Hello - I'm no longer lurking!

Introduce yourself to the community here.
AFlyingPiglet

Hello - I'm no longer lurking!

Postby AFlyingPiglet » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:31 am

Hello Everyone

I thought I better stop lurking and introduce myself.

I came across the existence of Asexuality in a newspaper article in December 2008 (when the issue of sexuality could not have been further from my mind). At the time I identified as a Heterosexual who was really happy on their own and not looking to be in any romantic relationship. The article mentioned AVEN which I subsequently joined (where I’m also called AFlyingPiglet).

I thought that my life wouldn’t change since discovering Asexuality. In many ways it hasn’t and it many ways it has (for the better I might add!) I would say I’m an Aromantic Asexual, but I realise that any terms we use are only tools as we are far more complex than any terms we might use.

I came cross Apositive a while ago and was reminded of it by ily’s Blog and have been lurking here a while. I like the thoughtful discussion on here as I like to chew things over as I have a questioning nature. I’m fascinated by what makes people tick and if I see a stone, I have to pick it up to see what’s under it!

I look forward to continuing the ponder the discussions on here and joining in (when I have something to say).

ghosts

Re: Hello - I'm no longer lurking!

Postby ghosts » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:14 am

Hey, it's nice to see you over here. :) Welcome!

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:39 am

Hey and welcome

apsaf

Postby apsaf » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:35 am

Hello from another newbie, although I'm probably "newbier" but I think the introduction forum suits me best at the moment, since I'm still trying to catch up with everything.
I'm curious by nature as well, but I want to try to avoid being repetitive, by asking questions and suggesting ideas that have already been resolved and/or discussed ad nauseam. So I'll try to read everything first... unless my nature got the best of me! :lol:

I'm also apprehensive of labels but I feel like a kid in a candy store, like: "I fit into that group which is named such and such? YAY!" I'm enjoying "defining myself with names" but I'll probably grow out of it and won't be limited by them later on.

It's great that you know you're heterosexual. I think I've read somewhere here that it's hard for an aromantic asexual to know. And it's so true. I know what I'm not, but I still have no idea what I am regarding that.

AFlyingPiglet

Postby AFlyingPiglet » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:00 pm

Hey, thanks for the welcomes and it's good to be here and nice to meet some new faces and some more familiar ones.

apsaf wrote:It's great that you know you're heterosexual. I think I've read somewhere here that it's hard for an aromantic asexual to know. And it's so true. I know what I'm not, but I still have no idea what I am regarding that.

No I'm not a heterosexual. I used to define myself as heterosexual, before I knew about asexuality. Now I define as an aromantic asexual, but don't worry about it.

apsaf

Postby apsaf » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:07 pm

Oh OK, I went back and read it again. Sorry! :oops:

AFlyingPiglet

Postby AFlyingPiglet » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:14 pm

No worries :)

Siggy

Postby Siggy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:09 pm

Welcome to Apositive!

I remember you as one of the AVENites who has had helpful answers to some of my questions there. :)

sinisterporpoise

Postby sinisterporpoise » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:51 pm

As I have nothing great to add, I'll just say welcome

AFlyingPiglet

Postby AFlyingPiglet » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:05 am

My goodness, it was a very long time ago when I first posted this. I gather this forum is pretty quiet and was going to close down but is now here for another year.

It is nice to come on here and simply have a look around and it's nice that its less chaotic than AVEN. To be honest, I haven't been on any Asexual website since 2010 as I've been living life away from the internet. Sounds wonderful doesn't it!! Actually its been a pretty horrendous time, which really came full circle towards the end of last year (hopefully).

Since the end of 2017, I've been kind of scratching my head thinking - "so where was I / who was I before 2010?" One thing that hasn't changed in all that time is that I'm Asexual (Aromantic) and I guess, in part, coming back here helps me recover some of my sanity and to feel normal again.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:11 am

Welcome back, AFP!

Yeah . . . I think we've had more cricket noises than anything else around here for quite a while, but I hope that we might be able to attract a few regular posters before our last year is up. Otherwise, I guess we will sail off into the sunset. Even a few posts a day would be enough. It makes me kinda sad to look up and read the names of members who have come and gone, but I guess that's the nature of the internet.

I wonder if asexuality isn't inadvertently destroying its credibility by trying to invent a new name for every single subcategory? There is strength in numbers and weakness in division.
It's just a feeling that I have (and OMG I HATE the "snowflake" label!), but I can't help being concerned. Maybe it's just a quirk of this entire generation?
I don't know. I suppose I might be able to get a better feel for it if I spent more time at AVEN, but you used the term Chaos very appropriately, IMO.

I'm all about peace, quiet, and the freedom to be an individual. AVEN is way too hectic and crowded for me!
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

apsaf

Postby apsaf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:27 am

Hi AFP! Wow, I hadn't received a notification from this site in ages! Thank you for coming back and bringing me back with you :)
Same for me; a lot has changed in my life but a lot is also the same. It would be too bad for this place to go. I've always liked it even if I didn't post much. I can't believe it's been 9 years since I last posted, yikes! Where did time go?!

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:59 pm

APSAF!!!! *leaps and hugs*

What's been happening?

('Lots of changes for me too, but mostly just mundane stuff.)

apsaf

Postby apsaf » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:03 am

Hey KAGU143! *hugs back*

I seriously cannot believe it's been that long! Well, I discovered the term "asexuality" around 2008, I'm 40 now. I think I've become more cynical, skeptic or maybe pessimistic overall. I don't know if it's age or the general direction "progress" has taken. I don't know, I guess I was hoping for an evolution towards less obsession with romance, marriage, kids and more "all and any relationships can be equally important overall and society will accept each individual's list of priority relationships" or something to that effect. What I'm seeing is more obsession with marriage and LGBT folk jumping on that bandwagon. I'm also not very happy with the direction feminism has taken but that's another issue...

Sorry, rambling, thank you for the welcome back!

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:16 pm

Don't worry about rambling. It's one of the things that I do best!
I don't really have any issues with the LGBT and marriage since I'm all for equal rights, but I have always had some issues with some aspects of feminism.
I won't go into details because I think a lot of people would be very offended, and it's hard to put things into context when all we have is text without body language and tone of voice to help add depth to the meaning of words.