Hi

Introduce yourself to the community here.
wyrdchick

Hi

Postby wyrdchick » Sat May 28, 2011 11:16 pm

I'm so new, so very very new.

I'm 26 and read an explanation about asexuality for the first time a bit more than a week ago and cried for about half an hour afterward. I have never in my life been this happy. I still can't stop smiling and, yeah, crying a little bit sometimes. It is a good crying, though.

When I was 14 someone who loved took me aside for a private conversation, and told I had been raped as a child and if I just stopped repressing those memories I could be normal. This has been repeated to me by therapists and other people who really do want to see me happy.

I've never believed that, yes my brother and I fought consistently and to a disturbing degree of violence and to this day don't speak or get along well when forced into each others company, but I have never been raped or molested. I also have never been interested in anyone sexually.

I tried once, and it just wasn't for me, I had no interested in sex. At the time I just figured I wasn't 'ready' and my friends told me I'd meet the right guy one day.

I've been obsessively reading at AVEN and other sites linked from there and everything I've read just makes this feel right and good in a way I have never felt before.

This is the first time I'm posting anything like this anywhere. I've only talked to one person (my mom) about it so far, and she's happy that I'm happy and is now sending me wiki links about it. And now I'm crying again and grinning my fool head off.

So, yeah, hi, I'm Jessica, I'm asexaul and I abuse commas.

Dargon
Mega Member

Re: Hi

Postby Dargon » Sun May 29, 2011 9:20 am

Nothing wrong with comma abuse. I recall my freshman English class in college, wherein every paper had roughtly the same comment: "Great paper, work on comma splicing."

Anyhow, it's good to hear that things seem to be going so well now that you have found out about asexuality. It can be quite the relief to find you are not alone.

Welcome, I look forward to seeing you around the forum.

apsaf

Postby apsaf » Sun May 29, 2011 10:12 am

That was my first reaction when I found out too! It's true, it's the biggest relief to find out you're not alone and that you can stop waiting to change or trying to fix yourself and just enjoy a normal life. Welcome!

michaels

Postby michaels » Sun May 29, 2011 5:35 pm

What I want to know is what evidence the people who told you you'd been abused as a child had of any such abuse. Was it a knee-jerk reaction on their part, as in, "Nah, there must be something wrong with a person who is not interested in sex?" What ignorance! You are a very nice person to be happy right now, because in your place I'd be furious, especially at the so-called "therapists." Words cannot describe the fate that some of those charlatans deserve.

wyrdchick

Postby wyrdchick » Mon May 30, 2011 8:53 pm

It was the fact I didn't like being touched and I use to get really nasty panic attacks. Though my mom did cuss out one of the shrinks that tried that line on me.

It was awesome.

I was thinking of commenting on some of the older posts that seem to have gone dead, is that okay or should I let them sleep? I really do want to get involved with this community but the AVEN site scares me. Right now I'm thinking about putting my obsessive geek side to good use and filling in stuff on the Knowledge Base page.. is that okay?

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Tue May 31, 2011 8:06 pm

While on other forums thread necromancy is often frowned upon, things here are often slow enough that we don't think poorly of it. Post away.

As for the knowledge base, I do think your help would be welcome. Greybird (KAGU143) would probably be the best to talk to about that.

Belle

Postby Belle » Tue May 31, 2011 11:44 pm

And a Hi back from me too...

I was / am really excited as well, it was like things just clicked into place, so I'm happy for you too :)

I've already written on older threads and hey yours might be just the one that adds a bit of helpful fresh air through it and others might follow.

And I'm a professional linguist: Comma away to heart's content! We have this whole area of linguistics where people make rules just to break them and see what happens, it's called 'conversational analysis', and well, it's better than sex... But then again that's not saying much for me lol.

If it helps, I realised I was asexual a month ago, three weeks ago I turned 40... That's a whole lot of 'meh'... :) My life has been turned upside down is the best way possible.

Welcome from another newbie... :)

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi, wyrdchick. :)
I have apparently been hiding under a rock for a few weeks ... not sure why that is ...
Anyway, a much-belated welcome to Apositive!

As for resurrecting old threads? I have no problem with it at all, especially if you find one that seems to really fit a topic that you wish to discuss. In some cases the opening posters might not be around any more, but that won't discourage other people from commenting.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.