Help

General discussion about relationship issues.
Twenty-Seven

Help

Postby Twenty-Seven » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:38 pm

I am asexual. Well, I may not like to admit it, but technically I'm heterosexual, because I feel physical attraction towards females. It's not that hard to ignore these feelings though.

Anyways, I oppose romantic relationships in every form. Is there a word to describe me? I've heard "aromantic", but I need a proper term. Does anyone know? I've been looking all over but am unable to find it.

EDIT: Is this in the right board?

Placebo
Established Member

Re: Help

Postby Placebo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:52 pm

Well, you are against relationships. . .that's talking about relationships. . . probably as good a board as any!

Lots of people that don't feel romantic feelings towards others (myself included) use the word "aromantic" to describe themselves. But, it almost sounds as though you're against romantic relationships in general. .. perhaps "antiromantic" would be better for you? Whatever you feel comfortable with though, really. Out of curiosity though, are you personally opposed to romantic relationships involving yourself, or in all kinds involving other people in romantic relationships?
"Now it's right for me to be me."

Phil Halvorsen, from "The [Widget], the [Wadget], and Boff" (Theodore Sturgeon)

Twenty-Seven

Postby Twenty-Seven » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:37 pm

Well then, I'm aromantic, but I'm also antiromantic because I despise the basic principles of romance. It's disgusting. I was looking for a proper term, but I guess antiromantic works (and I think it sounds better than aromantic). Thanks.

ghosts

Postby ghosts » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:43 am

There's different ways of thinking about this. But what exactly are the basic principles of romance? I'd just like to understand where you're coming from a bit more.

Placebo
Established Member

Postby Placebo » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:39 pm

ghosts wrote: But what exactly are the basic principles of romance?

Man, if someone could explain that to me I'd be overjoyed!! :lol:
"Now it's right for me to be me."

Phil Halvorsen, from "The [Widget], the [Wadget], and Boff" (Theodore Sturgeon)

cyan

Postby cyan » Mon May 05, 2008 10:56 pm

Another important question (at least to my mind) -- are we talking storybook / Hollywood romance, or are we talking real romance between real people? Also, is it the "romantic relationships" you object to, or simply "romance"?

Throwing in my two cents as an example, in an attempt to clarify the lines I drew above: I think Hollywood romance (rose petals and overly dramatic wooing and such) is silly, and would probably be pretty dismissive of anyone who tried to pull that sort of thing on me in real life, but I would like to be involved in a relationship with a person or people that is of sufficient depth, commitment, care, and some indefineable "other" (that I hope I'll know when I see ...) that it would qualify as a "romantic relationship".

Also, slightly off-topic request for clarification: is it physical attraction you feel, or sexual attraction? There are some asexuals (including myself) who experience physical attraction; just not sexual.

Carsonspire

Postby Carsonspire » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:28 am

Just out of curiosity, if you are opposed to romantic relationships, what kind of relationships do you "support"? I ask because there are an infinite number of relationships outside of romantic relationships; you just have to find/define what works for you.

~Carsonspire