Labels and reasons why people doubt us

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
PiF
Apositive Star

Labels and reasons why people doubt us

Postby PiF » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:54 am

And this weeks "I'm an asexual honest" stupidest label winner issssssssssssss

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/1128 ... ard-of-it/

Nanccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy we need a falm palm smillleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Narnia
Established Member

Re: Labels and reasons why people doubt us

Postby Narnia » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:15 am

Oh good grief!!! Words fail... :roll:

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:01 pm

Asexual or not, anybody who manages to spell that monstrosity correctly should get some sort of credit.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Narnia
Established Member

Postby Narnia » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:05 am

With bonus points if they can pronounce them correctly :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:32 am

And this weeks "I'm an asexual honest" stupidest label winner issssssssssssss

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/1129 ... ord-usage/

you know what I notice ...is when the person stating it as fact knows it's bullshit.... then accuses others who question them by stating "erasure"

erasure is what hitler did to the poilish, jews and gypsies and it is not some one having a different opinion to you...when will these emo kids ever learn

Narnia
Established Member

Postby Narnia » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Is there a label for those who don't want or need another lable???

This is what springs to my mind when reading the word 'Erasure' :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x34icYC8zA0

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:18 pm

Narnia wrote:Is there a label for those who don't want or need another lable???

I did read of a new illness in the British Medical Journal...it was called Avenitus...the obsessive need to label everything and everyone, apparently there is no cure for the infected.

Of interest, when one or two said stop this silliness claiming erasure and silly labels.... A mod locked the thread..worringly for me... this appears to show whilst silliness and plain stupidity are being promoted as asexuality within aven, the minute anyone say hey this aint right....they lock it down

This would appear to show that there is an agenda by the majority of avens backroom to do their very best to make asexuals and asexuality look incredibly bad whilst stomping on those who say..hey this isn't what we are and it needs to stop.

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:26 am

I am not remotely bothered by whatever "stupid" terms people like to make up. People need to experiment and I'm glad that AVEN gives them a place to do so.

Unless they get accepted by the community at large, I just don't see the issue. I will personally never use e.g. "allosexual" - the Tumblr term for "sexual" - because I'm perfectly happy with the term "sexual" and I don't think most sexuals find it offensive. But as far as individuals are concerned, experiment away as far as I'm concerned!

If you don't like a term or if you think a term is not useful, you always have the radical option of not using it. Just like if someone doesn't like your posts, they are always free to ignore them.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:02 am

I posted it in the other thread but as you have mentioned it...it's bad enough some in aven want to label everything about us but now they want to label others

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/1111 ... good-term/

They are as you said free to ignore it and not use it..however..for some one looking into such places with this constant label hysteria..you can't help but suspect they feel like Alice with a looking glass..it really isn't seen as a positive about the community at all

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:44 pm

Allosexual is largely a tumblr + other-social-media thing. I'm pretty sure it wasn't invented on AVEN and the dominant term on AVEN remains "sexual". In some contexts the term "non-asexual" is clearer still.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:15 pm

I know I didn't find it on tumblr because I never go there

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... Allosexual

2013... http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/9561 ... llosexual/

jan 2013... http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/8276 ... try2316454

aug 2012... http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/7087 ... try2217720

I could keep doing this all day long to prove the point that the term is offensive and is not being corrected..still like the other thread...it's no ones fault hey

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:46 pm

Yes it appears on AVEN. It also appears on apositive - right here in this thread. But the dominant term on AVEN is "sexual" not "allosexual".

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:54 pm

You know Michael, just once...given how few resources there really are for asexuals..and even less for long term asexuals......it would ne nice for some of those who can change things for the better to say...it aint great, lets try and make it better...rather than ..everyone else is doing it, it's no ones fault...sigh

Narnia
Established Member

Postby Narnia » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:07 am

Seems to be a bit like a club with secret words and only club members know what they mean. Leaves us outsiders feeling left out.

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:21 am

PiF wrote:You know Michael, just once...given how few resources there really are for asexuals..and even less for long term asexuals......it would ne nice for some of those who can change things for the better to say...it aint great, lets try and make it better...rather than ..everyone else is doing it, it's no ones fault...sigh

Hey I'm not going to get hot under the collar if some people use terms I don't agree with, especially when it's a relatively low volume such as it is with allosexual on AVEN. A bit like the way I'm not bothered about the fact you are filling apositive with postings that I don't agree with. The only person responsible for it is you, and the only person whose reputation it would reflect badly on if any is you; ditto the labels.

Narnia
Established Member

Postby Narnia » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:36 am

As it seems PiF can't post on AVEN - where else can he post his thoughts?

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:39 am

Aven has rarely liked off message members...which is why at various times, various aven backroom members have come into other forums I have used for no other purpose to either try and persuade me to follow their line or just suffer constant silliness as Michael has shown.

I like him though, he entertains me. :clap:

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:01 pm

That is what I am here for. Though to be honest I always thought it was you who were here for my entertainment. Sounds like a win-win doesn't it, if we're both being entertained?

Incidentally, what I actually said was "I'm not bothered about the fact you are filling apositive with postings that I don't agree with". See the word "not" there? That should be a clue.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:14 pm

O I am sure you agree with some of them Michael, your clever enough not to have been entirely brainwashed by the paranoid bunch called avens back room , I see you as one of the few that are reasonable even if you are a tree hugging spectrum promoting lgbt soldier of confusion for asexuality :P :D

Narnia
Established Member

Postby Narnia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi everyone - anyone missed me? :D

PiF, saw this one today http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/1146 ... piosexual/ - do you think there's a special office where they make this sort of thing up? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:40 am

I did find this

An Aven asexual...A person who is so obsessed with labels they make shit up daily

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:44 pm

Then of course there's

A Piffy asexual - a person who talks shit daily and is obsessed with AVEN!

Ciri
Mega Member

Postby Ciri » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:29 pm

Allosexual is a term that genuinely makes me want to punch the user. That is quite a feat.

The only labels I consider valid are: Asexual, Heterosexual, Homosexual, Bisexual and Pansexual (same for Romantic Orientations.

Boy, Girl and Agender for Gender Related things. I consider Transgender to be more of a description since we are talking genders themselves.

Racial labels are fine too.

What isn't fine is taking various mental conditions and using them as a label. Autism and Depression are big ones here. It isn't something to proudly declare to the rest of the world to be used in the Label Contests I've witnessed in AVEN chatroom. It's a disease. How many people would proudly declare themselves as HIV Positive or a sufferer of Leprosy? No? Then don't make a mockery out of other illnesses.
You're all dead and I'm your eternal punishment.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:34 am

flergalwit wrote:Then of course there's

How rude...Now now Michael...we both know I only talk shit on alternate days..obsessed with aven messing up the integrity and honesty of what asexuality is....is quite different than obsessing over aven.

I did however think about joining a black ops team,(would be my first on the internet ) you know, a team where no one knows what they do or know what on earth they are upto...but it appears their is no vacancy on avens project team at the momment :P :lol:
Last edited by PiF on Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:27 am

flergalwit wrote:Then of course there's

Ironic isn't it; that sort of statement would result in a report and possibly a nudge/warn on AVEN
You lose nothing when fighting for a cause ... In my mind the losers are those who don't have a cause they care about. - Muhammad Ali

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:08 am

PiF wrote:How rude...Now now Michael...we both know I only talk shit on alternate days..

Oh I see. I guess you take a break from the internet those other days.

PiF wrote:I did however think about joining a black ops team,(would be my first on the internet ) you know, a team where no one knows what they do or know what on earth they are upto...but it appears their is no vacancy on avens project team at the momment :P :lol:

That'd be cool; we need someone to help with pushing in the chairs at the end of our meetings. You'd be ideal. :p

For the benefit of others reading, who haven't read Piffy and I going at each other for years: the one thing I do respect about Piffy is that he can take what he dishes out. There are no hard feelings on either side as far as I know. In fact I'm hoping we can make another meet in the next few weekends. What sayest thou, Piffy?
Last edited by flergalwit on Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:03 pm

flergalwit wrote:(For the benefit of others reading, who haven't read Piffy and I going at each other for years: the one thing I do respect about Piffy is that he can take what he dishes out. There are no hard feelings on either side as far as I know.)

Proves PiF's point doesn't it? :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You lose nothing when fighting for a cause ... In my mind the losers are those who don't have a cause they care about. - Muhammad Ali

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:51 am

I do enjoy the banter with Michael and yes it would be great to catch up soon. It does prove a point though that tan raised, if we able to banter as such in aven and the mods, like nancy does, realise anyone can pull out at any time if they find it not for them....then imagine the work load that would be reduced for aven mods?

instead of saying there there snowflake..they should be saying..we have the ignore facility or if that thread offends you steer clear...this then places the personal responsibility of that individual to make an informed and adult choice instead of mum mum I don't like that person having a different opinion than me mummmmmmmmmm.

anyway yes would be great soon...but this week in hastings and no battles so far..see if we can change that...huzzah

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:35 am

PiF wrote:if we able to banter as such in aven and the mods, like nancy does, realise anyone can pull out at any time if they find it not for them....then imagine the work load that would be reduced for aven mods?

I think I've commented on this before but once again can't hurt.

I like both sites and think they serve slightly different (but related) purposes for slightly different (but overlapping) populations.

I personally don't think it would be a good thing if AVEN, with its current population and high visibility, was moderated as lightly as apositive is. Most likely it would create an atmosphere of mass call-outs, counter-call-outs and resulting flamewars. I don't generally think what's on the forum has a huge bearing either way to how the movement is perceived, but if anything would be damaging it would be constantly fighting over who is sexist/racist/ableist/etc v. who is a special snowflake/whose asexuality is real/who is a SJW/etc etc. And of course plenty of infighting within these groups, and the various other factions that would form.

It was even happening in the days of Avalanche; there were people there getting offended on your behalf when I flamed you on there, and vice versa. There are probably people who think it's fine for you to say that "AVEN asexuals make up shit daily" but think it's completely outrageous for me to say that "Piffy talks shit daily". Then there are probably people with the exact opposite point of view. Avalanche was quite fun in some ways with its complete lack of moderation, but a site for serious discussion it certainly wasn't.

If you want another example of a high visibility, mostly-young site that has minimal moderation - just take a look at tumblr. Need I say more?

Incidentally, tumblr and other social media sites are another reason I like hanging out on apositive. It's happened many times in the past that people have set up hate groups against AVEN and especially the AVEN Admods; sometimes they quote messages purporting to show how sexist, racist, ableist someone is, or how they support rape culture. Needless to say these messages are all BS, but unfortunately some people don't check these things out carefully and just believe what they read. I'd really prefer to be able to say what I think without having posts on social media appearing saying "AVEN PT member thinks [insert BS here]", given the damage to AVEN it might do. Hence apos is a good place for that; for the most part the extremists haven't discovered this place and long may that last.

None of this means the moderation on AVEN is perfect. Some of the lines could be drawn in slightly different places to be sure. But for the most part, I think the AVEN ToS serves its purpose. Btw anyone who's read my posts a long time will know I can be extremely acerbic on AVEN too; it's usually possible to make your point, even a controversial and provocative one, while staying within the ToS, if you're careful.

Incidentally, I've filed a report on AVEN exactly 3 times in almost 6 years. That's about only once every two years, which is not bad going.

I suppose what I'm saying is that the asexual community shouldn't be one size fits all. I am fine with AVEN as it is, but I've never tried to say AVEN should be the only asexuality site, or the only approach to asexuality.

Heck even Tumblr has its good points and they've achieved things for the asexual movement that AVEN couldn't have, even though it is NOT my cup of tea and I can't imagine myself ever making an account. (That's why we have someone on the PT who can deal with social media, as it certainly ain't me...)

I am looking at 21-22 March for a meet - either Sat or Sun. I am in contact with a student making a documentary about asexuality; I'd like to invite people along who'd like to take part, though people who don't could sit out of the filming I'm sure.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:04 am

Absolutely there should be different strokes for different strokes...however..in avens case is it the chicken and the egg?

Did they allow the teen obsessed report button pushing snoflakes to turn it into such or did they create it and then they flocked to it. A bit like the state giving benefits to an alcoholic, is that person an alcoholic and the state tries to support them or is the state an enabler by giving them the money to stay drunk?

In avens case there is proof it was once a place where you could be adult and respect others views even if you did not agree...a bit like appositive is... but not press the report button every 2 seconds.

for the sake of numbers, aven sold out to the snowflakes and ruined a great forum..in kevin Costner terms...build it and they will come

As to social media, I stay well away from it as it is the tool of the snowflakes and generation "entitled"

March meet sounds good ..I won't appear on the vid as my honesty on asexuality and the asexual movement may have some reaching for the report button and they will blame everyone as there might not be one :lol: