Old Ace Codger here

Introduce yourself to the community here.
Cavalier080854

Old Ace Codger here

Postby Cavalier080854 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi all. I'm 63, British, male and was clinically diagnosed as Asexual in 1971. So I have been around the block for some time.
I was in the military from 1970 to 1981. I am in the electrical industry and passed my degree at the grand old age of 62. Who says you cannot reach an old dog new tricks.
I discovered AVEN through YouTube about DJay in 2016 and joined under the same username as here. Got fed up with the identity politics, gender and intersectionality of gender studies ideology and left in December 2017. I was a second class citizen in a site for Aces, most of its members are not even Ace, but kids with identity issues and mental health issues as well as socially inept. Joining AS-NS through a link on AVEN, and from there to here. It is very depressing to find Asexual sites don't last long outside of AVEN. And I hope the ones who do survive.
I took up snowboarding last year after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes for health reasons.

CatBunny

Re: Old Ace Codger here

Postby CatBunny » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:43 pm

Hey, welcome! I have met a bunch of older aces before at ace events, though not that many. Clinically diagnosed as Asexual? Never heard that before...always thought it was just a descriptor for those sex repulsed in psychology.

Yeah the intense politics are pretty over the top on these sites. I wouldn't mind if it wasn't for the fact you get blocked or banned or left a message about how you're a "cissexist, homophobic, transphobic, biphobic, etc scum" for having different opinions on things... and i'm a liberal who votes democrat. You'd these people would be giving me pats on the back, but no.

At least here they won't toss you off for things like that :p
(・×・)

TypoMaster

Postby TypoMaster » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:50 pm

Hello there. Not exactly the most sane or sure person myself, but meh. Nice to see another here, even if I lurk the vast majority of the time.
The Master of Typos.

Cavalier080854

Postby Cavalier080854 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:50 am

I was part of a 1998 study along with 5 other Aces, the youngest being 37, the oldest 72 (I thought she was 58 max) on Asexuality. The common factor being, all of use were clinically diagnosed in the 60/70s. The main thrust was looking at physical effects on Asexuals of images (static and dynamic) usually by pupil dilation or contraction.

CatBunny

Postby CatBunny » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:42 pm

Cavalier080854 wrote:I was part of a 1998 study along with 5 other Aces, the youngest being 37, the oldest 72 (I thought she was 58 max) on Asexuality. The common factor being, all of use were clinically diagnosed in the 60/70s. The main thrust was looking at physical effects on Asexuals of images (static and dynamic) usually by pupil dilation or contraction.

Hmm I heard of that test for sexuality though It seems inconclusive from many reports. I remember in abnormal psych we read about a similar test to understand woman sexuality and they couldn't really come to the conclusion whether the woman tested were bisexual or just woman on general are more easily turned on due to an instinct to avoid sexual assault or something entirely different. I wish there were more studies done though about sexuality...
(・×・)

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:34 pm

Interesting that there is an actual test for asexuality, even if there might be some uncertainty as to its accuracy.
It's a start, and at least it's finally being taken seriously.

Welcome to Apositive, Cavalier! :D
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Cavalier080854

Postby Cavalier080854 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:49 am

Well sexual attraction is usually accompanied by pupil dilation, the observer can pick up on this along with a longer stare. The Naked Ape as well as relationship experts have said this phenomena is real and observable, so biology and emotions do exist and not a social construct.

CatBunny

Postby CatBunny » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:03 am

Cavalier080854 wrote:Well sexual attraction is usually accompanied by pupil dilation, the observer can pick up on this along with a longer stare. The Naked Ape as well as relationship experts have said this phenomena is real and observable, so biology and emotions do exist and not a social construct.

I read though that any emotional change can cause pupil dilation, not entirely indicative of sexual orientation. Why I brought up the more recent female sexuality tests as woman experience this almost all the time compared to men and scientists are still confused why, whether its some survival instinct or something else. I read they're now trying some matrix type machine to attach to your body to test for sexuality but idk how that'll turn out. Sounds very uncomfortable and unpleasant lol
(・×・)

Cavalier080854

Postby Cavalier080854 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:17 pm

We had to wear tiny cameras which looked at the pupils and were designed to check exactly where you were looking as well as pupil dilation. Overall, Asexuals scored extremely high in honesty rating of saying what we were looking at as oppossed to what we say we were looking at. Sexuals, especially women were found to be liars a lot of the time, especially if they were interested in this aspect.