First off, I know it looks a little messy and cluttered right now but that' something I'll work on over the next couple of weeks. The newly upgraded forum software means that all site content can be managed from one installation rather than the previous set-up we had with two different installations. This has benefits for everyone involved, even if you can't see that right now. Most people don't like change, so I'm anticipating that some of you will protest about this new set-up. Please bear with me whilst I get everything configured the way it needs to be and whilst I modify the templates to tidy things up.
Here are some things you need to know:
- The Blog Posts forum has been set up so that all new topics posted in there will appear on the portal front page in a pseudo-blog format. Only moderators and administrators can start new topics in there, but everyone has permission to reply to them. If you have a good idea for a blog post or would like to have a crack at summarizing an interesting forum discussion into a more digestable format for the front page then please contact me via PM.
- The old Contributions forum has been hidden for now until we decide what to do with the existing contents. With the new forum-integrated Knowledge Base feature, we've got some work to do on transferring information from the old knowledge base to the new one, and then we'll look at the other contributions that were never dealt with. In the meantime, every registered member now has permissions to be able to write their own Knowledge Base articles (though all articles will have to be approves by a moderator before they will appear on the site).
- If they didn't automatically carry over into your profiles, most of your previously uploaded avatars are now available in the Gallery section of your User Control Panel's Avatar Options. I'll probably remove them from there in a few months, though, so that other new members can't use your existing personal avatar themselves and cause confusion. Linked avatars have not carried over at all, as far as I can tell, so I'm afraid you'll have to relink or find a new one.
- Most of the existing internal links will probably not work now because the entire forum has moved out of it's previous 'forum' subdirectory and into the domain root directory. I don't think this is going to be a huge deal because we don't have a massive number of posts, and there's probably not that many internal links in the public forums. I'll attempt to fix any that I come across but I really can't see this being a major issue.
- I've now transferred all of the most interesting blog posts (with illustrations) from our old Wordpress installation to the new Blog Posts forum so that they will appear in our pseudo portal blog.
- I've created a new Introductions forum so that new (and existing) members can formally (or... informally) introduce themselves to the rest of the community.
Please let me know about any bugs or problems you have with the new set up by posting about them in the Feedback forum. I'll post updates as they occur in this thread, so keep an eye out for those new post flags...
Thanks for your patience!