note of introduction (in medias res)

Introduce yourself to the community here.
AtomⓇ

note of introduction (in medias res)

Postby AtomⓇ » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:57 pm

WARNING FLAG for anyone sensitive to certain words....there's no other place to begin after the 'hello' greeting and sharing my sense of gratitude. Next paragraph: for the longest time, I felt conflicted. Some friends honored me with whatever category seemed the most positive to them: gay, celibate, christian yet those categories were far from accurate as I have romantic crushes on women, am not interested in a life of denial or falling in-line with a religious community. Someone who uses the metaphor of the spectrum might call me demi-sexual and it might be accurate though words never completely get at the queerness of reality. In my practice, I keep my sex drive private from others but love flirting, romance, kissing, cuddling and certain things leading up sexual bonding. This is what is natural and healthy for me; like all of you, I am neither broken, a charity case or a late-bloomer. I now accept myself as I am: no more miraculous deus-ex-machina, no more nothing. You can call me Atom.

tysephine

Re: note of introduction (in medias res)

Postby tysephine » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:16 am

Welcome! :)
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." -Douglas Adams

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:49 pm

I'm trying to figure out what words you are talking about.

In any case, I tend to be a fan of your aforementioned spectra; thing about spectra, there are an infinite number of points, so those labels on single points don't always fit people.

In any case, welcome.

disparity

Postby disparity » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Categories can never be accurate, even if we choose the labels ourselves… Unfortunately, we are often so stuck in them, that the revelation that we are not what we have always thought we are is usually an excruciating experience… If you could talk to the people who surround me, most of them would tag me as “completely normal” – married, three kids, education, career, etc. Yet, for the past twenty years, I have been agonizing over what I perceived as a handicap, a disability… The irony lies mostly in the fact that my adolescent fantasies of marriage were dominated by the notion of having someone to cuddle before going to sleep… there was no one to warn me that for most men cuddling is just a small insignificant part of a package deal…
The voices in my head may not be real but they have some pretty good ideas.