An interesting pair of agony-aunt columns

A place for discussing real-life community building and media engagements.
ASIC

An interesting pair of agony-aunt columns

Postby ASIC » Wed May 23, 2012 5:51 pm

An interesting contrast between this week's and last week's agony aunt columns from Pamela Stephenson in the Guardian (who is usually all in favour of as much and as varied sexual activity as possible, 'sexual healing' being her speciality):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... had-orgasm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... -boyfriend

In the first case we have the standard "how can I 'fix' my girlfriend who is quite happy with her low sex drive", but then this week for once we have an admission that "some people are simply not interested in love or sex" - almost unheard-of from Dear Pamela!

KAGU143
Administrator

Re: An interesting pair of agony-aunt columns

Postby KAGU143 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:42 pm

Interesting observation.

I kinda wanted to slap that first guy, though. "How can I convince my girlfriend that she's broken since she doesn't want sex as much as I do?"
Geeze ... :roll:
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

ASIC

Postby ASIC » Sun May 27, 2012 1:53 pm

KAGU143 wrote:Interesting observation.

I kinda wanted to slap that first guy, though. "How can I convince my girlfriend that she's broken since she doesn't want sex as much as I do?"

Exactly. It's not even as if she's refusing to sleep with him (so far as one can gather) - she's simply failing to flatter his skills as a lover by evincing vocal enjoyment. If it doesn't worry her, how is this his problem...?

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Mon May 28, 2012 9:41 pm

That was always one of my biggest concerns when I was dating sexuals waaayyy back in the day. It wasn't that they wanted to have sex, because I could understand that, at least intellectually, and see where it would be important to them. The problem was that going along with it wasn't enough. I had to also pretend to like it as much as they did, and that was very much a lie for me. A relationship which requires a lie is doomed from the start, at least in my opinion, and I ended up shunning all relationships for quite a few years while I tried to sort things out.
That first guy sounded exactly like some of my long-ago exes.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.