Zines!

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
ghosts

Zines!

Postby ghosts » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:16 am

So, I'm pretty sure everyone here is from AVEN anyway, right? But yeah, I finally finished that zine about asexuality I've occasionally mentioned, which is written entirely by AVENites (& technically, some people from apositive). Check it out here, where you can read about it or buy a copy: http://weirdterrain.org/

But I'm starting to look for submissions for the next issue. I think having things written by asexuals in actual print format is really important. Not that this zine will be read by millions or even thousands of people, ha ha, but I'd like to try & encourage more things to happen off of the internet, & this is just one small effort to help make that happen. If anyone's interested in contributing something, let me know! I'm trying to get submissions for the second issue in by April 25th.

Dargon
Mega Member

Re: Zines!

Postby Dargon » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:10 pm

I'll likely be ordering a copy, and based on the content I may or may not want to contribute. If I do, would it be a problem for ex-AVENites to contribute?

ghosts

Postby ghosts » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:55 pm

YES, IT IS A PROBLEM.

But seriously, anyone can contribute - this isn't an AVEN zine, it just so happens that that community is a very good source for getting material for the zine. ;)

Even if you're not crazy about the content, I hope you'll contribute anyway. Chances are, I won't publish anything that I find pretty offensive (not that I'm expecting that from you), but this is a zine made entirely of submissions - so if you want to see it get better or see something different in it, don't be afraid to send me something!

clouded_perception

Postby clouded_perception » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:49 pm

I have a question.

Exactly what sort of articles are you looking for? Scientific stuff? Personal accounts of people realising they're asexual? Or do you have a variety of asexuality-related stuff?

Do you have a preferred article length?

I ask because I occasionally write things that relate to asexuality in some way, and if you need more stuff I might be able to come up with something, but I need a framework. For instance, would something like this:

http://nndaia.livejournal.com/2967.html

do, or would it need to be more formal, longer, or relating to asexuality?

ghosts

Postby ghosts » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:58 am

Something like that would be fine! I'm not looking for any particular kinds of articles - I guess generally, I'd shoot for something more informal, but I know some people have a hard time getting out of writing academically/scholarly. I guess so long as it's not like a scholarly journal-type article, it should be ok. But I'm open. And *what* you write about is pretty open, too. If you have a particular subject in mind, go for it!

As for length - no preferred lengths, either, but I just checked the word counts of some of the articles in the first issue. The lengths vary, which is cool (visually/layout-wise, it spices things up, I think). The shortest articles/columns were about 630-640 words in length, & the largest one was 3401 words. I'd prefer not to have that many longer articles, but regardless, a length like that is ok. Some of the others typically fell between 1000-2000 words (one article was around 2160 words, for example, another was 1182 words). Soooooooo, yeah - I guess in general, between 600-3000 words is good, but again, I'm open to whatever.

Puppy

Postby Puppy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:51 am

Out of curiosity (and because of my bad memory): Did my writings end up in this zine?
Me (Nalle in AVEN, Laura Nalle-Vos back then ;)) and Hay decided not to publish some stuff after breaking up, but don't remember what was the case with this one.
It takes a fool to remain sane.

ghosts

Postby ghosts » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:56 pm

Oh yes! I hope you don't mind - your poem was published. I never received a "no" from Hayley, so I assumed it was ok.

ily

Postby ily » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:11 am

I got the zine in the mail yesterday, and I just want to say that it looks FANTASTIC! The design is so professional. I think the mission of getting more things out into the paper world is a great one.

I was psyched to see my poem in print. (It's funny, I don't remember now why I used my nom de plume for it...although if you know the streets of San Francisco you'll know who I am ;) ) I'll definitely submit something to the next issue!

Everybody order one!

ghosts

Postby ghosts » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:59 am

Glad you like it! A friend of mine did the vast majority of the designing - he's really talented at that sort of stuff, so I always throw design stuff at him. ;) But I've been learning how to use quark & stuff as we've gone along, so I'm starting to get the hang of it & will hopefully be able to take some of the pressure off of him.

I was actually thinking of asking you to write something for this next issue, because I was thinking of having an article about the Pride parade - but I'm hoping to have that issue out by the end of May or so, so maybe we should just have a follow-up about the parade for the summer issue (which would probably come out in... August, I think). Or, maybe we could just have a short "this is coming up soon, check it out!" news piece about the upcoming parade in the spring issue, & then the follow-up in the summer issue? Hmm... Either way, feel free to write whatever you like - a think on the parade, or a completely different topic.

ily

Postby ily » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:55 pm

It's funny, I'm actually writing something as we speak. I'm bored at work, had an idea and thought I'd run with it while it was in my head. Yeah, the parade's at the end of June, so I could definitely write a report for the summer issue. There could be photos! ;) I'm not sure what I'll say before that, besides the fact that we're doing it and the logistic/planning stuff, which may not be too relevant to people who aren't coming. But there could be a way to fit it in with whatever I write-- have you thought about including one-scentence bios of the contributors? In that case, mine could be something about how I'm currently planning the asexuals n' allies contingent for the SF Pride Parade in June (or something). Teaser! :shhh:

ghosts

Postby ghosts » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:06 pm

I was thinking about the possibility of a news/upcoming events section, but I'm not sure how relevant that would be for what's intended to be a quarterly publication. So maybe just a report after it happens would be best, but... I dunno, we'll see. Maybe it's something to think about down the road.

As for the 1-sentence bios, that's something that I had wanted to do, but I didn't have that much info - I did that for DJ's article at the end of it, if you take a look, just to basically link to his blog. I'm not sure what I'd add for most other people, though. But something like what you've mentioned is something I could definitely add for you.

ily

Postby ily » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:24 pm

If you want to include them, you could always ask people to write a 1-scentence bio and submit it with their writing. I've seen other publications do that.

Puppy

Postby Puppy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:28 pm

ghosts wrote:Oh yes! I hope you don't mind - your poem was published. I never received a "no" from Hayley, so I assumed it was ok.

No, I don't mind. Just didn't remember how things ended up in the middle of all the hassle. Nice to hear the poem made its way to a real zine. :D

ghosts

Postby ghosts » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:39 pm

Ah, good! As a contributor, by the way, you get a free copy of the zine. ;) So feel free to pm me with an address to send it to if you'd like.
If you want to include them, you could always ask people to write a 1-scentence bio and submit it with their writing. I've seen other publications do that.

Yup! That might be something I can do - thanks for the suggestion.

Puppy

Postby Puppy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:46 pm

Yay for getting my own copy. *goes to PM*

pretzelboy

Postby pretzelboy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:39 am

Having gotten my copy in the mail, I'm very impressed with the zine. The design looks professional, the pictures accompanying the articles are great, and one thing that really stood out to me is the quality of writing. Obviously, the most important thing is the content itself, and the articles are just plain good writing. I look forward to seeing more in the future!

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:37 am

Got my copy today, very nice looking zine. I have not read all of it thus far, just the intro and first article, but I am already very impressed. I'm looking forward to future issues and perhaps even contributing myself. Perhaps I'll speak more once I've finished reading it.

ghosts

Postby ghosts » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:57 am

Glad you guys like it so far! Dargon, it'd be great if you'd want to contribute. :)

Hopefully I'll be able to release these in a timely manner from now on. Now that I've got a rough template because of the 1st issue, it'll probably be easier. Goal is to have the next one out by the end of May right now.

Puppy

Postby Puppy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:57 am

Got my copy on Friday. Thanks ghosts! :D :D
It looks good. Haven't go time to read it yet. I'll post more after reading.

ghosts

Postby ghosts » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:05 pm

Vunderful. I hope you'll enjoy it!

ghosts

Postby ghosts » Fri May 15, 2009 6:58 am

Updates!

Hopefully the second issue will be out by the end of May or early June. Meanwhile, I'm collecting submissions for the 3rd issue, & these are due by June 30th. Please think about submitting something! I need your help for this thing to keep going.