I'm making a portraits collab for AAW and want your help!

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
Aslan

I'm making a portraits collab for AAW and want your help!

Postby Aslan » 04 Oct 2015, 07:46

EDIT: The video is now out and can be viewed HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al39jqMeb5M. Thanks to everyone who got involved and supported this project.

Asexual Awareness Week is coming up and I’d like to put together a portrait collaboration project featuring asexual-spectrum people posing and expressing themselves how they see fit and then take a memorable quote from them (about their asexuality or their experiences with it in life) and display it over their portrait. The end result is that all of these short video clips of people will be combined into one large video, which will be hosted on the Portraits Collaboration Youtube channel.

But, I will need your help.

In order to get these quotes, I’ve provided a set of open-ended interview-style questions for you to answer. If you are going to participate in this project, please choose at least two of the ten questions to answer. If you want to answer more or all of them, go for it! These questions are meant to be free-form, so it’s up to you how you want to interpret and answer them.

If this project sounds like something you want to participate in, here’s what you need to do:

1. Send an email to portraitscollab@gmail.com with “Asexual Portraits Collab” as the subject and let me know which questions from the google doc you want to answer. Remember to choose at least two. This is just to get a general idea of who’s going to answer which question(s).

2. FIlm your video! For more detailed instructions and tips on what I’m looking for, scroll down for the link to the instructional video below.

3. Answer at least two of the interview questions, which are listed above and in this form. I will then take a quote from your answers and edit If the questions you wish to answer are different from the ones you said you would answer in your email, please let me know as soon as possible, either through email or by messaging me on here.

4. Submit your video clip and answers here, and I’ll take care of the rest!

Submissions for videos and answers closes on October 17, 2015 at 9:00 AM PST, so make sure to send in your video portraits and answers by then.

LINK TO INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO

Once again, remember to send in your submissions here: https://goo.gl/LIU7m5.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at portraitscollab@gmail.com or message me on here. Thank you!

flergalwit
Mega Member

Re: I'm making a portraits collab for AAW and want your help!

Postby flergalwit » 04 Oct 2015, 07:50

I''d like to recommend everyone gets involved with this: it should be a really good project.

Aslan

Postby Aslan » 05 Oct 2015, 15:55

Thanks flergalwit. I would like to get those of you here on Apositive to participate if any of you want. I feel like this forum skews older than many of the other online communities and I've always wanted to see more representation of older asexuals (age 30+).

Also, to give everyone a better example of what I'm looking for, it's like a combination of the Humans of New York photoblog with the Portrait of Lotte video. The former is a project where a street photographer goes around New York City taking pictures of people (he doesn't always take pictures of people's faces, so if you are uncomfortable showing your face, you can still find a way to have a portrait) and then talking with them for a bit. Then, he uploads the photos onto his blog, takes a memorable quote from their conversations and displays it underneath their photos. The latter is a timelapse video where an artist films his daughter for 15 seconds every week.

So this project is essentially combining the video portrait part from Portrait of Lotte and the interview/quotes element from Humans of New York, but with asexual-spectrum people.

Aslan

Postby Aslan » 20 Oct 2015, 07:57

The video project is now out and can be viewed HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al39jqMeb5M!

Thanks to everyone who got involved and made this happen. Helming this project was quite an experience and I hope the end product does the asexual community justice.

Skycaptain

Postby Skycaptain » 20 Oct 2015, 08:11

Sorry I couldn't get involved, but circumstances....

That's a very well created, powerful presentation. Well done to yourself for creating this and everyone else who has contributed

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 22 Oct 2015, 03:55

I'm sorry there was not enough older volunteers to show more of a wider age group. I'm still saddened to see people still confuse being a virgin or not liking sex with being an asexual. So not a bad effort and certainly not the worst I've seen.

Aslan

Postby Aslan » 22 Oct 2015, 11:00

Skycaptain wrote:Sorry I couldn't get involved, but circumstances....

That's a very well created, powerful presentation. Well done to yourself for creating this and everyone else who has contributed

Thanks Skycaptain!

I am planning on doing a follow-up of some sort, so if you are interested in participating in some way, I'll keep you updated! On a sidenote: this project was also featured on The Huffington Post!

PiF wrote:I'm sorry there was not enough older volunteers to show more of a wider age group. I'm still saddened to see people still confuse being a virgin or not liking sex with being an asexual. So not a bad effort and certainly not the worst I've seen.

Glad to know you didn't think it was a bad effort, PiF! Yeah, I got a few people confuse asexuality with being a virgin and not liking sex in some of the comments, but that's to be expected in any vis/ed project. I would have really liked to show more older asexuals in the video, but with media projects like this, it's mostly young people and females who are willing to participate. It's funny because I personally know more older asexuals and male asexuals than are represented in the video. If you have any ideas yourself for how to reach out to older asexuals, I'd love to hear it.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 24 Oct 2015, 09:57

Reaching older asexuals may always be somewhat problematic.
There are a lot of reasons, and it would be a VERY long post, but the condensed version IMO is that older people who grew up before the internet had to solve their own identity problems with little or no help from others, especially if their identity was as rare as asexuality.

Never underestimate the human capacity for self-deception as well as the prevailing social pressure to conform. (That much hasn't changed.) I suspect, just based on personal experience and talking with other from my generation, that most of the older asexuals learned to adapt to the demands of the sexual world without too many misgivings, and that they have no desire to identify as anything other than perfectly normal.
Keep in mind, the prevailing notion of female sexuality used to be that "good" women weren't terribly interested in sex for its own sake, but were still happy to do whatever their husbands wished. In that social climate, female asexuality would have been completely invisible, not only to others but to the woman herself.

Male sexuality was allowed and expected to be more assertive, but it wasn't characterized as "always horny, all the time" in the same way that it seems to be today. Men who were less sexually demanding could even be seen as morally superior in some cases, depending on their behavior in other aspects of their lives.

I know that those behaviors were stereotypes rather than realities, but the thing about prevailing stereotypes is that they can be used as a smokescreen to hide those who don't wish to draw attention to themselves. All they have to do is act the act, and if they do it for long enough it starts to feel like reality.

(And now I'm thinking about organized religion for some reason . . . . )
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Aslan

Postby Aslan » 25 Oct 2015, 07:09

Thanks! Those are interesting points and I agree with some of it too.

Even though I think research on that demographic of asexuals would be nice, I'm not a researcher. I'm more focused on how to reach out to older self-identified asexuals (i.e. older asexuals who acknowledge that they're asexual) and how to get them to participate in vis/ed media opportunities. I'm interested in knowing, for example: Are they less likely to want to participate in media requests or vis/ed projects than younger people? Probably. And why is that? What are the drawbacks for them to participate? What are the benefits?

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 25 Oct 2015, 07:55

Just my own perspective

I think most of the "angst, who am I ?" internet sites are by teens...By the time you get to your late 30's most people realise they have wasted 10-20 years worrying about something they had very little control over anyway..also that younger group have little responsibility and most are at uni

as a result most once they get to late 30's have a job, mortgage/rent..partner, car, credit cards, kids..and as such that might explain the sharp drop off of people identifying on the internet as asexual past the age or 26

In the scheme of things most oldies put forums/internet into a perspective you simply do not as "da yoof"

For me , everyone irl close to me knows, including workmates, friends, family , child, parent etc and so anyone else isn't high on my list to appease

Some may have noticed after about 40, you seem to have a huge weight lifted off your shoulders where you simply do not care what others think anymore and enjoy a freedom you do not have as a teen

Plus the current over 40's and certianly older ..never grew up with the internet as a kid/teen so internet campaigns rarely are high on the priority list

I have reasons not to be public but even if I had not..I still doubt if I could be arsed with internet visibility as I have too much rl going on :D

There are some pushing for visibility like this collaberation and that is to be commended

Return to “Community & Public Visibility”