forbidden by dad????

General discussion about relationship issues.
michaels

forbidden by dad????

Postby michaels » 18 Apr 2011, 05:21

I know a woman who is an aromantic ace, just like me. Because of mental problems she collects disability and lives with her parents despite being 38. She bought an ace ring and started wearing it, but has lately had to take it off because of vociferous opposition from her father. He feels she doesn't need to "flaunt" her asexuality or "rub his face in it."

Although her situation is likely rare among adults, I can sympathize with financially dependent teenagers who face a similar situation. I'd like to say that I wouldn't put up with that kind of thing for a second, but then, I'm not financially dependent on birth relatives, so who knows?

KAGU143
Administrator

Re: forbidden by dad????

Postby KAGU143 » 18 Apr 2011, 05:34

'Sounds like she might have inherited those mental problems from her dad?
*meow*
(temporary attack of cattiness)
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » 18 Apr 2011, 06:21

The cattiness seems well warranted, Greybird.

The whole "flanting your sexuality" thing is something that has always blown my mind. I especially love it when dads follow "don't flaunt your nonheteronormative sexuality" with "your mother and I."

Remember kids, any displays whatsoever of nonheternormativity is "flaunting" it.

michaels

Postby michaels » 18 Apr 2011, 08:02

Her dad actually has muscular dystrophy and is pretty much confined to a chair. (Not a wheelchair, but he spends 99.9% of his waking hours sitting down at home.) So I guess I should give the guy a break. But Dargon has it absolutely right. My word for these kinds of limited human beings who put all of their eggs in the basket of reproduction is "breeders." On childlessness support fora, I've seen them called much worse.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » 18 Apr 2011, 13:04

At risk of sounding rude, muscular dystrophy may be cause for some slack, but it's not a free pass to be an asshole. I've seen that more than a few times, people cut slack to disabled people's attitude problems, and I've even seen the disabled get all offended when you call them on their bullshit rather than giving them a pass. Some people just take advantage of everything they can. Not saying all disabled people are like this, but I've seen it more than a few times.

I've also heard the term "breeder" before, generally in the case of those who can accept nothing aside from a "normal," heterosexual, monogamous relationship with the eventual goal to bring up children. I tend to opt for the slightly less specific yet still apt descriptor of "assholes."

michaels

Postby michaels » 19 Apr 2011, 00:00

Dargon wrote:I tend to opt for the slightly less specific yet still apt descriptor of "assholes."

:)

michaels

Postby michaels » 24 Apr 2011, 11:45

disjointed wrote:it may also be that the father is so afraid of her leaving to be with a partner that he maybe alone

Not sure I understand. If she "flaunts her asexuality" then she's actively discouraging potential partners. Wouldn't that make him feel more secure about her not leaving?

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » 24 Apr 2011, 16:59

michaels wrote:If she "flaunts her asexuality" then she's actively discouraging potential partners. Wouldn't that make him feel more secure about her not leaving?

Not 100% true. She might discourage those that are highly sexual, but at the same time being out also ups the likelihood of finding yet another romantic asexual, wherein thing may have a pretty good chance of working out.

If she's not out, odds are better for the subject of sexuality to come up later in the relationship, leading to time wasted on relationships that would have never worked out in that sense.

michaels

Postby michaels » 25 Apr 2011, 06:35

Dargon, she's _a_romantic. Does that make a difference?

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » 25 Apr 2011, 08:04

In that case either way is rather irrelevant. If she isn't interested in relationships, then it probably isn't going to happen either way.

Though if it is out on the table at the get go, roommate sort of relationships are a lot easier to get, and paying half of the rent is a lot nicer than the whole rent.

clouded_perception

Postby clouded_perception » 30 Apr 2011, 05:11

Can't she just take the ring off when she enters the house? He needn't know she wears it.

rizvi777

Postby rizvi777 » 31 Jul 2011, 17:22

Why would her dad do that? What's wrong with wearing an ace ring anyway?

michaels

Postby michaels » 01 Aug 2011, 05:07

She hasn't mentioned the ace ring in several months. I rarely wear mine myself, simply because I forget to put it on. Disjointed has a point, in that being ace doesn't need to be high-profile if you're not being hassled about your orientation.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 02 Aug 2011, 03:49

(Just FYI to our "real" members: I'm 99.999% certain that rizvi777 is one of the new generation of spammers who leave a single, innofensive post or two in a forum in order to escape being banned immediately. I wonder if this might be how some of those "earn money online" scams actually work? In any case, I have decided to experiment with a new strategy to deal with these spammers, which is to remove all links from their profiles and signatures. Let's see what happens!)
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Return to “Relationships”