Would you go to a lgbt pride event for asexuality

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
PiF
Apositive Star

Would you go to a lgbt pride event for asexuality

Postby PiF » 07 Apr 2015, 02:12

Between Apositive and Aven it's claimed their are over 69,000 members and meets avaliable pretty much at the main capitals and big cities where the users predominantly are.

But, turn out at real life meets can often be counted on one hand...then when you look at avens entry into pride marches they again are possibly two hands but not much more.

So, have you ever attended an asexual meet if you did , why? or if not why not?....and more so have you ever attended an asexual group that is on one of the pride marches and if so why? and if not why not?

What I'm trying to find out is wether real live versus internet..... and wether asexuality is an internet thing only for the mass numbers of membership and also the reasons why you would go and the reasons why you would not?

♥ Steph ♥

Re: Would you go to a lgbt pride event for asexuality

Postby ♥ Steph ♥ » 07 Apr 2015, 05:03

The Asexual Community is Toronto is extremely powerful. I could list all the achievements that have occurred here regarding Asexuality in the previous two years. It was quite the boom.

- Asexual is now included in the yearly Pride March(http://www.pridetoronto.com/)
- There is a dominate Asexuality Group called "Ace Toronto/ Asexual Outreach"
- There are Asexual Foundations in at least 4 Universities
- There are at minimum 3 LGBT Groups that have Asexual Foundations.
- There is a yearly asexuality conference, hosted by Asexuality Toronto, which new stems 2 days.

Finally, there are Asexuality Workshops in schools around Toronto.

Asexuality is in boom here ;)

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 07 Apr 2015, 06:29

So did you go Steph? and if I can....on that pride Toronto link...go in and the section that is "friends of pride" ..I saw Ho's Team...does it have a different meaning in Canada or is that a persons name ? :D

♥ Steph ♥

Postby ♥ Steph ♥ » 07 Apr 2015, 07:20

Yes, I've been to Pride, spoke on Panel at the Conference Last year (A funny story, involving Michael and me being at the wrong place at the right time). Everyone is welcome as its a week long event that involves the entire downtown core. As for the March, I guess you would have to get into one of the groups? I know that last year Asexuality had two representing groups. AVEN and Asexuality Toronto (I believe?).

As for the workshops/ foundations, I only spoke the ones I started/ have participated in. I monitor one University and one College, plus three out of the four queer groups I know about. School workshops however have slowed as of recent, but my partner has done a media interview recently so there's that. In general, asexual has a nice physical hold in Toronto beyond have I've contributed to. It would be unwise not to capitalize on this surge!

As for "Ho's Team" I have absolutely no idea what that is.

Ciri
Mega Member

Postby Ciri » 07 Apr 2015, 10:24

Hey pif.

I'm going to ask your own questions right back at you.

I go to meets because I have no friends.

I appreciate the work that went into WP15 but once the SJWs started holding the organizers by the balls, it became the biggest farce ever.
You're all dead and I'm your eternal punishment.

♥ Steph ♥

Postby ♥ Steph ♥ » 07 Apr 2015, 10:32

Ciri wrote:I appreciate the work that went into WP15 but once the SJWs started holding the organizers by the balls, it became the biggest farce ever.

*Whistles*

I learned that after-the-fact... rather ashamed of myself for that previous association.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 07 Apr 2015, 10:39

It reflects asexuality at the momment we seem to be more worried about monorities that are sexual lite than full phat asexuals and asexuality

I have gone to meets also because I have no friends but also to take the piss out of michaels fuzzy face

sjws are just people on the internet who will probably die in a room full of cats in their old age.

♥ Steph ♥

Postby ♥ Steph ♥ » 07 Apr 2015, 11:12

PiF wrote: sjws are just people on the internet who will probably die in a room full of cats in their old age.

Just wait until the day you come face to face with one in the flesh. It is uncomfortable as hell and... *shivers*

Ciri
Mega Member

Postby Ciri » 07 Apr 2015, 11:16

♥ Steph ♥ wrote:
PiF wrote: sjws are just people on the internet who will probably die in a room full of cats in their old age.

Just wait until the day you come face to face with one in the flesh. It is uncomfortable as hell and... *shivers*

I am part of nearly every group they 'fight' for and I would still have taken bets on how long it would have taken me to punch somebody. The mild ones are fine, I can see their point...but the others are just deplorable.
You're all dead and I'm your eternal punishment.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 07 Apr 2015, 11:40

SJW's ....for when making sense doesn't matter

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ce+warrior

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 29 Sep 2015, 08:00

Just idea on this and you pride lovers might know

was there ever t shirts worn declaring something like ....This Asexual gives free hugs?

CatBunny
Established Member

Postby CatBunny » 28 Oct 2015, 14:11

I went to some meets, but got tired of it. I could not relate to any of the people there. I don't know how to describe it but they just weren't for me. Maybe I find it hard to make friends or maybe they came across as a little snobby or its just me, have no idea.

I did go to a pride parade in NY and I guess it was fun marching. but god there was no fucks given. Woman were topless, people smoking weed out in public (my clothes stank of it and my mom went apeshit), there were tons of kids who had to see people in weird sex costumes and people kept hitting on us and it was very uncomfortable. So much for an event about lgbt awareness. Maybe smaller parades are more modest.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 28 Oct 2015, 21:34

As for the meets.....some find them difficult but I feel that is mostly because behind a screen many gain a confidence they do not have in the real world so when real life meet happens, often people are different...who would have thought I am a kind, quite and softly spoken man? Still an arse though :D

The lgbt...I've never had a problem with them...I have always had a big problem with us being pushed into being part of the franchise

Mostly because I have yet to meet a a more sexual body than the lgbt and many marches are like a meat market .... than a meet market...if anything the total opposite of what we are

It would be like being an atheist then trying to promote that at your local church on a sunday

The association whilst increasing visibility for asexuality...is a damaging and dangerous one for us

People should go if they want of course, but as a group that wants to be believed..the lgbt franchising is providing the doubt some would use against us and is ruining our genuine desire to make sure our first impression is the right one

CatBunny
Established Member

Postby CatBunny » 29 Oct 2015, 07:51

My friends are LGBT and they all pretty much agreed that exhibitionism in pride parades is appalling. It just ruins awareness. None of them find the over sexualization in LGBT community helpful. I probably couldn't agree more. I don't think this is solely an asexual thing, it's a serious problem overall in the community. It's society's idea that LGBT people are more sexual than straight people and they have to show it. Or the idea you have to prove yourself to be LGBT. Your sexuality is only who you are as a person and nothing else. That's what I get from this .-.

Skycaptain

Postby Skycaptain » 29 Oct 2015, 10:21

I have attended pride events for asexual awareness, and will do so again.

I will agree with PiF and CatBunny though, some of the behaviour I felt uncomfortable about. Let's just say that having a 8' banner with asexual on it was a welcome defence.
But as part of the minority who identify as other than cis-hetero to me it's the only way we can increase awareness. After all there is no cis-hetero pride we can join up with, is there? Needs do as needs must, but don't bend down and pick a coin off the floor

Return to “Community & Public Visibility”