Introductions

Introduce yourself to the community here.
MiaNoah

Introductions

Postby MiaNoah » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:37 pm

Hello!

My name is Mia and I am 26.

Recently I happened to stumble upon an interesting article that made me realize the problem did not lie within me and that I did not do anything wrong. I have always considered myself asexual, but unfortunately not many people are open enough to consider that as something legit, therefore I always ended up being considered weird or pretentious. I have often been advised to seek a psychologist's opinion about which "traumas" caused this and how to "fix it".

The fact that I am weird is not something that makes me upset, on the contrary. I mean, who doesn't like being different and unique in some ways? What tends to upset me is when people tell me I should just try, because you cannot know that you hate something unless you try it first. I'd have many examples of things that we know for sure we don't like without having to try them first. I just happen to not like the thing that is most commonly liked by human beings.

I would like to be able to learn more about myself and make new friends, share experiences.

I actually have a constant question on my mind: will I ever be able to find someone who feels exactly the same way I do and still be able to be together as "normal" couples are, without feeling pressured to to the things society expects us to? Would it last?

I am quite confused right now, but I hope that soon I will be able to understand more.

Thank you for reading my post!

Love,
Mia
Mia Noah

KAGU143
Administrator

Re: Introductions

Postby KAGU143 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi Mia, and welcome to Apositive! :D

I know what you mean about feeling pressured to conform. I think that every asexual has experienced that to one degree or another. (Usually it's a large degree, and for exactly the reasons you mentioned.)

As for finding a life partner who feels the same way? Well, to be honest and upfront about it, it will be very difficult - BUT, not impossible. All relationships are going to require a certain degree of compromise in a lot of different areas. Finding another asexual will help in one area, but only one. Granted, it's a BIG one, and for the vast majority of people the prospect of never having sex is a total deal-breaker, but if you're patient you can succeed, especially if you're more willing to compromise in other areas.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

MiaNoah

Postby MiaNoah » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:48 pm

Thank you!

I hope to find new friends and learn more about this!
Mia Noah

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:00 pm

MiaNoah wrote: Hello! My name is Mia and I am 26.Mia

Hiya 26.Mia :lol: just joking, welcome

MiaNoah wrote: Recently I happened to stumble upon an interesting article that made me realize the problem did not lie within me and that I did not do anything wrong. I have always considered myself asexual, but unfortunately not many people are open enough to consider that as something legit, therefore I always ended up being considered weird or pretentious. I have often been advised to seek a psychologist's opinion about which "traumas" caused this and how to "fix it".

It's not unusual for asexuals who have yet to discover what they are, to feel broken and like a freak. When you do find what you feel you are then explaining that to others is always hard, even more so if it is something most will never have heard of. Done the syke thing, done the sycology thing and all it confirmed is that like most people...some of my life's stories are drama's. most of them are not and there are still many more stories left to write..as to fixing it..I have nothing broken to fix..apart possibly my people skills but that has bugger all to do with my asexuality :lol:

MiaNoah wrote:The fact that I am weird is not something that makes me upset, on the contrary. I mean, who doesn't like being different and unique in some ways? What tends to upset me is when people tell me I should just try, because you cannot know that you hate something unless you try it first. I'd have many examples of things that we know for sure we don't like without having to try them first. I just happen to not like the thing that is most commonly liked by human beings.

I would like to be able to learn more about myself and make new friends, share experiences.

I actually have a constant question on my mind: will I ever be able to find someone who feels exactly the same way I do and still be able to be together as "normal" couples are, without feeling pressured to to the things society expects us to? Would it last?

I am quite confused right now, but I hope that soon I will be able to understand more.

Thank you for reading my post!

Love,
Mia

I've always felt you should relish your own weirdness and not hide it, being who you are with quirks and all...is how we all should be, listening to others on how we should look, behave, react is all poo pah as no one else will live your life for you, only you will so again I agree..people should feel at ease with their odness

as to normal couples..I have yet to meet one..ever...so don't worry about that..sexual or asexual and will it last? how long is a piece of string is a good benchmark.

Your confusion will pass but Apositive offers a lot but the key to remember is like any forum...it offers a lot of opinions, some you may agree with, some will make you mad and some you will probably feel the poster has probably swallowed drugs :lol: but they are just opinions and you take from them what you will

best bit..read a while..do not let any posts put you off and see what applies to you but by all means join in and ask if your unsure

MiaNoah

Postby MiaNoah » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:14 pm

Thank you most kindly! I really appreciate your advice!
Mia Noah

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:44 pm

He does come out with some good stuff now and again - but shhhhh - don't let him know, it will go to his head :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome here - we're a small bunch of folks but very friendly. I hope you'll feel at home here; enough to post but even if you only lurk, you're still welcome :D
You lose nothing when fighting for a cause ... In my mind the losers are those who don't have a cause they care about. - Muhammad Ali

MiaNoah

Postby MiaNoah » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:46 pm

Thank you! I will try to post, but I am not much of a topic starter... I do talk if people interact with me, though! ^^
Mia Noah

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:51 pm

Don't feel alone!
A lot of us are the same way, but I think that a lot of asexuals tend to be introverts and that might be a factor. Personally, I know that I'm TERRIBLE about starting threads. Admin or not, I almost never do it.
I'm a lot more likely to pop in and comment on a topic that's already going.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

MiaNoah

Postby MiaNoah » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:09 pm

KAGU143 wrote:Don't feel alone!
A lot of us are the same way, but I think that a lot of asexuals tend to be introverts and that might be a factor. Personally, I know that I'm TERRIBLE about starting threads. Admin or not, I almost never do it.
I'm a lot more likely to pop in and comment on a topic that's already going.

This might sound weird, but I don't think I am an introvert, I just don't speak unless I feel I have something big to say. But with friends and people I know I do tend to talk a lot.
Mia Noah

TheGuvnorsMoll

Postby TheGuvnorsMoll » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:16 pm

You created this thread, Mia, so I'd say you're quite good at starting topics!

Cead mile faílte.
'The best Government is that which governs least, if at all' - Henry David Thoreau.

MiaNoah

Postby MiaNoah » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:15 am

TheGuvnorsMoll wrote:You created this thread, Mia, so I'd say you're quite good at starting topics!

Cead mile faílte.

Aww, I guess you are right! ^^
Mia Noah