Is Blood thicker than Water?

General discussion about relationship issues.
Karl
Administrator

Is Blood thicker than Water?

Postby Karl » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:50 pm

I've never really been close to my father's side of the family because of my parent's divorce and other events that effectively caused a family feud when I was a child, so I only grew up having regular contact with my mother, sister and grandmother. Until the last few of years, I always believed that my relationships with these three people were pretty strong and I always made an effort to be nice to them and make them proud of me. But, as I approached my 30s, I found myself becoming more and more irritated by them, and more and more grudging in my tolerance and affection towards them. But I did continue to tolerate their faults and I wasn't ever angry enough to tell them what I really thought about them.

Moving to the other side of the world, outside of their direct influence and regular contact, seems to have revealed to me just how little I actually like or care about them. This became most apparent last year when my mother decided she was coming over to visit me for two weeks. The very thought of that really stressed me out. I've very much settled into my new life here and I like the person I am and the way I live in a way that I never have before. I realized that my family no longer fit into this way of life, and that my mother's visit was going to be difficult to get through.

We managed to just about get through the first week together only because I insisted on her booking a hotel. She would have been happy using our couch, but we would have ended up killing her. Nevertheless, she began to realize that she really wasn't very welcome. I didn't like to say "That's because you're not" because that just seemed too harsh at the time, but it's what I was thinking. I did my usual job of reassuring her just to stop her crying, but that wasn't going to be the end of it.

For some stupid reason, we had thought it a good idea to go on a weekend trip to the other side of the state together and share a hotel room. I really must have been high when I had suggested this, but I believe that we were financially hard-up at the time, so sharing a room seemed like a good idea. This was all booked months ahead of her arrival, so it wasn't until she was here that we realised how awful it was going to be. After 6 hours in the car with her, my wife and I were both frayed around the edges and decided to get our own room, to hell with the cost. The idea of spending the next two days in her company was just too much to bare. This set off a chain reaction of events (one of which involved my mother insinuating that my wife is some kind of psychotic knife-wielding maniac who controls my life) which ultimately led to me telling her exactly how I felt about her and my family in general, i.e. that I didn't miss her and didn't feel the need to be in regular contact with them. We went our separate ways and haven't spoken since.

A week or two later, I received an e-mail from my sister, demanding to know what I thought I was doing. I told her the same thing as I'd told my mother. Her response was full of phrases designed to induce guilt, such as "we are after all flesh and blood, but that obviously means nothing to you" and "apart from your spouse, your mother should be the most important person in your life" and "I don’t know why you feel you have to repay her in this way" and "Just have a good think about where you’ve come from" and "I just hope you don’t live to regret it". I decided not to respond to all that. I couldn't think of anything to say that would help the situation, so I thought it better just to cease contact altogether.

Ever since then, apart from the odd pang of guilt, I've just been getting on with my life quite happily. I know there is a possibility that I'm going to regret this some day, for some specific reason or other, but I honestly believe that the benefits of not feeling obliged to do and say things to keep the people I am related to happy for the rest of my life outweigh that chance.

Now, I know that my mother 'gave birth to me', that she 'raised me in sometimes difficult circumstances', and that she 'only wants what's best for me'. And I hate to use a so-often-cited-by-stroppy-teenagers phrase like this, but, correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't ask to be born. She, as a grown adult, chose to have children, and I resent the use of the phrase my sister used about 'repaying' her for bringing me up. Surely, if she truly loved me, she would not expect any form of repayment for doing what is required of her because of a decision she made?

So, anyway, where's this all leading?

Well, I know there are people here who are all about redefining relationships, so I thought we could talk about that old adage about Blood being thicker than Water (especially as that's a phrase that my dear sister threw at me).

I understand that, historically (and presently, in some cultures), being close to your blood relations may have been (or may be) extremely important, but just how relevant is that to postmodern, developed society? Everyone bitches and moans about their family, but they stay connected to them. Is it really because they love them, or is it because society says that you have to love them? Or maybe they just want to keep their family members sweet so that they have someone to fall back on if things go wrong? I'm interested in your thoughts. Does my cutting ties with my family mean I'm some kind of monster, or does it make me smart? Am I brave or foolish?

Vittoria

Re: Is Blood thicker than Water?

Postby Vittoria » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:07 pm

I don't know how objective I can be, what with being the knife-obsessed, controlling maniac --I swear, she has me confused with Lady MacBeth-- but the people I share DNA with ... well, I share DNA with them. Yes, I'm glad my childhood was relatively trauma-free, but this isn't a thing to jump up and down about, as childhood is *supposed* to be as trauma-free as possible. I've never understood the gratitude children are supposed to have simply for not being beaten up by their parents. It's like when a father takes care of a baby and everyone coos, "He's such a good dad." No. He's a dad. That's what they're supposed to do. It's a sad commentary on the state of society if you have to congratulate a man for looking after his own kid. If you weren't planning on doing that then don't have them.

Yes, mom, thank you for giving birth to me (just like all the other mothers on the planet). Thank you for looking after me (like you were supposed to). Thank you for not beating me senseless (like you weren't supposed to).

Is someone going to tell me way-to-go for breathing air in the way I do?

Kez

Postby Kez » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:37 pm

I do get on well with my parents - it's really weird, because I'm part of the very few families (that I've heard about) that never argue or fight. We bicker (about the remote control, etc), but I can't imagine us ever fighting like you hear/see being talked about.

That said and done, I don't "love" my parents. I like them, and like being around them, but love? I can't say I've felt that.

I feel closer to my friends, and you guys. I can tell you things I _can't_ tell my parents, and I can get even more *coughs* personal with you guys, because I don't see you everyday.

Jessamyn
Established Member

Postby Jessamyn » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:41 pm

Kez wrote:I do get on well with my parents - it's really weird, because I'm part of the very few families (that I've heard about) that never argue or fight. We bicker (about the remote control, etc), but I can't imagine us ever fighting like you hear/see being talked about.

That said and done, I don't "love" my parents. I like them, and like being around them, but love? I can't say I've felt that.

I think you're more likely to fight with people you really love than you are with people you just feel indifferent to, because when you love someone, the problems that come up actually matter. and when you don't love them, then the issues don't matter, so why bother fighting?

in any case, go V! you keep breathing like the knife-obsessed controlling maniac you are! *pom pons* *throws confetti* *hands out trophies*
I may be a bunny, but I still have sharp teeth. *gnaws*

Kez

Postby Kez » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:54 pm

True, bun. But my parents don't fight either, and they love each other (I think).

I think it's more because all of us hate conflict... so we avoid it.

I'd do anything for my family, but I think the "love" I'm thinking of (romantic love) doesn't really exist between siblings/parents.

*scratches head*

Love is a strong word.

Saiya

Postby Saiya » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:05 pm

I've been away at uni and tend to go for months at a time without seeing or hearing from my parents,
i am actually glad of this though.
My brothers i haven't actually seen in over a year now and i can't say i miss them, there are odd moments
when i do feel guilty but then i think what have i got to feel guilty about.
As Vittoria said above i'm also not big on being thankful for a choice my parents made or for them
raising me well as let's face it, that was all their decision to make in the first place. It had nothing to do with me.

As for my upbringing, i was forced to share a room for that entire time with
one of my 2 brothers and be between them when they decided to not get along, i'll be honest i like having my own space and not
having to deal with either of them.
As for my parents, as accepting as they seem to be of me they have been very awkward around me since discovering
that i'm asexual, this and numerous other reasons i won't go into really mean i don't feel that close to my parents either.
I'm definitely grateful that their still helping me out but once i've repaid them (money wise) for helping me out through
uni i'm not sure if i really want to stay in close contact with them.

I would say that ultimately blood doesn't mean a lot, children are expected to grow up, leave and lead their own lives.
It's natural to want to have your own space and put aside more time for the people closest in your life and if that's not
your family then it shouldn't matter.

ghosts

Postby ghosts » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Hm.... I think it depends on the person. In my own situation - well, I've definitely had some family problems, and I continue to have them. When it comes to my immediate family (mother, father, brother) - I can say that I love them, even though problems can come up fairly often. But there is honestly a connection there because of our shared history... Even though, for example, I've not always gotten along very well with my father - there's still that feeling of, well, he's my father. And I just can't let that relationship go. Unless he does something horribly awful to me someday, or the relationship just somehow starts to go *really* downhill, I imagine that I will still feel the same way.

However, different people have different backgrounds and experiences, so I can't expect everyone to feel the same way I do. While I have an honest desire to stay in touch/connected with my blood family, I don't expect everyone to feel that need.

As for whether blood is thicker than water - I guess I don't really think so. For me, I guess there is a connection there because of the fact that we're relatives. But, I feel as though I have other family members that aren't blood related - basically, a chosen family, if that makes any sense? I know I haven't invented that term. ;) And they are just as important to me.

Gadfly-in-Chief
Established Member

Postby Gadfly-in-Chief » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:46 pm

Well of course blood is thicker than water. It's an indisputable scientific fact. But perhaps we should express it scientifically: Blood is denser than water. Make of that what joke you will.

Catsup, I should like to note, is thicker than blood, and tastes better.

That said....

My father died when I was 11. Not much to say there on that account. My mother died when I was 35. But I really think I was close to her more because, after I grew up, we became friends. (She once told me that the thing in her life that she was happiest about was that she became friends with all three of her children.) And yes, I realize how odd and rare and perhaps creepy that is. But there it is nonetheless.

I have two older brothers whom I see on average once a year or so. I talk to the oldest every two weeks or so, and to the older four or five times a year. We get along well enough; I would not say we were friends or enemies. If we were not related, I doubt we would have bothered to stay in touch. But we have all three done very different things with our lives, and mostly have high degrees of tolerance for things about each other we may not always understand or like. I am closer to the oldest that the older. Since we all grew up, he has always accepted me as I am without question. He once let me live in his cellar for a year while I tried to figure out what to do next with my life. My left kidney is in him. The other later in life became a fundamentalist biblical-inerrancy Baptist minister. I suspect he knows I am an atheist. We get along fine largely because there are huge areas of our lives that we have an unspoken agreement not to discuss.

There is one cousin who was my best friend for a couple of decades, but we have drifted apart. I don't really miss it. For a decade or so I was very close to one niece. I do miss that. We get along fine. I just wouldn't say we are that close any more. But that is perfectly natural. It all is. Hate or love or indifference. All perfectly natural. We haven't quite devolved to the point where we only see each other at weddings and funerals, but we are probably not far from it. That is also perfectly naturlal.
Yes, the unexamined life is not worth living. But as a student of logic, you must realize that this does not imply that the examined life is.

Mr. Paradox

Postby Mr. Paradox » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:27 am

I'm good friends with both of my parents and both of my step-parents. This is a direct result of all four of them being awesome people, the kinds of people I'd like to have in my life regardless of kinship ties. I don't take this as a given.

My sister, for instance, I love dearly but have rarely talked to since I was about ten. We just established a pattern of distance at some point. I like to say we never fought enough when we were younger, and thus didn't develop a proper sibling relationship. Of course, we've also been in different hemispheres for much of the last decade, and she currently lives in a cabin in rural Kansas, so maybe we'd come to interact more if brought together for a long period someday. For now, I'm proud of the things she does and she's proud of me, and that's enough.
"He cannot, however, long remain asexual when he sees the great peasant girls, as ardent as mares in heat, abandoning themselves to the arms of robust youths."
--Havelock Ellis, Studies in the Psychology of Sex

Nijiiro

Postby Nijiiro » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:33 am

I wouldn't say blood is thicker than water, but it IS different and, however much we hate the thought, it does mean something. Not enough that it should control your life or breed guilt, but we all have that connection. Adopted children often seek out their 'blood relatives'. Because it means something. And it's a connection you can't lose no matter what. You can stop talking, but you still share the same DNA. There is no escape.

But I also agree entirely that you shouldn't have to feel the guilt or pressure you do from family. And yet, I always find it sad when rifts are caused between relatives. However much I complain about my family and they upset me or dissapoint me, I want them to be some part of my life. Maybe not a constant nagging part, but at least a christmas and birthday card part XD
Outside my immediate family, my relatives all live the other side of the country, so I've always got on with them and they've always seemed great. But when you talk to cousins who are there all the time.... they have quite different opinions. In fact, when my dad left I actually got on with him better.

Relatives are just a mechanism for helping you leave the nest. Willingly. Desperately.

Then again, it's in the news all the time about how relatives are, um, 'getting with' relatives....because they didn't actually know they were related. Family trees are becoming family circles with the amount of step-siblings and half siblings. It's quite frightning. Blood kind of starts to matter there.

Vittoria

Postby Vittoria » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:06 pm

Nijiiro wrote:Relatives are just a mechanism for helping you leave the nest. Willingly. Desperately.

:haha: great. And tell me about it. I couldn't wait to get the hell away from my family. I like them just fine. Over <i>there</i>.

ceres

Postby ceres » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:06 am

Now, I know that my mother 'gave birth to me', that she 'raised me in sometimes difficult circumstances', and that she 'only wants what's best for me'. And I hate to use a so-often-cited-by-stroppy-teenagers phrase like this, but, correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't ask to be born.

I have grown children now, and generally, I make myself scarce.
Except on Facebook, where I've been keeping a running commentary to my son in Iraq.
When my children were small, I used to say all kinds of things to them like,
You're precious, my precious child;
All creation is happy to see you well;
You are a blessed child;
You're my tweetheart, &c, &c.
I haven't said those things in years to my two eldest, even though I think them a lot. I do write them often to my youngest son who is in so much danger.
The point is that I know that there will be times in which the world is unjust and unforgiving to them. There will be things that work out right, and those that don't. But I want them to have, somewhere in the backs of their minds, these words I said to them. I want them to have some kind of validating cushion in their memories. I would hope that this is what I gave them. Because apart from that, I don't think there's very much parents can do once children are grown.
My own parents kept distance between me and themselves, and I think that was the best thing they could have done.
Yet I never forgot that they loved me and I was their precious child.

70thousandfathoms

Postby 70thousandfathoms » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:57 am

I never quite got that leaving-the-nest urge, and moved back in with my parents after I finished my BA. I'll probably have at least a master's before I cultivate it and head for the big city. Who knows. I might stick around for years. We get along surprisingly well. They do get on my nerves sometimes (and I'm sure I return the favor), but we're all conflict-avoidant enough that it never really becomes a source of strife. My older brother and I are rather distant, but I attribute that mainly to the twelve-year age gap between us and the fact that he is an intensely, heroically private person. We wish each other well, which is an improvement over our past relations.

Emmarainbow
Established Member

Postby Emmarainbow » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:04 pm

I am great friends with my mother, my brother and sister, but I can't help thinking that they miss me more than I miss them when I'm at uni. I love them all, and I also love my dad, but I don't get on with him. I have an utterly different outlook on life and set of beliefs, but I can't help loving him all the same - although I tend to like him more when we're apart. Oddly enough, it was the exact opposite when I was a little kid - hated my brother and didn't like my mum very much, adored my dad.

I've still never found a friend I am so close to that I couldn't imagine losing touch with them. I've got some friends I sincerely hope I never lose touch with, but none I can be certain. Whereas I can be certain with my immediate family. So, at the moment I'd say blood is thicker than water for me, but then I'm only 18 and still sporadically in the nest. So I'll see what happens - and whether I still like my sister once she's gone through puberty.

Nijiiro

Postby Nijiiro » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:10 am

70thousandfathoms wrote:I never quite got that leaving-the-nest urge, and moved back in with my parents after I finished my BA.

Same here. But it was through poverty, not desire. And I shouldn't complain since I spent the last year or two being a lazy bum.

Noskcaj.Llahsram

Postby Noskcaj.Llahsram » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:07 pm

70thousandfathoms wrote:I never quite got that leaving-the-nest urge, and moved back in with my parents after I finished my BA. I'll probably have at least a master's before I cultivate it and head for the big city. Who knows. I might stick around for years. We get along surprisingly well.

Dido here. Even though I live with my parents I rarly see or speak with them, and only then in purely technical manner. Actually thinking about it the last time I spoke to anyone in my family was Christmas and that was just required pleasantries. The only thing I ever had that could be considered a familial relationship with were my classmates; I was in french immersion, that sort of 'segregation' for lack of a better word breed a very interesting community, after 6-7+ hours a day with these people for 13 years that whole blood thicker than water question gets murky. These people weren't just classmates or friends they were the ones you learnt the ones you played with, who socilised you, who were on your sports team who kick you ass, who dated, who rejected, who loved, who was nice, people who simultaneously gave you faith in humanity and destroyed it; your first your last. Then all of a sudden because of some stupid piece of paper over 24 hours 90% of this community disappears forever from your grasp, the remaining 10% is thrown into the obscure realm of internet correspondence.
Anyone who has that many people leave their life like that, family or not, must takes time to deal with it,; even me and I'm probably the most cold/distant/aloof/socially inert person you will ever meet :sigh:
What is love? Well, you know that feeling you get when you've been locked in a tiny dark space alone for a year? It's kind of the opposite of that.

Mysteria

Postby Mysteria » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:57 pm

Heh. I hate my family, and if you read my post in the reactions thread, yeah... that's why.

Although I do have the sweetest grandmother on the face of the earth... and I guess my sister's ok, when she's not being a total bitch. Some of my cousins aren't so bad either, but yeah... for the most part I could do without ever seeing most of my family members again.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:21 pm

Aside from my sister, I could happily never see my family again.

In all honesty, I do not love my parents. I have some respect for them both, but I do not love them, as I quite honesly feel they are incapable of accepting who I actually am. Yes, they "guilt" me with the "blood" thing, but it has no affect. In fact, it drives me further from them, since it seems that the blood relationship is the only thing they can pull to try to bring me closer.

I, however, do have friends who I do love "like family."

cijay

Postby cijay » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:45 am

In my case, yes, blood is thicker than water. That's not to say that I don't have some friends I consider family but for the most of it, my family is everything to me - for better or worse.

I do know that, for a lot of people their friends are way more important to them than their family. So I don't think there's a hard fast rule as to blood being thicker than water.

Shockwave

Postby Shockwave » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:30 am

My blood is thicker than water too. When I was growing up my family moved around a lot so I had to leave my friends behind. I got into the habit of not forming close bonds with anyone who wasn't related because I knew it wasn't going to last anyway. My family is really tight though, we get together once a month just to party. And any time I need something all I have to do is ask and somebody will help out.

Shockwave

Postby Shockwave » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:05 pm

Ok, in my last post I said that my blood is thicker than water. I love my family in general...but there are certain members that I really wish I could kick out of that family. Here's an example: In our monthly family letter my uncle was talking about sin and the end of the world and told a story about a group of men who killed a gay man and (here's the part that gets me) he then went on to say, "And now they are in prison while the homosexual was made a hero." THAT WAS A COMPLAINT!!!

EGD

Postby EGD » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:43 am

um, I have never used that statement. laughs

Fox

Postby Fox » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:05 pm

I get along quite well with my family. I can't say I would put my life on the line for them, or that I love them unconditionally. They're that bizarre relationship that can only be described as familial. There's no easy way to put it, really. It's more a possibly symbiotic relationship, although it's currently running more parasitic, as they have yet to do any real mooching off of me, although I do quite a bit of mooching off them. Like a tribal community of sorts...you get along with them because you need them or might need them. Your aunt helps you pick out clothes for an interview, you turn around and pull the gecko out from behind your herpaphobic cousin's fridge.

So for me it's more a you-scratch-my-back-I-scratch-yours kinda thing. Affection...possibly, love...in some places. It's more needing other people to fall back on. One could do the same with friends, certainly, and in that same way good friends can become family. My parents have friends I've known so long they might as well be. I would have no problems asking them the same favors I do blood relations.

And as to blood being denser than water...is it regular blood, or is there stuff suspended in it. Some types are denser than others.
"I had an encounter with Death and all I got was this lousy sheep bone."

Vittoria

Postby Vittoria » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:02 am

Shockwave wrote:In our monthly family letter my uncle was talking about sin and the end of the world and told a story about a group of men who killed a gay man and (here's the part that gets me) he then went on to say, "And now they are in prison while the homosexual was made a hero." THAT WAS A COMPLAINT!!!

Wow. That's... wow. Do these people also feel that women who get raped deserve it?

Shockwave

Postby Shockwave » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:33 am

I don't even want to know. I try to avoid that part of my family as much as possible, they're a pretty screwed up bunch and they think they're going to heaven for it.

One of my preachy uncles molested one of my sisters when she was a child. I'm actually glad she didn't tell me which one, because I'm not sure I could be as forgiving about it as she is. I only had to put up with the verbal abuse myself and that was enough to make me want nothing to do with them.

disjointed

Postby disjointed » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:53 pm

sometimes people confuse family with a right

most of my family are okay but they are very different people, I look at people not as familly or as friends and view..are they a positive part of my life?..that and that alone defines who I allow close and who I have no time for

some feel "but they are family" is a get out of jail card for people being nasty to others and thinking you are supposed to tolerate it because they are "blood"

I have yet to meet a friend or family member who is 100% positive in my life..but..for most who have been negative..they have had the "family " label attached

allow into your life who you want and when you want works for me

Roy

Postby Roy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:54 pm

I concur, I have zero tolerance for people who use the "b-b-but they're family!" card. The sense of attachment most people ascribe to family is not "love" as it is most often called. I would describe it more as a parasitic mechanism of self-preservation to become attached to a group of people who provide you with necessities such as food and shelter. Taking this attachment to the extremes to forgive family members for being utterly worthless human beings is an act of gross negligence, especially if your parasitic bond with them has already ended. People should be regarded equally and meritocratically, sentimentality be damned.