Hi, new to idea of asexuality, trying to clear up confusion

Introduce yourself to the community here.
KAGU143
Administrator

Re: Hi, new to idea of asexuality, trying to clear up confusion

Postby KAGU143 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:13 am

Hi Carmella, and welcome to Apositive! :D

I like to think that Apositive is a useful addition to AVEN, although I don't expect that we will ever become a replacement for it. (I hope not! I much prefer a small town to a megalopolis.)
I might know what you mean about aesthetic attraction, though. It was a great source of amusement to my teen-aged and 20-something friends that the sight of naked bodies had such a predictable effect on me. I would always be looking around for drawing materials and paper.
The idea of actually interacting with nude people has never interested me at all. It still doesn't, even decades later.

There has been some recent discussion about whether or not asexuality is a sexual orientation. It can easily be argued from several different directions. I have some thoughts on the matter, too, but I'm having a hard time sorting them out to where they will make sense outside of the dense fog in my head.
I think the choice to call it a sexual orientation was a calculated decision on the part of DJ and AVEN's other founders, with the intention of making it easier to defend as another aspect of sexual normality rather than a pathological condition. Whether it's the best possible explanation or definition is still open to discussion.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.