Hello

Introduce yourself to the community here.
ParaLLL

Hello

Postby ParaLLL » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Hello! I... honestly am not sure if this forum is still alive, but I'm hoping so. Anyone here?

ASIC

Re: Hello

Postby ASIC » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:31 am

People drop in from time to time.

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Good to know. Is anything in particular going on? I tend to be oblivious to anything that isn't exceedingly obvious until it's pointed out.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:42 am

Hello and welcome to Apositive, ParaLLL!

This place has been extremely quiet recently but it isn't dead yet. (I hope!) It seems to go through phases.
I've been busy with a lot of real life stuff lately and I am guessing that maybe our other regular posters might be having similar issues?
'Long days of summer, and all that stuff ....

Nothing particular is going on, at least nothing that I know of. All of the asexual drama du jour seems to be happening over at AVEN, but since I'm no fan of internet drama or conspiracy theories (or politics of any sort, for that matter) I will stay here.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:31 pm

Yeah, AVEN was a bit more... emphatic about certain things than I really wanted to stay around.

As for activity, can you think of any way I could help? I'd like to if it's possible; this seems like a very good site.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:34 am

Wow. Time warp!
This is what happens when I get involved with trying to dig out a tree by hand - I come indoors, drop in my tracks, and completely forget to check Apositive. OOPS. Sorry ..

I honestly don't know what it would take to jump start this place. Captioned photos, maybe?

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:20 pm

Most of my idea was to find every site that allows people to post advertisements and spreading advertisements around. I'm not sure how well that would work though, since the vast majority of sites like that that I know of are RP sites.... I do know a few people who wandered away from AVEN that I can suggest join here, but there aren't enough of them to make that much of a difference by themselves even if they did all stick around.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:29 pm

Hmm ....
I'm pretty finicky about advertisements, depending on what product or service they promote, of course. If it's genuinely related to asexuality then it will usually be okay.
I try to take things on a case by case basis.
What kinds of advertisements were you thinking of?

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:58 pm

The advertisements I was thinking of were like RP sites will have a forum to advertise other sites; make an advertisement for this site, and post it on RP sites (and any others that have an ad forum), mainly because that's the only form of advertising that I know of that you don't have to pay for. I can think of some sneakier ways to do similar things, though they'd also be more complicated... but as far as I know the only way to find this site so far is from AVEN's list of asexuality sites, which makes it pretty unlikely that people will join, since the only people who will see it will already be on AVEN. *checks Google* 'Asexuality forum' does bring this up on the first page, but after several other results including multiple AVEN links. 'Asexuality' doesn't bring it up at all. Basically I think having more ways to find the site would help, but I'm not really sure how to make that happen.

I did also notice, though; I looked through the Contributions forum, and found a lot of links to the Knowledge Base, all of which were dead. What happened with that?

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:32 am

Good question.
The knowledge base was made before my husband and I took over this site.
I will see if I can track down the previous owner and see if he knows what might have happened to it.

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:29 pm

Hm. If you can't get it back, can you add new stuff to it?

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:00 am

It looks to me like the permissions for that part of the board are set so that any member can add to it if they want to.
I see nothing wrong with updating it ... heck, a LOT of new material has been created since this board was first created.
The puzzle to me is ... what happened to the info that was in there originally? *clueless*

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:16 pm

That, I have no idea about... good to know that it can be recreated, though.

Do you have any idea about how this site could be made more visible? I suspect that a lot of people who otherwise would join just can't ever find it, but I don't have any really good ideas for how to fix that.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:58 pm

I'm not really sure how to make it more visible. (Other than by paying Google for it, and that really isn't an option for us.)
I spent some time looking at the various parts of the ACP back when we first adopted Apositive because I was thinking much the same as you. I wanted to see if there was something like a motto or something that could be added to the name in order to catch the search engines, but if there is a way to do that I have been completely unable to find it. It seems that there are some aspects of the site that could only be done once, when it was first made, and I can't do anything to change those parts of it.

As I understand it, Apositive was intended to be sort of "Asexuality 202" and I guess the assumption was that most of our members would have first been to AVEN and already gone through the questioning stages and/or the hand-wringing, and that they would be to the point of looking for practical ideas about living and functioning as an asexual in a sexual world. This site has never really been geared toward those who are still in the questioning stages. Apositive is also a lot more tolerant of topics and viewpoints that might cause some problems at AVEN, and the moderation style is different.

I know that bots from all of the major search engines visit this site on a regular basis but I honestly don't know what it would take to get their attention.
Suggestions are welcome!

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:22 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have many suggestions... I have been finding more and more people that left AVEN because they didn't like it, though, so there are certainly people who would like this site if we just could find them. Though I do think that, more than just help with living and functioning, we'd need to develop some kind of community here; I've never seen a site that's survived any length of time or kept any members around without having a community; I can't really tell if you're thinking about that aspect or not.

On a more cheerful note, I'm currently at a camp, and a friend today and yesterday dragged me to a workshop discussion of sex ed; today I found out that another girl in the discussion was asexual, and our conversation about it convinced a sex ed teacher that was present (and pushing various reforms to the program anyway, so apparently can get stuff done) that discussing asexuality needed to be added to the curriculum. So yay!

I and a friend are planning a site that will be... function similarly to deviantart, in that people can all make accounts and upload art/writing/music/video, but will be themed to be about sexuality and gender identities and related issues and experiences (and with most of what's uploaded hidden from nonmembers so that the best can be 'published' by making it public, so that hopefully non-members will start following it, or at least spreading some of the resulting art). It is a complicated idea and, since neither I nor my friend are at all technologically inclined, fairly far in the future, but once it does exist I'll certainly make a point of mentioning this site for people to go to as an alternative to AVEN, if you'd like. That won't really help much now, though. The best I can think of is to recommend the site to anyone who might be interested, but that requires finding the people who might be interested first, so that wouldn't be very reliable....

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:51 pm

I welcome everybody here, asexual or not, and I'm pretty tolerant about off-topic discussions as long as they might have some vague, theoretical connection with asexuality - even if it's only occasional or just in the beginning. There is also a forum specifically set aside for random topics of all kinds.
I agree about the idea of having a community and I would welcome it, but it seems to require a certain critical mass of posters in order for one to get started and we haven't been able to get to that point.
I certainly don't try to prevent it.
How do we find a group of people who want a loosely moderated place to communicate with each other? I don't do the "3 warnings and you're out" thing here. If a post is bad enough to be a problem then I will edit it and tell the person what I have done in a PM. That way they can make whatever changes they might need to make in their posting style, but without having it become a big, public spectacle. I have found that most people appreciate this because it is a more adult way of doing things. I have never had to ban anybody for bad behavior. (yet) Spammers yes, but no members.

So - lets abduct some people, hold them up at fingerpoint and make them post here! Maybe that will be enough to get things started ...

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:13 pm

Let's! As soon as we can find a source of people to abduct....

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:18 am

:rofl:

I'm all for it!

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:43 pm

I might have an idea! Do you spend any time on facebook? I have an account but generally am only on once every week or so, so I'm not sure if what I've noticed is accurate. But, I've seen pages and groups and whatever for being gay, bi, and/or transgender, as well as more direct anti-phobia versions. When I typed asexuality into the search, though, it just came up with a definition, and even that's just copied from Wikipedia. If there isn't a proper page/group, maybe we should start one? It'd help with visibility, and probably give us a way to find people for this site other than AVEN. I don't really know enough about facebook to be sure if that would be a good idea, though, or even if I'm right that there really isn't anything already there. Do you?

*edits* So, more directly related, the majority of communities I've seen that have fairly consistent membership seem to have some sort of 'talk about anything' thread, whether it's actually labeled that or not. Actually, it seems to preferably not be labeled that, since if it's not, people have a topic to default to if they run out of things to talk about. The particularly one I'm thinking of is called How Was Your Day (originally two separate threads; venting about bad days and cheering about good days), but there are plenty of other variants. So, maybe something like that here? With some sort of default topic (other than asexuality, since any comments on that would have plenty of threads already) that's easy for everyone to join in on. Perhaps the captioned pictures? And... I had other ideas, but I lost them. *kicks brain*

Also! I saw a the Real Life Visibility forum, but not really anywhere for online visibility stories/ideas/suggestions/etc. Where would those go?

lizlemonade

Postby lizlemonade » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:20 pm

I had an idea. You could find bloggers who write about sexuality issues and whatnot, probably on tumblr, and send them a message about the board and see if they would give it a llittle signal boost. I have a friend who runs an LGBT* news blog who might be able to write something up.

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:26 pm

I've had difficulty finding asexuality blogs... that could definitely help, though.

lizlemonade

Postby lizlemonade » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:35 pm

I think it would be better to search for blogs that focus on a variety of sexuality issues instead of just this branch, since it's not something as large as gay/lesbian or even trans* issues I don't think, but can be covered under the umbrella.

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Do you know of any? I did know of one video series, but it seems to have disappeared....

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:03 am

Googling "asexuality blog" I came across this list from AVENWiki that has several blogs linked. Figured it would be useful, even if it doesn't have all of them, there.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
―A.A. Milne Winnie-the-Pooh

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:45 am

Better than what I knew of, anyway, thanks! I'll look at those. Also, hello!

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:16 am

You're welcome. Also, hi! ^_^ heheh. Apositive is a great place for discussion beyond 101, even though it has its slow spells. Maybe word of mouth and a teensy bit more traffic can help that, eh?

I'll admit, I've not been one for blog-reading in the past, but I'll have some extra time on my hands, soon. So, perhaps I will join the blog-watch as well :P It is interesting to see the many branches of the asexuality community.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:47 am

Hopefully. Unfortunately I don't really know many people to help with the word of mouth bit, but I will inform anyone I do find.

And yes! I've prettymuch been cut off from the asexuality community entirely prior to this, since I didn't stay around AVEN. Finding that a community does exist outside of that is quite nice.

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:30 am

I know there are several other sites outside of AVEN, but I'm guessing they don't get as much traffic/google hits, either. Though.. AVEN doesn't purport itself to be the only asexual website/community, so there is always room for more! ^_^

Hrmn... maybe Apositive could host events, like specific topic days or... get in touch with other community website admins to bridge the gap and cross-link each other? Could help to change things up a bit and revamp the theme/skin.. You know.. to let people know that this place is still alive and kicking!

I'm still on AVEN, but I agree about the drama. Yeesh. It's nice to find a li'l peace outside of that. ^_^'

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:46 am

I think a new skin could definitely help; if nothing else, the colors of this one look like it's a default skin, and no one made a new one or even found one to use that someone else made, so the site may look a bit half finished.

Topic days could be interesting... but they'd still need people to be here to see them. Maybe coordinate with other sites; we have topic days, they have some other kind of event at different times, and everyone advertises each others' events? That should be fairly easy to do, I'd think.

Specific topics could also help with... I don't know, giving the site a focus, maybe? Probably it's just because there aren't really any people here, but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out exactly what is supposed to happen here. Maybe once a topic has been discussed, it could be turned into some kind of summary/essay/something?

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:02 pm

As far as I know, Apositive is like the next step beyond the usual 101 conversation you see happening a lot of times on AVEN. You have the new members coming in, discovering a bit more about asexuality, asking the usual first questions.. but what then?

So, this place (from what I have gathered) is like the continuation of the community, to let people talk about asexuality from a 202 perspective. "You've learned that you are asexual/demi/grey/whatever and understand what asexuality means to you. Now what do you have to say about asexuality in the world, with your friends, in your relationships, etc.? What do you agree/disagree with? How is what you think different than what is out there, and why?" and so on. Er... that's been my impression, at least. Still needs people to accomplish this, though. So, if they hang out and see that new stuff has been added, maybe they'll stick around and start participating or creating new discussions?