Plan B Ad

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
Noskcaj.Llahsram

Plan B Ad

Postby Noskcaj.Llahsram » 17 Dec 2010, 16:23

So, through the 'Twitter', I came across the advert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InxaH6DpCgc. I didn't get to it in time to view the comments. I personally don't think that any slight against us was in anyway conscious. I just kinda want to get your thoughts.
What is love? Well, you know that feeling you get when you've been locked in a tiny dark space alone for a year? It's kind of the opposite of that.

Dargon
Mega Member

Re: Plan B Ad

Postby Dargon » 18 Dec 2010, 08:09

I can see some people on AVEN getting their panties in a knot over that, but I see it as a lighthearted joke. Nothing to see here.

Jicragg
Established Member

Postby Jicragg » 18 Dec 2010, 08:55

I don't get it.

The jumping and spinning one makes sense and is funny.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 18 Dec 2010, 10:43

I thought it was pretty stupid as well as very dismissive of asexuality.

'Gave it a thumbs down since the comments are disabled, and discovered that it has gotten a LOT of those with only a few thumbs up.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

fridayoak

Postby fridayoak » 18 Dec 2010, 11:03

I actually thought it was fairly amusing, I suppose if you just read the text-part at the end I could see why it might be deemed offensive but in context it's fine. I think the girl had good comic timing. It was certainly one of the better adverts I've seen recently, but that's not exactly saying much.

SlightlyMetaphysical

Postby SlightlyMetaphysical » 18 Dec 2010, 12:02

Hmm. That's not actually as bad as I thought it'd be, from seeing the writing. Nowhere near as bad.

It still kinda sucks that asexuality isn't seen as a valid option. Then again, for most people, it isn't.
And I think, whatever the intent, this idea that asexuals are trying to be good and pure is a terrible lie.

fridayoak

Postby fridayoak » 18 Dec 2010, 12:32

I just went on AVEN to check the reaction and they are going crazy about it, David Jay is doing some public facebook campaign to get the ad removed and all-sorts. Maybe it's just me being apathetic to the whole asexual "cause" but frankly I find the posts on the AVEN thread about it to be far more offfensive than the actual ad.

paranoidgynandroid

Postby paranoidgynandroid » 19 Dec 2010, 06:42

My test for whether an advertising agency or media outlet talking about asexuality is appropriate is to swap out one orientation for another. This is playing on stereotypes of asexuals being anti-social, what if it was playing on the negative stereotypes of a different sexual orientation?

I'd say that is offensive and damaging to asexuals. I doubt the ad agency would ever consider putting out a variation talking about a possibly pregnant woman irrationally considering becoming a lesbian, it's obviously offensive and would produce huge amounts of negative publicity.

So putting aside much of the AVEN reaction which is mixing up distaste for contraception and anti-sexuality, the message is playing on negative stereotypes and would not be acceptable if any other orientation were substituted for ours.

pretzelboy

Postby pretzelboy » 19 Dec 2010, 16:30

I'm not sure I'd have too much of a problem with it if all there was was the video, but with the purple, gray, against a white background? I simply cannot accept that this is a coincidence. Either they saw us as a sort of joke and wanted to promote their product by making fun of us, or it was more malicious--acceptance of asexuality is a serious threat to the pharmaceuticals goal to make crap loads of money on their "Cures" for "female sexual dysfunction" (a classification that they created and promoted.)

The ad didn't make me angry, but I certainly found it quite troubling. Against a broader political context of the asexual community getting its politics from LGBT politics, the response should be entirely expected--it's pretty standard in LGBT politics that if some group makes an ad that people find demeaning, you let them know that you are none too pleased. And you let all your friends know about it and tell them to let their friends know about it, who let all of their friends know about it, and then a whole lot of people are writing in.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » 19 Dec 2010, 18:22

The "become a butch, man-hating lesbian" thing is not new either.

As for the purple, seeing as Plan B's logo is already a bluish purple on a white background, I'm seeing it as quite likely a coincidence.

To be completely honest, I would be surprised if anyone involved in the ad's creation knew of asexuality as an orientation, and the were entirely playing off the older virgin stereotype.

That being said, if AVEN does raise a ruckus about it, and it gets publicity, well, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

pretzelboy

Postby pretzelboy » 20 Dec 2010, 04:52

I interpreted the Plan B color scheme as blue with a bit of green--to see if the purple and gray for asexuality might be just coincidental, I made sure to check the colors for the product, and I didn't feel that they could at all explain the use of purple and gray.

fridayoak

Postby fridayoak » 20 Dec 2010, 06:50

pretzelboy wrote:And you let all your friends know about it and tell them to let their friends know about it, who let all of their friends know about it, and then a whole lot of people are writing in.

I guess this is what annoys me a bit. People on AVEN are like sheep, a couple of people tell them how angry and offended they should be feeling and how they should sign some petition, and they just go along with it without much independent thought. It's all a bit cringe-worthy really.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » 20 Dec 2010, 14:17

Another aside, it seems the purple/grey scheme is very common is both pharmaceuticals and birth control. Paxil, Nexium, and Zoloft are all purple/grey, as well as Trojan condoms and numerous birth control pill manufacturers use this very color scheme. So saying it is a clear jab at asexuality to use that color scheme is quite a stretch.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » 20 Dec 2010, 14:19

fridayoak wrote: People on AVEN are like sheep, a couple of people tell them how angry and offended they should be feeling and how they should sign some petition, and they just go along with it without much independent thought. It's all a bit cringe-worthy really.

Appeal to emotion my friend. Fallacious as it is, it is perhaps the most effective persuasive tactic I know.

pretzelboy

Postby pretzelboy » 20 Dec 2010, 16:53

Let me modify that a bit there Friday,
fridayoak wrote:I guess this is what annoys me a bit. People on AVEN are like sheep, a couple of people tell them how angry and offended they should be feeling and how they should sign some petition, and they just go along with it without much independent thought. It's all a bit cringe-worthy really.

If memory serves me correctly, people were complaining about this in the Athenian democracy. And the same basic principle is at work today.

fridayoak

Postby fridayoak » 21 Dec 2010, 06:22

Fair points. I guess I naively forget what society at large is like sometimes, living in my own little bubble most of the time. I shouldn't be surprised by the rabble-rousing on AVEN, but I guess when you see it played out on your computer screen in front of your eyes it makes it particularly frustrating and hard to stomach.

The most interesting thing to come out of all this is that the "asexual, asocial, a-everthing" line is also from a Jack Kerouac novel (Big Sur) from the early 60s, so there's a chance the ad's creators were using this as their reference point for asexuality.

Joe of Loath

Postby Joe of Loath » 23 Dec 2010, 12:54

I actually don't see the problem.

Lots of people come to AVEN saying things like 'Can I become asexual?' because they've had bad experiences with sex. This ad seems almost exactly the same. 'I could try my hardest to give up sexual feelings and talking to people, or I could sort my problem out'. Not so bad suddenly, is it?

Huntress

Postby Huntress » 24 Aug 2013, 05:44

I think that these are positively HILARIOUS!!!!

There needs to be a description of the "plan", though.

"After I bought Plan B, I decided to marry a man name Bill, buy a few pantsuits, and run for President!"

Butch lesbians be damned! ]}:(

:clap: :clap: :clap:

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 26 Aug 2013, 08:16

':| :mrgreen:

Granted, she's an acquired taste but she scares Republicans and that's always good for a laugh.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 01 Sep 2013, 10:29

Nearly a 3 year gap and it's rebirth, nice..a question..how do people join then go straight to a thread from 3 years ago...I'm genuinely interested?

runester

Postby runester » 01 Sep 2013, 12:15

Hello PiF! I would like nothing more than to be able to find some new posts to read or respond to, but being a new member, I cannot find my way to the new material pages.

Possibly you can help?

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 01 Sep 2013, 17:06

Around here things are a little more laid back than at some other sites. I don't mind if people add to an old thread as long as it seems to be in keeping with the topic.
Maybe if the place ever gets busy that policy will have to change. but for now it's not a problem.
As to "how"?
Beats me?

Disjointed

Postby Disjointed » 21 Sep 2013, 01:49

Hi rune..the recent topics tab will give the latest although being more adult this forum is slower as people have real rather than internet lives

runester

Postby runester » 28 Sep 2013, 15:45

Hello, Disjointed.

Thank you for the information. I do understand that this is a rather slow forum, and I like your reasoning. Just for the record...I was born in the 1940's, so I am most assuredly an adult. The important part though, is probably that I consider myself being a mature individual who enjoys both a 'real' and an internet life.

I believe that an asexual forum gives the opportunity to create true, platonic friendships. That is what I look forward to here. :halo:

Return to “Community & Public Visibility”