A speaking gig on different and acceptance... Ideas?

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
Belle

A speaking gig on different and acceptance... Ideas?

Postby Belle » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi :)!

I have a speaking gig at the end of the month at a teachers in-service training day. I mostly speak on dealing with facial disfigurement at school, (I have a cleft repair, but that's only because if I didn't people would be blinded by my awesome beauty!) but this time I've been asked to go a little broader. I'm speaking on difference and acceptance in the school context. I'm thinking of mentioning Asexuality (and the by the way Teachers you have met someone who is Ace) when I'm talking about people being multidimensional. Any ideas?

Dargon
Mega Member

Re: A speaking gig on different and acceptance... Ideas?

Postby Dargon » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:36 pm

It sounds like it may be worth just tacking in there, but not going too deeply on it. There is a lot to cover in differences and acceptance, far too many to spend too much time on any. If you hit on alternate sexualities, you might give asexuality a shout-out, but with all the other information to cover, it doesn't seem like you should spend too much time on it.

Belle

Postby Belle » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:04 pm

Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking... They are coming to meet someone with a disfigurement after all, we don't want to blow anyone's mind! Has anyone had experience talking to groups about Aceness? Cheers!

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:47 pm

I have not. Best of luck to you though.