Knowledge Base Team

Site-wide announcements. If we need to know it, post it here.
Karl
Administrator

Knowledge Base Team

Postby Karl » 03 Feb 2009, 16:11

I've now set up the main categories for the Knowledge Base feature of the new forum software but we still need to transfer everything that was in the old site's KB to the new set-up, and to decide on additional categories and subcategories, as well as hunting down new content to add.

I think it would be great to form a small team of volunteers to help out with at least the initial stages of getting this project off the ground. If required, I can create a new group with additional permissions to enable the members to get the job done efficiently (at the moment, only moderators have the ability to approve KB articles - not that those who are in the moderator group are not welcome to volunteer for this team, also!). We could also have an additional hidden or permission-restricted forum for planning purposes, if required.

By the way, the old site is still accessible on this domain, in an archived subdirectory, until such a time as we have retrieved all of the content that a handful of dedicated contributors spent so much time putting together last year.

It occurs to me that one good way of finding new content may be to set up Google Alerts or similar and have them directed to a single e-mail inbox or RSS feed. Mining the net for new content could be the responsibility of a single member of the team or a shared responsibility, depending on how people would like the team to be structured.

If you're interested then please post in this topic or let me know via PM, and we'll see how things develop.

pretzelboy

Re: Knowledge Base Team

Postby pretzelboy » 04 Feb 2009, 03:01

I'm already subcribbed to google alerts for "asexual" and "asexuality" with regards to blogs. (Commenting being an big way of promoting my blog . :shifty: ) So I could help with mining for new content.

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » 04 Feb 2009, 12:03

That'd be awesome!

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » 04 Feb 2009, 12:10

pretzelboy wrote:(Commenting being an big way of promoting my blog . :shifty: )

By the way, any blog posts that link to Apositive will automatically appear in the Asexy News Feed block on the portal page, instantly providing a reciprocal link back to the poster's blog. ;)

FalconEagle
Established Member

Postby FalconEagle » 15 Nov 2011, 08:07

*bump*

Whatever happened to the KB project?

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 15 Nov 2011, 09:13

I think it sort of got lost when Apositive changed hands, except that the RSS feed on the portal page still works and it will link to any article that Google can find which mentions the words "asexual" or "asexuality" .
I think that some of the data might also be held at AVEN.
I don't think that AVEN is necessarily a bad place for it, but the search function over there has been dicey for quite a while and I fear that that particular website isn't the most helpful option for long-term data storage.

I wonder if Pretzelboy even remembers that he offered to help, way back in early 2009?

Need a job? O=
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

FalconEagle
Established Member

Postby FalconEagle » 15 Nov 2011, 19:19

Ahh. Its just that I had heard some stories of the ''extensive knowledge base'' from somewhere before (probably the AVENwiki), and had heard that it was lost at some point. :(

I wouldn't mind helping out........I've done quite a bit in and around the AVENwiki, I'm a bit of a documentation geek, but I can never guarantee perfection. :P

And I think I may know who Pretzelboy is. IF they are who I think they are, they're still active over at AVEN.

Return to “Announcements”