Kayleigh @ Murdoch University

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
GalileoAce

Kayleigh @ Murdoch University

Postby GalileoAce » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:35 pm

(cross posted on AVEN)

Last week I attended a training session at my Uni's main campus. It was for people who were interested in queer issues and might want to be an Ally on campus. Part of the Ally network program run by my Uni and many other Uni the world over (apparently).

The discussions during the training were good, but were the usual queer issues, no mention of asexuality, small mention of trans issues, and no mention of gender diversity outside the binary. I made sure that those issues were raised, especially asexuality.

In fact, my aim in doing this Ally training is to be someone on campus that is publicly asexual, someone people can go to if they have issues, questions or queries.

I'm also hoping to connect with the queer community on campus, but that'll probably be a 'next year thing', as I'm in a regional campus for this semester.

So yeah, that's my little effort toward visibility and education :)
- Kayleigh
~~otherwise known as Saeihr or KayleeSaeihr~~

KAGU143
Administrator

Re: Kayleigh @ Murdoch University

Postby KAGU143 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:21 am

That is awesome, Kayleigh! Two thumbs up! :thumb: :thumb:
(The thumbs are connected to hands which just happen to be holding your favorite snacks and/or drinks, so I'll try not to drop them. Enjoy!)

(I wonder if I would have been brave enough to do that kind of visibility if I had known about the existence of any other asexuals when I was still in school?
I dunno ... even thinking about it makes me nervous.)
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

GalileoAce

Re: Kayleigh @ Murdoch University

Postby GalileoAce » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:31 am

I'm hoping to connect with the Asexual Awareness Australian (run by SpirallingSnowy and Parth from AVEN) to provide materials and what not. I'm not going to do much active stuff this year, but next year I will be.
- Kayleigh
~~otherwise known as Saeihr or KayleeSaeihr~~