The Phantom Menace

Introduce yourself to the community here.
KAW143
Administrator

The Phantom Menace

Postby KAW143 » 07 Sep 2015, 14:40

It has been pointed out to me that I am something of a stranger and little more than an apparition on the website I own.

So, hi. It's me. I'm Kæth. The spelling is pretentious, yes, but deliberate as it incorporates a nickname of mine into my actual name. It pronounces the same as it ever did, and doesn't change at all who the person behind it is. For better or worse -- and well, it is up to you to choose whether that is the latter or the former. Feel free to choose either; I honestly don't mind, either way.

I can't really explain my absence, and I can't really explain my presence, now. A+ has been on my mind a great deal, lately, and I suppose I felt the need to dip my toes back into what is, essentially, my creation. A+ was born in collaboration, to be sure, but I'm the one who gave it the positivity. So, when the original owners stepped aside, Nancy and I stepped forward to take the reigns. It seemed important to me that a place strongly, and explicitly linking the terms "asexuality" and "positive" was nothing but a good thing for the overall asexual community, and I felt strong enough about it to put my money where my ideals were.

Of course, I'm not certain it could be said that everything worked out exactly as I had envisioned. Let me make one thing absolutely, positively (heh) clear: As the owner (and presumable, though certainly not demonstrable) operator of a website, I have absolutely no opinion about what goes on anywhere else. I don't care how much trouble you might be in in your personal life, I am just glad you are here. And if it is in my power, I'd like to help, if I can. Likewise, I don't care what kind of trouble you are in on any other (probably not totally) random website. You are welcome, here. Please, feel free to sit down and have whatever conversation you feel the need to have. You are completely free to express yourself, here. I will make certain of that.

This isn't to say that A+ is meant to be any kind of "safe zone", by any means. Past experience has shown me that such drives and policies, while likely well-intended, result in a space that is anything but. I can't promise that what you say will not offend someone else, and I cannot promise that the person offended won't take you to task for your views. A+ is a free zone. Almost anything goes here. Really. Occasionally, we might ask that you not use a certain word, perhaps; but, we might just reconsider the request, if you make an appealing enough argument. But, the point is: you are free to share your opinions, and your true selves without worrying what might happen if your true self rubs someone else the wrong way. Keep it honest, and stay legal. That is pretty much all I will ever ask.

Nancy has done a very thorough job of keeping me informed of the comings and goings and musings around here. Until recently, I didn't really feel the need to step into the conversation, because I really felt that the conversation was already being had well enough without my input.

Recent events, however, have suggested that, perhaps I should crawl out from underneath my rock and make myself known, again. Because, if I am not the one to fill the vacuum of my absence, others will happily fill it for me.

I, too, have opinions and motivations, and I will share those, going forward. For now, it is enough for me to say, "Hello. I own this site. It means a lot to me. I don't own you. But, you mean a lot to me, too; otherwise the site wouldn't be here."

If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. I have some suggestions, too. And I look forward to sharing them with you.

In the meantime, *waves*

flergalwit
Mega Member

Re: The Phantom Menace

Postby flergalwit » 08 Sep 2015, 04:05

Welcome to Apositive! Do make yourself at home here. :lol:

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » 08 Sep 2015, 05:33

*Waves back* Nice to meet you (again) Mr Menace :D
You lose nothing when fighting for a cause ... In my mind the losers are those who don't have a cause they care about. - Muhammad Ali

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 08 Sep 2015, 07:04

Ahaaaa there he is...Helloooo

Spotastic
Established Member

Postby Spotastic » 08 Sep 2015, 08:11

Greetings! It's my understanding that you and I share a lot of things in common (at least as far as being geeky Aspies). I look forward to interacting with you in the future.

Return to “Introductions”