Why do I get the feeling this is a bad idea?

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
SlightlyMetaphysical

Re: Why do I get the feeling this is a bad idea?

Postby SlightlyMetaphysical » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:58 am

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Haahahahahaha. Hah-hah.

That was my first reaction to the initial post, and it was going to be my entire post, but Siggy was the voice of sense (as he so often is)

[quote="Siggy"]If I may make a more explicit argument against the mascot, coming from someone who likes the flag...

If you just create symbols as "a bit of fun", I contend that you are not taking symbols seriously enough. If we just create a new symbol every few months as "a bit of fun", you are in effect, attacking the symbols we already have, including the flag. To have powerful symbols, we need to create new ones sparingly.
quote]

It's a point that needs restating. Asexuality is so tiny that MOST PEOPLE HAVEN'T HEARD OF IT. That's how unrecognised we are. If we create a few symbols, those symbols have the power to be strong, to be associated with everything we do, to gradually come to mean something to the man in the street (or at least to the man in the queer substreet). If we create loads of symbols, it ADDS to our invisibility, the symbols desymbolise themselves through not having a strong enough relationship with asexuality.

What do we have? Triangle, flag, ring? Cake (as a 'fun' unofficial symbol)? Aces, amoebas? We have the potential to make a couple of them really strong. No more, please.

EDIT: Have tracked down thread, is much more sensible and less wild than the flags were. I withdraw my criticism, but retain my skepticism.

Sally

Postby Sally » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:23 pm

I'd never seen the flag before I checked it after reading Puppy's post. Oooooo. The flag seen without explanation makes no sense. Not exactly a visibility symbol.

Joe of Loath

Postby Joe of Loath » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:56 am

Sally wrote:I'd never seen the flag before I checked it after reading Puppy's post. Oooooo. The flag seen without explanation makes no sense. Not exactly a visibility symbol.

Yeah, but think about the 'Gay pride' flag; the rainbow. Without explanation it makes no sense, but the LGBT movement has managed to implant its meaning into popular culture, so now virtually everyone knows what the rainbow flag means.

disjointed

Postby disjointed » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:50 am

I'm not sure if we are allowed to paste links or on my usual elequent english but her goes

http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php? ... -for-aven/

I'm now toying with the idea of having an aven gimp mask...a goer?