Hello

Introduce yourself to the community here.
ParaLLL

Re: Hello

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:10 pm

That's about the impression I got, too. I seem to remember a lot of threads along those lines on AVEN, though, so I'm not sure that just discussion by itself would be enough to... make Apositive something unique, I guess? Give us something that AVEN doesn't already have.

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:11 pm

uh.... talking dolphins? ^_^
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
―A.A. Milne Winnie-the-Pooh

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:29 pm

Aaaand now I'm thinking of Pern. Though I do adore stingrays... talking sea life in general, maybe?

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Hehehe, sure. I wasn't too familiar with Pern, so I had to look it up (yay, google). You're talking about McCaffrey's Pern, right? From what I've read as description, it seems a good read.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:47 pm

Yep! It is good, but a bit... outdated, particularly in the earlier books. I believe the series was started in the 50s, maybe even the 40s, so the first books contain things like the heroine falling in love with the guy who by current standards would be abusive, because he's just so good at sex she can't help it, even though she didn't necessarily have any say in whether they had sex (though to be fair, neither did he, due to the dragons). It improves as the series goes on, but those first few books are definitely questionable....

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:55 pm

O_o ......sounds it. Hahahaha! I'll have to add it to my list. :)

Too bad there isn't a chat, here...

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:57 pm

Yeah... that could be another addition that could help the site, actually.

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:00 pm

I know people would flock to it, but i also know it could invite really frustrating types, as well. People just looking to troll chatrooms, or making others uncomfortable. As awesome as Apos is, or used to be, at handling such things... chat happens in real-time and things can get crazy pretty fast. So I could understand why the powers that be, here, don't have it as a feature. It would be like opening a can of worms, so to speak.

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:03 pm

I was thinking more of cboxes, actually, but yeah, they'd have similar issues too. Something that only members can get to would help a little bit, but probably not enough....

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:12 pm

hrmn, yeah. chatboxes like... facebook, right?

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:20 pm

I... don't think facebook has them? I don't really spend much time on facebook though, so I don't know. It's basically just a little box that's part of the site, or one page of the site, which people can all chat in. Some versions require people to sign up, others you can just type your name into and talk.

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:23 pm

ohhh like a general scrolling chat box. usually appears on the left or right side of the page? *thinks this is it*

*edits*

A shoutbox! That's what I'm thinking of.

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:28 pm

Yes! That. I'm used to calling them cboxes, but yes.

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:29 pm

that would be so nifty. Very user friendly! :3

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:57 pm

It would! Especially with the size Apositive is; I can't imagine AVEN not breaking a cbox just from the sheer number of members, but it should work quite well here, if trolls can be kept out or dealt with somehow.

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Mmmn, I guess it's in the hands of the admins, now.

So... how is your day coming along?

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Good! I don't have to run today, so that's always nice. How are you?

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:34 pm

I'm good, though a bit bored with the overall day. Seems like it's almost over, and I don't feel like much has happened at all. Blargh...

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:40 pm

That can be irritating... at least we came up with a nice supply of ideas for the admin to consider?

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Indeed! At least something productive came out of my ponderings today :3

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:48 pm

Productive ponderings are always good. And! It has occurred to me that I don't think I've technically met you yet, so hello! I'm Para.

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Salutations! I'm immy, imo, imon, monroe, monroez, roe or any other variation thereof. Though, we've probably met on AVEN at some point, if indirectly.

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:55 pm

I left AVEN after about a week, so probably not actually, unless you stalk the introductions forum? The name does seem a bit familiar.

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:58 pm

hahaha, no. No stalkerizing for me. :P

Wow, a week? that's unfortunate. :/ I know it can get crazy, there, but that's sad to hear.

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:01 pm

Yeah, my introduction post didn't get the best response, and when I was stalking the forums afterward I saw a number of places where someone who'd been around for a while apparently got away with mocking someone who hadn't been around as long, so I left pretty quickly. It wasn't any particular drama, just that I don't have any patience for places where 'I've been a member for three years already!' is an accepted justification to pick on people, and it looked like some of that was happening.

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:10 pm

Mmn, understandable. Would be nice if people could behave themselves..

I think it's part of the responsibility of older members to help care for newer ones, when it comes to community and all that. Like.. especially if they can relate to how it felt first finding the place and trying to discover things on their own.

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Yeah. Fortunately all the mocking posts I saw were on different topics; the sarcastic members seemed to restrain themselves when it actually had to do with asexuality, so that's good at least. And I have sent a few different people to AVEN who've stuck around much longer than I did, too.

imonroe

Postby imonroe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:47 pm

I've been on there for years, so I feel like an old fogie on AVEN. hahah.

Well, I've got to get going. Working tonight and have laundry and a nice nap to cross off my list before the day is truly out. It was nice 'technically' meeting you, Para! :)

ParaLLL

Postby ParaLLL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:50 pm

*waves* Nice technically meeting you too! Good luck with work.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:06 pm

*wanders in from the woods*

Hi Everybody!

Chatboxes? ??

I have tried to interest Kæth in the idea of having some sort of chat at Apositive, but to no avail - at least not yet. I'm more or less the default admin around here, and maybe even the only remaining staff member at all (has anybody seen Dargon lately?) but I would still have to clear anything like that with Kæth. It seems to me that the free chat programs which are available leave a lot to be desired, and anything that we added to the site would definitely have to be free.
Are there any free chat providers out there that play well with phpBB and can function reliably without spamming us with ads, bringing in too many weirdos (a few is okay) or causing the site to crash? If you know of any, please give me the specifics so that I can have something more concrete to bargain with.
I'm not drastically opposed to the idea, but it would be an enormous change and it would require moderation plus a lot more time than I currently have available.

Lots to think about, if it could even be done.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.