Escalation!

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
ily

Escalation!

Postby ily » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:19 am

In January, I achieved my long-time goal of getting 10 people to attend a San Francisco meetup (yay! :D ) Now, I want to escalate my efforts, but I don't know what my next goal should be. I mean, 10 people feels like a good number to have at a meetup. We're planning on marching in the pride parade, but I wonder if that's too ambitious...Anyone have ideas to build our local community without scaring people?

Karl
Administrator

Re: Escalation!

Postby Karl » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:06 pm

You should totally march in the Pride parade - I'd love to see photos or video of a gang of asexuals flaunting their non-sexuality all over the streets. If there's only 10 people so far then you need to beef up the display with flamboyant costumes or a massive display of some kind. You could all dress up as giant 'A's. ;)

ily

Postby ily » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Thanks, I have thought about something like that, although it raises the question of how we'd afford such a massive display...(and someone had better have papier mache skillz... ;) )

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:20 pm

You can do a great deal with regular old cardboard and paint, too. Yeah, you should build a giant 'A' and carry it around between you.

pretzelboy

Postby pretzelboy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:19 pm

In one episode of Pinky and The Brain, The Brain's plan to take over the world involved creating an alternate Earth right next to the real Earth. He dubbed it Chia Earth. They would then lure the inhabitants of the real Earth onto Chia Earth, thereby allowing The Brain to take over the (now unpopulated) world. In order to thus lure them, The Brain made use of the most powerful attractive force in the universe.

Free T-shirts.

wintermute
Established Member

Postby wintermute » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:32 am

I remember that one.

Depends how many tshirts you can print up cheaply I guess. Is there a local college or something that would let you use their screen printing stuff to hand-print single colour tshirts? screen printing is desperately easy to do and would look neat
Cicero wrote:"Neither can embellishments of language be found without arrangement and expression of thoughts, nor can thoughts be made to shine without the light of language"

ily

Postby ily » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:43 am

That's funny, I always thought it was free pizza and/or free beer. I've done free beer before at a meetup (really, but considering a lot of asexuals seem to not drink, that may not work for us too well), so I guess only pizza and t-shirts remain! I did screen-print a card once, and it's not THAT easy (depending on the design), but it could be a fun project.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:22 pm

First off, a late congrats on your 10 person meetup.

Second, myself and approximately 66% of the asexuals I regularly hang out with would be far more attracted to the prospect of free beer than pizza and tshirts. That figure would be raised to 100% if daiquiris were thrown in.

As for tshirts, I have some experience with dealing with local college tshirt vendors. There tend to be quite a few in college towns since clubs tend to like to buy tshirts. Our order of 20 3 color shirts ended up costing $25 per shirt. Prices per shirt drop rapidly as order size increases, and as color quantity drops.

Aside from that, I can't offer any advice on increasing you meetup size, but best of luck to you.

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Tshirts. You could always just buy some cheap plain ones and a pack of iron-on transfer printer paper instead. That would probably work out a lot cheaper than $25 a shirt.

ily

Postby ily » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:57 am

Thanks Dargon! Guess I should learn how to make daquiris...I think one problem with booze as a draw is that some people drive to the meetups. Although for those of us that don't, bring it on! :halo:
And there's always my "famous" homemade "Anthony Bogaert is my Homeboy" and "The A Team" shirts...they're only a purple fabric pen away. ;)

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:56 am

It's funny, I've been talking about alcohol with a lot of different online communities lately. All the people I hang out with who drink are familiar with their limit, and know how to plan accordingly.

As for the idea of iron-ons, they come in clear and white. The problem with the clear is they must be done on light colored shirts or in dark colors. Also, on non-white shirts, the clear areas tend to leave a noticeable discoloration.

The white ones work on dark shirts and in multiple colors, but must be cut to shape. Also, those ones don't breathe well.

However, both are very inexpensive.

(random aside, home printed decals have the same color issues as iron-on transfers, but there are other workarounds).