speak and express in exagerated mock Italian styleee
Post rubor- A sexual person who is continually trying to shag lamposts
Polysexual-A sexual Person who got their best shags when they went to the polytechnic student bar on 2 for 1 night but was too drunk to remember their names
Proquusexual- A sexual person who continually tries speaking in Latin but fails
Quassexual-A sexual Person who has a fascination with Notre Dame (the French one) and it's most famous resident
Quoisexual aka WTFsexuals- a sexual Person who ..well lets be honest..they don't even know what they are
Recipsexual-A sexual Person who gets aroused in the kitchen whilst reading a cook book...ooooo hot fudge on a stick
Requiesssexual-A sexual Person who spends far too much time online playing league of legends
Sapiosexual - A sexual Person who is a sap
Skoliosexual - A sexual Person who has a very curved spine
Zedsexual- A sexual person who fell asleep reading reading this list of pretend identities which most have absolutely nothing to do with asexuality zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Last edited by PiF on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ciri
Mega Member

Postby Ciri » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:20 pm

I added my 2 cents and hope they comply.
You're all dead and I'm your eternal punishment.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:43 pm

You been scaring people again ? :lol:

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:26 am

I wonder if the label obsession is linked to the googlization of humanity?

I've used google but it could be any search engine. People are now so used to being lazy and internet searching for an answer.... that they do not take time to discover who they are...they want the answer and they want it NOW!!!!

You do not get a fine wine bottled then within seconds drink it...why would you expect to learn who and what you are within a split second of a google search or ten minutes in a forum?

Why is this related to the subject..according to avens own figures asexuals are between 16-24 and female...most will have decided this not based on years of research, understanding and knowing themselves but more likely a google click.

This is why you see so many come in declaring i AM ASEXUAL...only for a few months later they admit being grey/semi/demi and a few months more never to be seen again

Nothing wrong with discovery...but when you change labels more often than some change their under crackers..then you have to take some responsibility as to why you harm asexuality, our visibility and... asexuals themselves.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:28 am

I actually agree with this idea on quite a few levels.
I strongly suspect that much of the asexual hair-splitting that you see on AVEN (asexual types A-Z, with subsets coming soon to a neighborhood near you ...) is not due to anything that AVEN is doing or not doing, but is instead a product of the times and the ever-increasing inability of (mostly) young people to concentrate and think things through. They have the attention span of a butterfly.
Being raised by the TV didn't do anybody any favors, but now we have those from the TV generation, already somewhat damaged when it comes to social interactions, raising their own children (or trying to) and passing on their own social dysfunction which is then magnified even more by society's current obsession with constant but extremely shallow communication that involves absolutely NO personal interaction.

Today we have the soundbite generation.
Have you noticed that modern TV scenes almost never last for more than 4 seconds before the view changes? There's a very sad reason for that.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:47 pm

I wonder...I saw something where they said ..We're complex and labeling literally everything about ourselves isn't the answer to explaining ourselves to others.

On this I would sort of agree however I have a different take on that

We're complex..I do not think we are, we are after all nothing more than moving meat sacks just like most most animals...I do think however that we are NOT complex but WE make our own lives complex

labeling literally everything about ourselves isn't the answer to explaining ourselves to others....The more and more I think of this, the more I am inclined to feel labelling is NOT the wish to identify who and what we are....... but instead it is a way to hide and promote something special although we are not ....rather than admit..we are just as average as the next person?

A shield of labels to take away reality and the realisation that we are just the same as everyone else bar a very few minor tweaks

The irony of course is that the labelling system can be used by average people to not only say they are special in some way..but can also use it as "victimhood" rather than admit that level or normality.... so the further you go into adding labels to yourself, the more likely you are to be someone escaping from reality and trying to isolate yourself by using labels and their pro's & cons for your own feel good purpose and advantage but will lash out at those who see you are doing it in that fashion

Respect meeeeeeeee as I have more labels than youuuuuuuu and if you doubt me then You are the problemmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and not meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It's this level of labelling disorder that i think highlights fakery in what ever field you apply it too...It's just unfortuneate it seems to be quite prominent amongst many claiming to be "asexual of some kind"

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:25 am

I'm using this more as an example of why people seem confused about asexuality than a pop at aven

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/1254 ... -be-great/

It still seems even within the largest asexual forum...people are confusing the lack of sexual attraction with ...not having sex

how can we come up with a message or better way to reduce the common confusion around the two? how can we do it within our own communities first as clearly if we are selling family silver, it helps if it is silver

what say you?

SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:32 am

Most of these labels are really too excessive. I think they mistake prefferences for orientation. The next thing we'll get is cisracesexual and blondesexual.

Also I really don't the squishes and such AVEN seem to be obssessed with. Like, you think someone is cool and want to be friends with them? Isn't that perfectly normal? XD For me it seem like either people who are actually liking someone, but want to be aromantic and then call it a squish, or want the deskre to have a friendship to be something more special than it really is :p And now they've also started to say "lushing"'and other things. That is, they have a strong desire to cuddle someone...

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:35 am

Get ready for the labellist abellist social justice warriors part time asexuals to start frothing at the mouth...again

Kendall Jenner and Carla Delevingne are to launch their own fashion label and they have decided to call it .....CaKe

yes you lefty mouth frother's they have stolen the asexual cake :lol:

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:05 am

Hahaha!

I can't really see any problem with it since they're only using parts of their own names, but that doesn't mean that there won't be somebody somewhere who will become offended.

(I think that being offended is the "in" thing to do nowadays, and this makes me quite happy to be so very unfashionable.)
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.