Knowledge Base

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
wyrdchick

Knowledge Base

Postby wyrdchick » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:06 am

Hi

I know I haven't been on here in a little bit, but I've been working on some stuff for the Knowledge Base page and wanted to get some thoughts from the good folks here on a idea for it.

I'm a geek at heart and have been going over lots of comic book characters, one stand out has been the Joker from Batman. While he's the only Gotham villain with a steady girlfriend, he shows not just no emotional interest in her but no physical either. I've read comics where he'll fake being more injured then he is to get out of going to bed with her or simply just throw her into a wall because he's busy planning murder or something.

Based on his treatment of Harley Quinn, I could make a decent case for him being asexual, possibly aromantic too. Or he's a sociopath, but not all of them are asexual.

It's the sociopath part that brings me to put this here. Should I include him? Will people find that offensive because he is such a negative character? I don't think all aromatics are sociopaths just this fictional one. If he is one.

So thoughts anyone?

All so, should I add in children's characters? Not characters that are kids but ones from shows/books etc for kids? I can think of a few from cartoons, but as those are for kids I'm not sure if they should count.

KAGU143
Administrator

Re: Knowledge Base

Postby KAGU143 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:10 pm

From what I know of the Joker character (which isn't much), he is a sociopath first and foremost. If he's also asexual then it's probably a secondary thing.
I don't think he would be a very good choice as an asexual representative - cuz he's about 100 kinds of pure crazy!
The Fool, from Robin Hobb's book series, would be a much better choice IMO. (Of course, you might already have thought of him.)
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

michaels

Re: Knowledge Base

Postby michaels » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:25 am

Re. the other point: characters in books and shows for children are rarely sexual, so you should be able to find a wealth of such characters. But I find that their personalities are often dumbed-down enough that they wouldn't make real-life asexuals look good.