Hi there

Introduce yourself to the community here.
A_Curious

Hi there

Postby A_Curious » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:11 am

Hi, I'm a PhD student, studying the meaning of asexuality in contemporary society. Recently, I undertook a qualitative literature review of 10 qualitative and 2 mixed methods published studies, and analysed the narratives of self identified asexuals within these studies, to come up with what research would suggest are some features of an asexual identity. If I post the findings from my analysis of the qualitative research data to date would anyone be willing to comment on them, either agree with them or disagree, I don't mind? Its a just to get some sense of how accurate the analysis has been. Thanks, Catriona

KAGU143
Administrator

Re: Hi there

Postby KAGU143 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:06 am

Welcome to Apositive, Catriona.

Of course! Publish away!
We don't have a lot of active members, but the ones that we do have are generally very helpful and I'm sure they will be willing to offer some input.
I will definitely help, and I think my husband will also, if I point it out to him. (We are both asexual and have been involved with asexual visibility for many years.)
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

A_Curious

Postby A_Curious » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:05 am

That's brilliant thanks very much. So these are the 3 themes which have emerged from the data, which I feel may be features of the asexual identity. They are based on interview data from 12 studies (10 qual, 2 mixed methods). Feel free to be brutally honest about them. I won't be offended. Thanks so much. By the way, the paper I am hoping to publish from this work is a paper which promotes a need for culturally competent care in the context of asexuality. Here we go;

This qualitative analysis presents 3 significant features of the asexual identity illustrated through the interview data of self-identified asexuals. These features are being presented in order for health professionals and practitioners to be more informed when individuals chose to disclose their identity. The analysis suggests that for those who embrace an asexual identity, romantic differences coupled with sexual indifference, validation of identity through engagement with asexual communities and a diversity of sub-identities are strong features of that identity.

If you feel I need to expand more in this then let me know. I have more written about each theme but I will need to cut some of it down before I post it. Thanks again.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:33 am

Let me know if I have parsed this correctly. I'm trying to sift out the 3 features which you believe are characteristic of those who identify as asexual. (In some ways, I'm very list-oriented so this approach will help me to clarify things in my own mind.)

Those who identify as asexual:
1) Have romantic differences coupled with sexual indifference
2) Find validation of their asexual identity through engagement with asexual communities'
3) Share a diversity of sub-identities as strong features of that identity

My first impression of these basic themes is that they contain a mixture of truth and speculation, but I suspect that I know where the confusion may have originated and, if I'm correct, then I think they are well thought-out, based on the best available information.
It's a very good start, and I'm interested in seeing what else you have.

A_Curious

Postby A_Curious » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:54 am

Hi, yes, that's right - those 3 you've listed. That's really helpful thanks so much for looking through. I'd be happy to share some of my work which underpins these themes. If you are happy to have a look through I will post it here.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:49 pm

By all means! I would be very happy to check it out. :D