my message to the activists

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
michaels

my message to the activists

Postby michaels » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:55 am

As well as some advice to all newcomers on Apositive. It was actually expessed much better than I can express it by the Doobie Brothers, as here:

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/d/doobie+bro ... 18044.html

PiF
Apositive Star

Re: my message to the activists

Postby PiF » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:54 am

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:29 pm

I guess the thing that should probably be established is this: What, precisiely, is meant by the term "asexual activist"?

Is it someone who appears on TV?
Is it someone who has a blog?
Is it someone who has been interviewed for a newspaper or magazine?
Is it someone who has been interviewed for the radio?
Is it someone who speaks at medical conferences?
Is it someone who contributes written reports to medical conferences?
Is it someone who makes YouTube videos?
Is it someone who hosts or speaks on a podcast?
Is it someone who marches in a parade?
Is it someone who owns a website?
Is it someone who helps to run a website?
Is it someone who writes a book?

I've probably missed some, but you all can probably see where I'm going.
Who is, and who is not, an activist?
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

FalconEagle
Established Member

Postby FalconEagle » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:01 am

I'm not sure if I get it or not....

Olivier

Postby Olivier » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:30 pm

PiF wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSNuIzw9VfU

:lol: :clap:

michaels

Postby michaels » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:02 am

FalconEagle wrote:I'm not sure if I get it or not....

The key lyrics are: "You/Telling me the things you're going to do for me/I ain't blind and I don't like what I think I see."

This is addressed by the Doobies, who were black, to other blacks who were hungry for personal power and seeking to exploit the black community in order to acquire it.

So the phenomenon of a few power-hungry types exploiting an entire community for personal gain did not begin with asexuals, nor will it end with us. And others within exploited communities have recognized it before, as well, and will no doubt recognize it in the future.

The Ozzy video is also on point because the activists within the asexual community are too expert at Goebbelsian/feminist dirty tricks to be unseated from their current position of power. But my stance of personal neutrality and silence didn't discourage them from harassing me, so I have nothing to lose by speaking out against them.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:31 am

Erm ... the Doobie Brothers were Black??? That's news to me. I think they might have had one Black member, if I recall correctly, but it was the 70s after all, and my recollections from that era are highly suspect. ("Highly" indeed!)

I don't see malicious agendas everywhere I look - not in the feminist movement, not in the LGBT movement, not in any of the many activist groups.

What I see are ordinary people who happen to feel slighted, for whatever reason, and they are trying to do whatever they can to bring attention to their perceived problems with the hopes of getting them solved. No evil, no nothing; just self-focused people who are doing their own thing. If they inadvertently cause harm to some other group I believe that it is almost always due to thoughtlessness, not to any sort of malicious intent.

Olivier

Postby Olivier » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:02 pm

Nancy, agreed on all points (including the Doobies - your memory is correct), with one rider. Activists, in my experience, are not just those who feel slighted aiming to solve their own problems. Most are, but quite a sizeable number simply want change for the better, whether they are direct beneficiaries of that change or not. But I'd agree that altruistic motivations outnumber power-hungry motivations a hundredfold.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:57 pm

michaels wrote: But my stance of personal neutrality and silence

I'm sorry Michael I must have missed that day...do you have a link to it?

ghosts

Postby ghosts » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:49 am

Yeah, I still don't know what "asexual activist" is.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:41 am

I'm trying to get some sort of consensus, ghosts, but nobody has picked or rejected any of my guesses. :(

fridayoak

Postby fridayoak » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:30 am

KAGU143 wrote:I guess the thing that should probably be established is this: What, precisiely, is meant by the term "asexual activist"?

Is it someone who appears on TV?
Is it someone who has a blog?
Is it someone who has been interviewed for a newspaper or magazine?
Is it someone who has been interviewed for the radio?
Is it someone who speaks at medical conferences?
Is it someone who contributes written reports to medical conferences?
Is it someone who makes YouTube videos?
Is it someone who hosts or speaks on a podcast?
Is it someone who marches in a parade?
Is it someone who owns a website?
Is it someone who helps to run a website?
Is it someone who writes a book?

Well one of those applies to me, so I guess that might make me an "asexual activist" - oh the shame!

ghosts

Postby ghosts » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:05 am

KAGU143 wrote:I'm trying to get some sort of consensus, ghosts, but nobody has picked or rejected any of my guesses. :(

If your guesses are right, I guess that means I'm an asexual activist? Because I did a couple interviews w/ academic types & did those zines a few years ago. And I suppose that makes a lot of us who have done visibility stuff activists.

But anyway, these topics really confuse me because I still don't know what michaels is referring to.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:40 am

I know what you mean, ghosts.

I think that I would be considered an asexual activist by almost anybody's measure because I would have to answer "yes" to 5 out of 12 of those categories.
And who knows? I might end up participating in some of the other ones at some point in the future, since half the time I never know what I'm going to be doing until I find myself doing it.

michaels

Postby michaels » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:56 am

It's silly to say that someone who participates in a survey is an activist.

Everybody here knows what I'm referring to, so let's not pretend we don't.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:13 am

Actually Michael, I do NOT know precisely what you are referring to. And I'm not pretending. (Not this time.)

"Activism" is a very broad term (hence the long list of varieties) and I find it hard to believe that you would be against all of the aspects of it. Any activity which is intended to spread awareness of and knowledge about asexuality can be considered to be a form of asexual activism, so you can call it silly if you wish, but someone who voluntarily chooses to take a survey IS an activist - albeit at a very small level.
So, when you say "activists" without qualifying your statement you are, by default, condemning all aspects of activism equally.

When activism is looked at as a whole I think it becomes clear that it's not quite as heavily influenced by the LGBT movement as it would appear to be at first glance, especially if one considers only the Gay Pride parades and the overall political slant over at AVEN. (I remember when DJ was adamant about insisting that AVEN would not ever have an official political stance, but those days seem to have passed.)

ghosts

Postby ghosts » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:27 am

I'm not pretending either. I really don't know what you mean when you say "asexual activist", michaels.

fridayoak

Postby fridayoak » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:17 pm

...the feminist/LGBT crowd I imagine. The ones who parachute in here from AVEN just to put his nose out of joint.

Anyway, in my interview I don't think I mentioned anything to do with the LGTB (why would I? :eh: ).

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:02 pm

KAGU143 wrote:When activism is looked at as a whole I think it becomes clear that it's not quite as heavily influenced by the LGBT movement as it would appear to be at first glance, especially if one considers only the Gay Pride parades and the overall political slant over at AVEN. (I remember when DJ was adamant about insisting that AVEN would not ever have an official political stance, but those days seem to have passed.)

AVEN still has no official political stance that I know of, though the membership as a whole obviously slants towards the liberal side. Has the latter ever been different?

The AVEN membership is very much split on the question of whether asexuals should be in LGBT. However even people who don't like the association between asexuality and LGBT tend to be (a) quite pro- or at least neutral about LGBT generally, (b) pretty supportive of asexuals going on LGBT pride marches. (We don't go on "Gay Pride marches"; the latter label is often seen but is quite inaccurate.)

Birdwing

Postby Birdwing » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:20 pm

x
(I no longer visit this site or AVEN, and I've blocked private messages. Just FYI.)