San Francisco Pride Parade, June 27th

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
ily

San Francisco Pride Parade, June 27th

Postby ily » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:45 pm

In the chance that there are some local people here who aren't on AVEN*...

San Francisco Pride Parade! June 27th. Asexuals are taking part for the second year. We're also going to be having a pre-party in San Francisco on Saturday. For more information, feel free to post here or message me.

Here's the thread that will be updated with timely information:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?showtopic=49264

Also, you can give me your e-mail address if you want me to e-mail you with updates.

*Of course, non-local people are most welcome, if you want to make the journey!

Jicragg
Established Member

Re: San Francisco Pride Parade, June 27th

Postby Jicragg » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:00 pm

I wish you much luck. I saw the video from the one of last year and it looked really good. We're doing one for the London Pride but there hasn't been as much as interest. :wah: It's rather annoying I must admit. People want more visibility, people go to the London Meet-ups but when Pride comes along they are silent about it. I'm not organising it but it is aggrevating. Alas.

I saw you had a banner, where did you get it?

ily

Postby ily » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks! That's too bad there hasn't been much interest. Last year, I wanted to get 50 people (yeah, I know ;) ) and we only had something like 23, but I think our presence was more important than our numbers. As for the banner, we were lucky to have a good sewer who'd been coming to meetups, she volunteered to make it. :D

I hope you guys post some pictures from London pride! I was in London in 2005 and have wanted to go back ever since, so hopefully I'll experience one of those famous meetups for myself one day. :dance:

Jicragg
Established Member

Postby Jicragg » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:44 pm

The meet ups are grand. It'll be great to meet you because I swear you're the most talked about person on AVEN. We're aiming for double digits...

It's very well made. I'm having to make the banner myself. I shall have to steal her design because I can't think of anything better.

ily

Postby ily » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:49 pm

Jicragg wrote:It'll be great to meet you because I swear you're the most talked about person on AVEN.

Really?!?! :O I'm not sure I want to know what everyone is saying about me ;) but wow... <3

Jicragg
Established Member

Postby Jicragg » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:59 am

All good I swear. Perhaps I read your blog too much or I spend too much time in the chat.

I'll take my camera and probably make a YouTube video like you all did for the SF one though it's not a video-camera.

disjointed

Postby disjointed » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:44 am

Jicragg wrote:I wish you much luck. I saw the video from the one of last year and it looked really good. We're doing one for the London Pride but there hasn't been as much as interest. :wah: It's rather annoying I must admit. People want more visibility, people go to the London Meet-ups but when Pride comes along they are silent about it. I'm not organising it but it is aggrevating. Alas.

obviously both these marches have taken place but I've only just seen the thread

Ji..truth is asexuality will always have a low turn out

ignoring the 1% part of it..we also have more registering that will turn out not to be asexual after 3 months on any site..we also have more and more members as you have said..that whilst claiming to be asexual..hide it like the last sandwhich at a weight watchers meet

and the most obvious of all..pride is largely associated with gay pride and most asexuals appear to be hetro

also some still are not happy with the lgbt association..like myself...and also feel there is no association with a sexual group to us as asexuals

that said ..during my 18 months travelling around the states..san francisco was the only american place I could see myself living there and if I was there I would go along for the event and a day out rather than the gayness of it all

Jicragg
Established Member

Postby Jicragg » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:22 pm

Pride marches aren't gay prides - or they're not supposed to be. When I went last year with a lesbian friend who volunteered with an LGBT organisation, I was told by the organisor, after I said I was nervous because I'm not LGBorT he it's not a matter of 'I'm ____' it's just being proud of you. Straight non-trans people march in it.

I understand people who hide the whole asexual thing and I am happy some did come. It wasn't an appaling turnout but it's not like we're going to be on the news and the family will find out and be disowned. Admittedly I have rather relaxed parents so I don't have worries other people have.

Of course not everybody wants asexuality to be with the LGBT which I understand. We don't organise as a whole so some do and some don't. I'm not too bothered either way. I merely thought that a Pride march would be one of the best places to get visibility which is important to me. Those who do want to be with the LGBT can do their thing and those who don't do theirs. I don't think we need to join them but we could use some of their... resources. A bit like being sort of in the EU. You're in it but you don't have the currency or the some of the other stuff you don't like. You're only in for the slight assistance. When they push for educational recognisation, like at schools they need to teach the social aspect of it, we can also be a part of that.

I wouldn't live in America. Helsinki is relaxed but their Pride got attacked... which is strange because it's not highly religious at all and it's not a place where you would think that sort of thing would happen.

Roy

Postby Roy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:15 am

Was it a religion-fueled attack, or just a general hatred thing? Very little, if any, hatred towards homosexuality comes from religion, mostly it's just people finding it icky. I can imagine a group of skinheads or something having issue with a pride march.

fridayoak

Postby fridayoak » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:15 am

I went to the London pride 2 years ago, I must admit I didn't particularly enjoy it. There was lots of noise and people dancing, was ok for a bit but started to grate on me after an hour or so. Can't see me wanting to go again, but didn't notice any hostility at all. There was a guy with an ace t-shirt and he got mostly positive responses, along with a lot of confused faces.

I don't feel "gay" or "queer" just cos I'm asexual. I'm hetro-romantic and so associating with homosexuals seems ridiculous for me personally, but I don't mind if asexual people join in the marches and stuff, as long as it's obvious that we have our own identity first and foremost.

Paul2

Postby Paul2 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:20 pm

I like to go to the Amsterdam Gay Pride, which is more about celebrating freedom and diversity and less a demonstration for equal rights etc (in the Netherlands that's on a different occasion). This Pride therefore attracts lots of openminded straight people, and therefore has a very relaxt atmosphere. However I never saw anything related to asexuality....