AVENues

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
Jicragg
Established Member

AVENues

Postby Jicragg » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:54 am

Guess what's back? Ellie/Arielle has knuckled down and got the October issue of AVENues out.

This was her post in AVEN:

The cover and content of the October issue
Since I am having issues uploading it to the site for now, AVENues is temporarily being hosted on Google Documents.

Here are the download links!

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B0LQ-iZkb5-EMzk2YjQzMGYtMGY0YS00YTc5LTkyY2EtMTg4MjVhZjMwYzBl&export=download&hl=en High Quality (Good for best viewing and printing)

https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B0LQ-iZkb5-ENThmZDc2ZjItODVkMy00NzdmLThiODMtNzY1MDRkZDU1YjRm Low Quality (Good for slow computers)

This thread is for discussing the issue, and what you think of it.

Some submissions I got I wasn't able to put in this issue, so if you do not see yours and I told you it was going in, it will definitely be in the December issue.

If you want to submit a letter to the editor, meetup photos, etc, please do so at:

avenues.submissions@gmail.com

I do want photos; I would love for the next issue's cover to be a photo of some sort. Make sure they are as big as possible.

Note: Under Joe's cake I forgot to put that it was done by Herr Joseph. Sorry!

KAGU143
Administrator

Re: AVENues

Postby KAGU143 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:28 am

This is awesome news!
I can't wait to go read it.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

disjointed

Postby disjointed » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:17 am

I wonder if as many new members read the tos as avenues?

avenues is very hit and miss and poorly advertised and as hit and miss as pieces of ace....although the potential is there

Jicragg
Established Member

Postby Jicragg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:00 pm

Huzzah. New issue is out.

AVENues - January/February Issue

Download links:

High Quality (Good for best viewing and printing)

Regular Quality (Good for slow computers)

I am starting to get the hang of this, and the next issue will be March/April and it will be out on time.

This thread is for discussing the issue, and what you think of it.

Some submissions I got I wasn't able to put in this issue, so if you do not see yours and I told you it was going in, it will definitely be in the next issue.

If you want to submit:

newsletter@asexuality.org

PLEASE include in your e-mail:
* Name (or name you want under your submission)
* AVEN name (if applicable)
* Title of the piece
* The file or link to the file (make sure the size, if an image, is big)

Michael Smoker
Established Member

Postby Michael Smoker » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:03 pm

I read the magazine and it's self-serving on AVEN's part. It does not exist to help asexuals. It exists to glorify AVEN. Why Nancy permits this spam to be posted on her forum, I have no idea.

Michael

Siggy

Postby Siggy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Michael,
The criticism you just wrote does not exist to help the AVENues editors. It just exists to slam them. Why you cannot give any useful criticism, I have no idea.

I thought this issue was very heavy on fiction. Is it a new direction, or are those just the kinds of things that got submitted? TBH the fiction doesn't really interest me, but I suppose it's a valid direction that many people would like.

Michael Smoker
Established Member

Postby Michael Smoker » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Siggy,

This isn't AVEN, so the little cozy cabal that controls AVEN has no power here. The editors of that self-serving rag might _want_ to be helped, but they're not entitled to _demand_ it on this forum. And neither are you. In fact, no matter what your status on AVEN might be, officially or unofficially, here you are just an ordinary member no different from me. Sorry if that disappoints you.

Michael

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:21 pm

WHOA! Easy there, folks!
AVENues is just a newsletter made by volunteers who are essentially working with whatever material a bunch of other volunteers decide to contribute. It isn't a professional magazine and I don't think it claims to represent all asexuals. (Although I haven't read this latest issue yet.)

I have no dislike for AVEN and I want to continue to support them however I can, so I welcome any updates about AVENues and Hot Pieces of Ace, etc. Since DJ doesn't seem to be interested in anything other than the publicity that he can get from AVEN, I have made it my private mission to join as many asexual sites as will have me, just to offer a show of solidarity. I encourage all of the other admins from the other asexual sites to do the same because I believe that it's important for us to keep in touch.

The asexuality ... movement (?), as it were, can no longer be represented by just one site. We have grown beyond that. AVEN still has its place as the asexual "catch all", where a wide variety of newbies are constantly filtering through, but Apositive is here for those who are past the questioning stage and are ready to discuss the more mundane aspects of day-to-day living as an asexual. We are adults, mostly, who are ready to find a way to play the cards that we have been dealt instead of complaining about them.

So ... calm down and let the AVENites do their thing. They are doing the best that they can with what they have.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Michael Smoker
Established Member

Postby Michael Smoker » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:50 am

Can something be done about AVENites following me onto this forum in order to post slander about me, the way disjointed just did?

Michael

Siggy

Postby Siggy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:40 pm

To be honest, I simply cannot figure out how something that is mostly fictional stories can be construed as AVEN-centric. And even if that were the case I don't see why it would be a problem, since it is AVENues.

Also I don't know where you get the idea that I have some sort of privileged position on AVEN. I am just this guy, you know? I've been around for a year and a half.

Michael Smoker
Established Member

Postby Michael Smoker » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:34 am

Siggy,

The magazine is called "AVENues." That makes its connection to AVEN obvious. The word "AVEN" is part of the magazine name.

All of the contributors, AFAIK, are AVEN members. The spotlight interview is with an AVEN member, when there are 30 million unaffiliated asexuals in the world who could have been interviewed. The essay about Dr. Who is based on an AVEN thread that was active when I was last there.

It's still my contention that AVENues promotes AVEN rather than elucidating asexuality in general. Since management here has no problem with it being promoted on this forum, however, there isn't anything I can do about it.

Disjointed,

I am way past tired of your personal attacks. Things were fine on this forum until YOU barged in and started ordering people to leave. Know what, tho? I don't care. You can keep telling me to leave until you're blue in the face, and it won't make one bit of difference. I'm not going anywhere.

Michael

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:12 am

If I may, AVENues started on AVEN, and AVEN is it's main readership and content provider. That will likely always be the case. None the less, it is an asexual publication, an avenue of visibility, and thus belongs in this fourm. Furthermore, if you have a problem with them, take it up with them. It isn't like they don't put a big ass page in the back asking for submissions and feedback and providing an address to send it to. (And by the way, I say this despite a moderate dislike of AVEN itself).

That being said, I ask we return further discussion to the actual topic.

Michael Smoker
Established Member

Postby Michael Smoker » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Fine by me, Dargon. In future I shall just quietly (as Canadian comedian Don Harron used to put it) exorcise my frenchfries not to read further issues of AVENues.

Michael

Siggy

Postby Siggy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Michael Smoker wrote:All of the contributors, AFAIK, are AVEN members. The spotlight interview is with an AVEN member, when there are 30 million unaffiliated asexuals in the world who could have been interviewed. The essay about Dr. Who is based on an AVEN thread that was active when I was last there.

Oh yeah, I can see that now. But it is explicitly the AVEN newsletter, so it's not all that surprising.

Jicragg
Established Member

Postby Jicragg » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:05 pm

They do accept "letters to the editor(s)" and Ellie is always looking for feedback. I particularly liked Siggy's comment about how fictional-centred (post date: 04 Feb 2011, 01:40) the zine is. I do agree, a better balance is needed, but what else is there to write about non-fictional? Blogs have most, if not all, of the bases covered for non-fictional writing on asexuality... that isn't to say there's nothing else left. One thought is that when people say they're using asexuality as a topic for a school project- depending on the level and how deep it is it would be interesting for it to be posted (or at least a shorter version) in the zine.

As for it only being centred on AVEN, apart from the comments already stated, there's no stopping anybody from doing an Apositive based piece... I'm not certain how that would work but it could happen. A piece contrasting the various asexual sites could be good... or... I have a limited amount of ideas when it comes to things like this.