Asexuals on Campus

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
marxr87

Asexuals on Campus

Postby marxr87 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:40 am

I was browsing the topic of how to revive Apositive, and I was thinking about how maybe we could start some campus out-reach programs with Apositive as our main communication tool. I have class soon so I don't have time to expand on this idea at the moment; I just wanted to get the idea out there. We are a minority and I think it would be a great way to increase our visibility and revive Apositive. Please comment and let me know what you guys think!

Dargon
Mega Member

Re: Asexuals on Campus

Postby Dargon » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:20 pm

I did a bit of this when I was at Texas A&M a few years back. They already had a GLBT group there, and a friend and I simply brought up asexuality to them. The following Coming Out Week, Asexuality pamphlets were amongst their stuff.

Now success in allying with a GLBT group may vary. If the group is more about education, then you'll probably have good luck. If the group is more about socialization, you probably won't.

michaels

Postby michaels » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:21 pm

Just to mention yet again that, at the Toronto universities up here, bisexuality is normative. You can ask for help from the GLBT groups on campus but they have such a wide wingspan that asexuality would be a drop in the ocean, and would get lost.

It's hard to promote the visibility of asexuality because it's such an invisible orientation. It's based on the absence of something--the lack of sexual attraction--and it's very hard for the eye to see an absence unless it's represented by a hole where something should be; which is not the case with asexuality at all. So I'm not sure how I would approach this particular endeavor.

tysephine

Postby tysephine » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:51 am

As someone who has grown up in and attends university in the 'Deep South,' our I've seen 2 LGBT groups on our campus and they both seem to work pretty underground. I'm not saying they're ostracized or attacked so they hide or anything like that, but beyond the board in the Student Center (now under rennovation so not even that actually) I never see them. No flyers, no campus emails, nothing. I don't know if that is particularly related to the location of our university - compared to the rest of the state we're actually pretty quasi-liberal (can't say actual liberal).

What I mean to say is - I'm not sure how effective being more visible within a nearly-invisible community would be.
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." -Douglas Adams

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:28 pm

Tysephine, I spent four years at Texas A&M (very conservative) and am in my second year at Sam Houston (even more conservative). While not highly visible, the GLBT groups at both universities at least had tables in public areas at least a few times per semester (the former even had asexuality material, courtesy myself and my best friend). Their flyers and the like get vandalized or destroyed with all due haste, but they do have a presence.

So that may not be representative of even all deep-south bible belt schools.