Hello

Introduce yourself to the community here.
sidneyia

Hello

Postby sidneyia » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:45 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm a 27-year-old, autistic, aversive asexual. I used to be on AVEN but left around 2006-07 because it didn't feel like a safe space for sex-aversives. But lately I've been needing asexual community and wanting to meet new people, so I figured I'd try this forum. I am also interested in doing some in-person visibility work if there are any opportunities in my area.

I also blog a little big about asexuality, and my husband and I were featured in the (A)sexual documentary.

mindlife

Re: Hello

Postby mindlife » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:17 pm

I have just come from AVEN.
I'm sorry you did not feel comfortable there, and I hope your discomfort was not brought on by anything I wrote.
I still go to AVEN, but I don't respond very much. If there's something that I really think needs my attention, I'll write.
It's good that you made it here.
THE Ocean has its silent caves,
Deep, quiet and alone;
Though there be fury on the waves,
Beneath them there is none. N. Hawthorne

KAGU143
Administrator

Re: Hello

Postby KAGU143 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:32 pm

Hi Sidneyia, and Hi again, Mindlife! (I was Greybird over on AVEN, starting in early 2004)
Welcome to Apositive!

This site is focused, at least in theory, on dealing with asexuality as a given situation which can be successfully dealt with, regardless of how it came about, and on finding and sharing ways in which that can be done. That's the explanation for the "Positive" part of our name. It is perfectly alright to be sex-averse here, but there is a good chance that the subject is going to come up since the need to compromise with sexuals is an ongoing part of being asexual. Hopefully it won't become too squicky for your comfort.

AVEN has always seemed to me to be more of an introductory site, with a lot of questions like .. What is asexuality? Am I asexual? Can you still be asexual if you do X, Y or Z?
It's also become a lot more politically involved, and I think that is the part that is currently making me most uncomfortable over there. I still visit from time to time, but nothing like I used to - and of course it was mandatory to appear daily during the seven-plus years when I was a mod.

The rules are more relaxed over here, so kick back and enjoy!
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.